Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Electric car

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
woozzle

Electric car

Post by woozzle » Sat Jul 29, 2023 4:26 pm

Ole gits rule wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 7:59 am
Dave1971 wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 11:11 pm
Ole gits rule wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 8:13 pm

Have you switched to a low cost night tariff for charging
Yes. We've switched over to a intelligent octopus. We get a guaranteed 6 hours at cheap rate at night(7.5p per Kw). You also get some other cheap rate hours on an evening when the grid has spare energy to dish out during quiet spells.
Yep switched over yesterday - just siting newt the charger installer and all good to go - will be running all the appliances (washing Machine / dryer / dishwasher at night as well)
Can someone explain why it costs approximately 15p per kwh to charge a night storage heater to heat in a home but only 7.5p per kwh for a EV.. Is it super special magical electric from the fairies :headbang:

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Electric car

Post by Ole gits rule » Sat Jul 29, 2023 6:19 pm

woozzle wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 4:26 pm
Ole gits rule wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 7:59 am
Dave1971 wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 11:11 pm Yes. We've switched over to a intelligent octopus. We get a guaranteed 6 hours at cheap rate at night(7.5p per Kw). You also get some other cheap rate hours on an evening when the grid has spare energy to dish out during quiet spells.
Yep switched over yesterday - just siting newt the charger installer and all good to go - will be running all the appliances (washing Machine / dryer / dishwasher at night as well)
Can someone explain why it costs approximately 15p per kwh to charge a night storage heater to heat in a home but only 7.5p per kwh for a EV.. Is it super special magical electric from the fairies :headbang:
No its the pixies :rofl:

You can switch to Octopus but you need to check their tariffs - I had to buy an electric car charger to go onto intelligent Octopus and I get the reduced rate for 6 hours per night.

Therefore my electric on Weds was 21kW of which 14 were at the nighttime rate so a total cost of £3.67 including the rip off daily charge - thats include putting 14kW into the car.

Check Octopus they have other deals available - I can give you a code that will give you £50 credit and they are pretty easy to deal with, gave me a £30 rebate as they did not start the reduced rate for 3 days after the charger was installed.
M4 Vert in Yas Marina Blue
2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

woozzle

Electric car

Post by woozzle » Sun Jul 30, 2023 2:33 pm

But who is subsidising the lower amount that is charged to a customer with an electric car.? What I'm trying to say is why should someone with an EV get cheaper energy.

axelleveau

Electric car

Post by axelleveau » Sun Jul 30, 2023 4:30 pm

woozzle wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 2:33 pm But who is subsidising the lower amount that is charged to a customer with an electric car.? What I'm trying to say is why should someone with an EV get cheaper energy.
My guess is no one is as the cheap tarrifs only applies during specific time at night when electricity prices are low, sometimes even nearing 0 or negative.
Gone - Ford Ka MK2 Petrol - Black
Will hang around to carry materials/people and in emergency - Ford Fiesta MK7 1.0 Ecoboost - Black, white rally rims, white decals, remapped
Now - Z4 Coupe - Montego Blue: Here

Dave1971

Electric car

Post by Dave1971 » Sun Jul 30, 2023 4:36 pm

axelleveau wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 4:30 pm
woozzle wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 2:33 pm But who is subsidising the lower amount that is charged to a customer with an electric car.? What I'm trying to say is why should someone with an EV get cheaper energy.
My guess is no one is as the cheap tarrifs only applies during specific time at night when electricity prices are low, sometimes even nearing 0 or negative.
Exactly right. Nobody is subsidising anyone else. Cheap rate electricity during the night has been around for as long as I can remember and I'm 52 years old!
Zed No 1 2004 e85 Z4 2.2 se
Zed No 2 2007 e85 Imola Red Z4MR
Zed No 3 2006 e85 Ruby Black 3.0si Roadster
Zed No 4 2009 e89 Deep see blue 35i sDrive
Zed No 5 2006 e85 Titan silver 3.0si Roadster
Zed No 6 2004 e85 Black Sapphire Alpina Roadster S Lux #073

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Electric car

Post by ronk » Sun Jul 30, 2023 4:47 pm

Dave1971 wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 4:36 pm
Exactly right. Nobody is subsidising anyone else. Cheap rate electricity during the night has been around for as long as I can remember and I'm 52 years old!
The White Meter !
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

Colin_E

Electric car

Post by Colin_E » Sun Jul 30, 2023 5:41 pm

No need for an EV or solar or batteries or whatever to get some of these rates BUT there's a risk that you may pay more than average at peak times. We have Octopus Agile where rates change every 30 minutes, can fluctuate a lot and occasionally actually go negative - today we had a few hours where we were paid a few pence per kWh for what we used!.

During the peak useage period - usually 4pm to 7pm rates can sometimes exceed the typical flat rate. In the last month, one day actually peaked at 44p / kWh briefly - the highest I've seen. Octopus Tracker doesn't fluctuate so much within the day but still varies from day to day.
Note that you need a smart meter for this stuff but that applies to the EV & Feed-In tariffs too.

Why is it potentially cheaper? Because the supplier passes all of the risk of a volatile market over to the customer.
From the supply side it isn't so easy to turn up or down the production of electricity so when it's scarce it gets expensive & correspondingly cheap when theres a glut. At periods when demand is forecast to be low, some power stations close down for a while if they can't get a viable price for production.

To offer a fixed rate Energy Suppliers like Octopus have to buy forward contracts which cost them a premium. Works much like currency trading.