Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Coolant leakage question (E85)

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
MayaH

Post by MayaH » Tue May 30, 2023 2:34 am

Greetings to all!
My 2003 z4 has been leaking coolant for quite awhile. I took it to repair shop and they replaced the cooling hose flange, the expansion tank, and the transmission oil cooler thermostat. A month later, the car was back to the shop as it was still leaking coolant. This time they replaced the upper radiator hose with the bleeder valve. However, after I spent almost $1000 for repairs, the leak is still there.
I’m a woman and not a mechanic by any means, but today I detach the radiator/engine cooling panel shroud and found that the upper radiator hose outlet (I’m not sure if this is the correct part name so I’m attaching a picture)
IMG_2187.jpeg
IMG_2187.jpeg (149.82 KiB) Viewed 187 times
wis full with coolant.
My question is: Is this normal, as I didn’t see anything like this on the videos I watched.

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Tue May 30, 2023 9:02 am

That pool of coolant might just be what collected there when they refilled the system.
You need to get back to that mechanic and tell them that their repairs have still not remedied the original problem.
Most garages should guarantee their work for a period of time. Did you check the payment receipt?

Leaking coolant could be any number of things as it’s a pressurised system with a lot of fail points.
The best way of tracking down the leak point is to identify roughly where the leak is and then trying to narrow down exactly the leak location. It sounds like your mechanic has just guessed incorrectly by replacing parts unecessarily perhaps.

You could investigate further yourself by running it up to temp, letting it stand and have a look underneath the car for any drips or pooling. With the shroud off have a good look around the radiator area for any bubbling/leaks.
Good luck :thumbsup:
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bigwinn » Tue May 30, 2023 9:27 am

morning

what Chris said- its likely from the filling they spilled coolant there and its sat

Hope you get it sorted
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

EWS Delete PM me
Coding- airbags etc PM me

j3nks79

Post by j3nks79 » Tue May 30, 2023 9:56 am

You need a pressure test on the system if you still have a leak. Every garage will have a tester.
Last Carbon Black E86 rhd off the production line. 2/8/08 build. 2009 09 Registered.

MayaH

Post by MayaH » Wed May 31, 2023 5:39 am

Thank you! I’m taking the car back to the shop tomorrow.