Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Oil level indicator reading zero oil after oil change

Pecky1964

Post by Pecky1964 » Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:01 pm

Hi everyone, just changed oil and filter on my E89 3.0Si. Filled with 6.5 litres of oil. I have driven the car approx 15 miles and the oil temp has got up to 110 but the level indicator is still blank. Has anyone else had a similar thing happen after an oil change and if so does the oil level indicator sort itself out……….?
Many thanks

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Post by B21 » Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:13 pm

I’d keep calm if you’ve put the correct amount in…just drive it a couple of times..it’s pretty fickle sometimes..mine panicked when I left it sideways on a 10 degree slope with dire warnings of no oil.. :tumbleweed:

I’ve seen the level vary from 1/2 to full after drainage in the first few miles.. :thumbsup:
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

Pecky1964

Post by Pecky1964 » Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:41 pm

Thanks for the reply, I drove it next day and after about 6 miles the gauge confirmed the engine had the correct amount of oil in :D

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Post by B21 » Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:43 pm

Pecky1964 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:41 pm Thanks for the reply, I drove it next day and after about 6 miles the gauge confirmed the engine had the correct amount of oil in :D
:thumbsup:
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup: