Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Suggestions? valve cover

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
xmillionn

Suggestions? valve cover

Post by xmillionn » Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:27 pm

A friend bought a 2004 Z4, 3.0 - 6 weeks ago, with 118k miles and love it. Oil leak at rear passenger corner of valve cover - oily and smokey - caused me to replace the gasket. There were no obvious signs of leaking at the machined head when cover removed. However, there was a fair amount of oil on top of the cover after decorative shroud was removed and spark plug #2 was full of oil. Caused by leaking at interior gasket or what? Suggestions?

Z4Mariner

Suggestions? valve cover

Post by Z4Mariner » Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:29 am

I don't own a car with an M54 engine at the moment, but the valve cover (VC) gaskets are notorious for getting brittle with age, and a leak from the interior gaskets that seal the spark plug wells would not be uncommon.

Did you replace the gasket set with the interior spark plug well seals? If you did and it solved the issue, great ! If a replacement failed to solve the issue, my check list would be: 1) Did I pinch a gasket ? 2) Did I replace the grommets on the VC bolts ? 3) Do I have a cracked VC ?

The grommets on the VC bolts compress to properly seal the VC, and old, brittle ones may not perform properly. Cracks in the VC are also possible - sometimes they can be patched for a while with sealant, and sometimes not. You will find a lot of discussion of this topic on E46 forums with large memberships.

Hope this is of some help.
Z4Mariner
Minnesota, USA

2006 Z4 Coupe 3.0Si, Montego Blue, MT

colb

Suggestions? valve cover

Post by colb » Fri Jun 02, 2023 12:05 pm

Z4mariner covers all of the causes of cam cover gasket replacement. Important to use new round rubber seals on the cover bolts old ones go hard and don't compress enough to provide correct seal. Inspect the plastic cover for cracks and signs of the plastic crumbling,seen a bad case of this on a 2.2 Z3. Leaks will also let air in and play havoc with fuel trims
Z Shed Cymru member
1999 1.8 Z3
2003 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville 650
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?c ... source=url