Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Battery replacement, BMW or?

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Sun Jun 04, 2023 3:29 pm

Hi all,

Has anyone recently had their battery replaced by BMW and what the rough cost was please. I'm hazarding a guess around the £300 mark.

I'm getting a message on my M140i s Idrive to say the battery is discharging and its nearly discharged. It pops up when I first get in the car and after turning the engine off. Car is starting fine although it is connected to a CTEK all the time when not used and the CTEK has all the lights on to say battery is fully charged. Went for a long drive early this morning but still had the message at the end of the drive. I'm guessing the battery is on its way out, its coming upto 7 years old.

Halfords online quote is £229 including mobile fitting but unsure if to risk it with them but then again they must fit them all the time so surely what could go wrong :lol:

Thanks,

Tim.

smorris_12

Post by smorris_12 » Sun Jun 04, 2023 4:06 pm

BMW don't make batteries (OEM would likely have been Bosch) so it's daft to pay over the odds. Many online battery supply places out there if you've got the know how to fit and register a new battery
------
Scott

Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?

2006 Z4 2.5si Silbergrau und rot

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:44 pm

smorris_12 wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 4:06 pm BMW don't make batteries
BMW don't make most of the parts fitted to their cars (nor do any manufacturers). Just badge them as such and mark them up astronomically. :)

"It's smarter to fit Varta" springs to mind when it comes to car batteries!
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:52 pm

smorris_12 wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 4:06 pm BMW don't make batteries (OEM would likely have been Bosch) so it's daft to pay over the odds. Many online battery supply places out there if you've got the know how to fit and register a new battery
Many thanks, doing a few Google searches picks up that BMW use their own branded batteries but unsure of the make. Seems theres been a few issues of BMW owners who have used the likes of Halfords and other online mobile fitters using an incorrect battery that they claim is compatible but isn't and also not codeing correctly. I can probably fit a new battery but I don't have a codeing dongle. For the moment I've swapped the CTEK charger the car has been hooked up to for a newer charger and see if that improves things. Could be the charger I've been using on the car might be going faulty and not charging properly. Will give a day or so on the newer charger and see if it solves the issue. If not I'll bite the bullet and book into BMW.

Tim.

M1k3yC

Post by M1k3yC » Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:26 pm

TitanTim, you're Stafford based if I remember correctly? Give BM Automotive Solutions (https://bmautomotivesolutions.co.uk/) a call and ask them. I used them for quite a bit of work when I had my E86. They weren't always a lot cheaper than the main dealer, but they'll answer your questions and advise you honestly as well as giving you a price if you want them to do it.
2022 Hyundai Kona N - greyhound transport
2018 F56 Mini JCW
2016 MX-5 2.0 Sport Recaro
Gone to a good home: 2007 E86 3.0Si Sport

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:40 pm

M1k3yC wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:26 pm TitanTim, you're Stafford based if I remember correctly? Give BM Automotive Solutions (https://bmautomotivesolutions.co.uk/) a call and ask them. I used them for quite a bit of work when I had my E86. They weren't always a lot cheaper than the main dealer, but they'll answer your questions and advise you honestly as well as giving you a price if you want them to do it.
Many thanks :thumbsup: Yes the're not far from me, I was looking to contact them soon as need an MOT and brake fluid change in July, I've been using knights now Lookers for years probably as I have an extended warranty but looking for alternatives now as the car is getting older.

Tim.

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:57 pm

You need to code it against the 140 though. We did the same with my son’s battery a few weeks back, car is the same age as yours and came up with the same message.

Got the battery from Tayna though, 5 minutes to fit and 1 minute to code
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Sun Jun 04, 2023 10:01 pm

FFS. When ICE car manufacturers try to tie in owners to 'their own' fkg batteries!

:headbang:
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Sun Jun 04, 2023 10:12 pm

pvr wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:57 pm You need to code it against the 140 though. We did the same with my son’s battery a few weeks back, car is the same age as yours and came up with the same message.

Got the battery from Tayna though, 5 minutes to fit and 1 minute to code
Yes I think the codeing part is what the likes of Halfords/Kwik Fit fall foul of and doing some searches reveals some fitters say it doesn't need codeing :) or more likely they say that as they don't know how to code to the car. As I understand, the new battery will still work but may not be receiving the correct charge as the car doesn't know its new, so potentially shortening battery life.

Tim.

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Sun Jun 04, 2023 10:13 pm

Chris_D wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 10:01 pm FFS. When ICE car manufacturers try to tie in owners to 'their own' fkg batteries!

:headbang:
:lol: on my old Z3 just fitted the new battery and that was it :)

Tim.

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:44 pm

Ive just had the Discharging Notice appear on the screen of the 335 this morning. No message after a short drive to the park and ride so it probably isn't critical yet.
The car was bought July 2015 and the battery replace under warranty Sept 2017. The Dealer told me it was Circa £400 in those days, so who knows what they would want to try and charge me now. Im not even going to ask!
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:05 pm

What happens when you put your reg in Tayna’s website ?
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:35 pm

pvr wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:05 pmTayna
The Tayna site comes up with alsorts of battery makes :)

The AA do a dedicated mobile service for non members and recomend Bosch when I put my plate in at £287 for an 80ah or £299 for a 95ah fitted and coded, think mine is a 80ah.

The Bosch battery from Tayna is a fair bit cheaper though although doesn't included fitting or coding.

Tim.

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:49 pm

ronk wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 9:44 pm Ive just had the Discharging Notice appear on the screen of the 335 this morning. No message after a short drive to the park and ride so it probably isn't critical yet.
The car was bought July 2015 and the battery replace under warranty Sept 2017. The Dealer told me it was Circa £400 in those days, so who knows what they would want to try and charge me now. Im not even going to ask!
Doing a little Googling Ron the warning can mean there is excessive draw on the battery causing the battery to discharge too quickly or if the battery is getting on a bit its most likely not holding its charge so is basically slowly running down too quickly. I've got mine on a CTEK at the moment which is indicating the battery is fully charged but it was saying that on Sunday when I got the car out of storage and I got the battery discharge message as soon as I disconnected the CTEK and before starting the car.

I've tracked down a genuine BMW branded battery at £230 but obviously I would need to get it fitted and coded so a dealer would probably charge a little more for the battery itself and then charge a minimum hours labour rate which will be around £100 so I would expect a bill over 300 quid easily so wouldn't be surprised at 400 as you say :cry:

Might just go with the AA and get them to come to home than faffing at the dealers anyways, booking in, dropping the car off and the technician taking it for an extended test drive to Macdonalds drive thru, kerb and few alloys and charge me 400 quid for the priveledge :)

Tim.

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:00 pm

As you said earlier, gone are the days when a fella could rattle a 10mm spanner for a few minutes and job done!
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup: