Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Roof problem

Z4monster

Roof problem

Post by Z4monster » Sun Jun 11, 2023 7:10 pm

Anyone else had a warning when lowering the roof?

Mine started last week to tell me that the Roof is not latched. It goes through the lowering routine but will not raise the side windows. If you release the handle then you get Bongs and the Error message on the dash and screen.
I can manually raise the windows OK and it stops bonging after about 6 times but the error message remains.

If I put the roof back up, then all is OK and it closed perfectly fine.

I've tried it from the key and does exactly the same. I think a sensor/switch is faulty and so it doesn't complete it's routine.

Ah well, dealer visit incoming I expect.

ori

Roof problem

Post by ori » Sun Jun 25, 2023 5:28 pm

Did you get to the bottom of this? Sounds like a sensor or programming issue? I have to say my roof is the most reliable roof I’ve ever had on a zed.

Z4monster

Roof problem

Post by Z4monster » Mon Jul 03, 2023 5:35 pm

I've been on holiday so not had chance to speak with BMW yet. It's still happening so will need a visit so they can pretend to know what's up with it. :D

ori

Roof problem

Post by ori » Tue Jul 04, 2023 2:03 pm

Z4monster wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 5:35 pm I've been on holiday so not had chance to speak with BMW yet. It's still happening so will need a visit so they can pretend to know what's up with it. :D
Keep us informed. Do you have a code reader at all? That might indicate the issue?

PaperSniper

Roof problem

Post by PaperSniper » Tue Jul 11, 2023 12:40 pm

Z4monster wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 7:10 pm Anyone else had a warning when lowering the roof?

Mine started last week to tell me that the Roof is not latched. It goes through the lowering routine but will not raise the side windows. If you release the handle then you get Bongs and the Error message on the dash and screen.
I can manually raise the windows OK and it stops bonging after about 6 times but the error message remains.

If I put the roof back up, then all is OK and it closed perfectly fine.

I've tried it from the key and does exactly the same. I think a sensor/switch is faulty and so it doesn't complete it's routine.

Ah well, dealer visit incoming I expect.
I thought the engine had to be running to operate the soft top? I guess I will have to try this later today..........but maybe this is an option I don't have? And I don't have a key per se anyway, I have a key fob. I have to admit opening/closing the top when I'm away from the garage would be a nice thing.

Doug

Update an hour later: It does work: Be within maybe 10-12 feet, hold the fob's unlock button down for around 15 seconds, and the top will lower. I did not try to raise the top with the fob, but I'd expect it would. Amazing, I've owned this car since new for three years, and did not know that feature! I swear I read somewhere the engine needed to be running to lower/raise the top. Must have been in a dream?
2020 BMW Z4 M40i
Misano Blue, Premium, Leather
Need more curves in west Tennessee!

Z4monster

Roof problem

Post by Z4monster » Tue Aug 15, 2023 12:42 am

UPDATE TIME!!

So the car went in to my local dealer for investigation on the Roof not Locked issue when it's down.

Went in Wednesday morning and they still had it Friday. Had updates each day on progress (not much it seems)

Luckily they loaned me a car (218i GranCoupe :sick: ) so at least I'm still mobile.

Friday afternoon they give me an update. They had to open a case with BMW as the Technician could not fully identify the fault. BMW advised the next course of action was to order a complete new roof frame! :o

Unfortunately, this will take 10 days to arrive from Germany. WTF I could drive there and back quicker than that.

Fortunately BMW are hiring me a car from Enterprise for the duration so the dealer can get their courtesy car back.

Unfortunately Enterprise can't get me an Auto until later this week. So I'm in an X1 1.8i MANUAL until they can swap it out.

Also Unfortunately, the front wheels have almost no tread on them (still legal but only just) so they will be getting a call tomorrow to advise them of this and then asking for a better car ASAP.

Hopefully the Technician will be able to fit the roof correctly and have no issues once the new frame arrives.

I will keep you posted.

r2uzenblot

Roof problem

Post by r2uzenblot » Tue Aug 15, 2023 8:32 pm

Wow this seems a bit drastic. I've had a couple of glitches on my last G29 but they appeared and then disappeared as soon as you locked/unlocked the car. Good luck with the new frame....
2023 G29 20i M Sport Portimao Blue
2021 Triumph Tiger GT Pro
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
2020 Cube Hybrid
1954 Two feet

ori

Roof problem

Post by ori » Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:37 am

Thanks for update. New frame does sound drastic to me, but that’s why we have warranty!!!

Overall, I think these less complex and all electric roofs will be more reliable overall.

Z4monster

Roof problem

Post by Z4monster » Wed Aug 16, 2023 5:47 pm

No further update on the roof as of yet but Enterprise have now swapped the X1 for a nicer M240i Coupe. :D
I can live with that until mine gets repaired. I think it's actually the managers daily drive :lol: His name comes up on the dash for the phone and his business cards are in the glove box.

Sucks to be him if he's now in the X1 :rofl:

mrwkuk

Roof problem

Post by mrwkuk » Sat Aug 26, 2023 4:05 pm

Will be keeping an eye on this. Mine glitched with a slightly different issue while i was on holiday. The roof retracted half way, and then stopped, throwing up error codes. Thankfully i managed to get it going again by lowering and raising the windows and retrying the roof button again.

Differnt sensors, but will be interesting to see how long BMW take to fix yours so I have some idea if my one starts playing up properly.

Seems the more tech they throw in these cars, the more you end up needing to do a convoluted multi-button process to fix them. Its like doing ctrl+alt+del on a pc lol.

Z4monster

Roof problem

Post by Z4monster » Fri Sep 01, 2023 1:29 am

So went to pick up the car on Wednesday after almost three weeks without it.

Gave the hire back to Enterprise, then went to Dealer and was given a breakdown of the work. They replaced the ENTIRE ROOF! I thought they were just doing the frame and not the fabrics. Probably better to replace the whole lot in one unit anyway.

Service assistant takes me out to my car and I check it for any damage that they might have caused. All looks OK.

Tried to lower the roof with the Key and it moves OK but the flaps covering the mechanism are very slow to close.

Then started the car and tried from the button inside. Not much better from there. Tried it once again from the key and the flaps are really really slow and the roof doesn't appear to have gone into the right place anyway. THere is a ledge between the roof and the hoops/Windbreak area which wasn't there before the work.

So the car is back in the workshop again for further work. The dealer has lent me a 230e Active Tourer Hybrid. Not as perky as the M240i coupe but quite a nice drive. At least I get to try the Idrive8 and the new dash arrangement.

No idea when mine will be back but would rather have it right than faulty.

dr_john
Lifer
Lifer

Roof problem

Post by dr_john » Tue Sep 05, 2023 7:16 am

The roof on new G29 stuck halfway last week but moved OK after reversing the open/close switch.

Seems OK now but I’m wary.
Sapphire Black G29 2.0 MSport with Technology pack

Z4monster

Roof problem

Post by Z4monster » Tue Sep 05, 2023 8:48 pm

I've occasionally had roof stop part way but it's because i've fumbled the button while it's in action. Until this fault appeared, I'd never had any other issues with the roof on any of my Z4's.

mrwkuk

Roof problem

Post by mrwkuk » Wed Sep 06, 2023 6:19 pm

dr_john wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 7:16 am The roof on new G29 stuck halfway last week but moved OK after reversing the open/close switch.

Seems OK now but I’m wary.
Thats pretty much what mine did, altho at the time i was in the south of france, miles from anywhere... which was sub optimal. I will mention it to BMW next time it goes into the shop for other work so they can have a look but any time i press the button i wonder if its gonna do it again.

It wouldnt be so bad if there was an obvious, simple, manual way to open/close it in the event of a fault like that. But the fact you could be stuck with it half-open, unable to drive or leave the car, is a real concern.

Z4monster

Roof problem

Post by Z4monster » Tue Sep 12, 2023 6:30 pm

Final Update (Hopefully)

Got the call from the dealer this morning to say my car was now fixed, tested and finally ready for collection.

Went over just after lunch to be greeted by my car sat in the carpark, right outside the entrance. All cleaned and looking as sexy as ever. :D

Checked the car over visually and everything looked OK. Roof seemed to be sealed correctly against the door windows and looked perfect (but it did last time too)

Had a quick snoop around the showroom while I waited for the service assistant to come out to me.

Nice M2 in white (nah not for me), M4 coupe (Fantastic Matt Indigo Blue but white interior) and X3M comp (Skyscraper Grey and black pack)

Finally she came out and took me to the car. She explained that the tech had removed and completely refitted the roof again after my last visit. They hadn't found any specific fault with it but noticed that the cable which pulled the flaps shut on opening was misplaced on one side. Once refitted back on the car and correctly aligned (was a bit clunky on the header rail last time) the roof performed perfectly.

Tried it from the key and also from the button and it did exactly what it should every time. Thank God for that!

Finally back in my own motor once again.

I did make a cheeky comment about what compensation I might get for it taking so long to sort out. I was hoping for maybe a free or reduced service when it needs to go in. She said she would see what she could do and email me.
After I got home she has done just that and offered to pay up to £350 towards whatever I want. :o Not what I expected to be honest but a very nice gesture.

So I think a new dash cam might just be in order.