Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Electrical gremlins

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
BillysProjectZ4

Electrical gremlins

Post by BillysProjectZ4 » Mon May 29, 2023 5:10 pm

Okay, i am new to the forum and very new to the E85. :thumbsup:

however i do have a long history of older beamers.

so i bought this Z4 after it had been sat for some years on a concreate driveway and recently matey tried the roof and it unlocked but that's was it so he left it under a cover so water may or may not of got in i don't know. :?

i am having a list of electrical gremlins. i would like to identify if its related to one module / component or if these are all separate issues (joy!)

the battery had died and left uncharged for who knows how long but i have managed to revive it partially as starting is a bit sluggish
so best for me to list what i have found so far
  • High beams - do not come on, flash and no blue light on dash
  • Radio - none of the buttons work on interface only channel 4-5 if pressed really hard
  • Passengers window goes down from drivers switch by pressing either way, doesn't go up however if you do it from passenger side it will go down but you have to fiddle to get it up again (i have noticed a bit of corrosion on the switch circuit board passenger side)
  • The rear lights (Cant fully confirm as haven't had a 2nd set of eyes yet) but im sure the brake lights, fogs and reverse are not working indacators work if connections are fiddled with to the back of the light units
  • headlights are on always cant be turned off
  • alarm goes off if locked from fob
that's all i can think off for the minute the roof isn't working but that one is obvious as the motor in boot is rusted out

thanks guys look forward to the help!
2006 e85 Z4 2.0 msport
2012 e70 X5 Msport

markplant
Lifer
Lifer

Electrical gremlins

Post by markplant » Mon May 29, 2023 5:18 pm

Start with a fresh battery as these cars have all sorts of wierd anomalies on bad low batteries
3.0 Manual. Sterling Grey. Cream leather Electric an Heated. Professional Navigation/Sony tablet replacement. Storm Werks . an parts waiting to be fitted

BillysProjectZ4

Electrical gremlins

Post by BillysProjectZ4 » Tue May 30, 2023 8:34 am

oh really? what battery would you recommend?
2006 e85 Z4 2.0 msport
2012 e70 X5 Msport

markplant
Lifer
Lifer

Electrical gremlins

Post by markplant » Tue May 30, 2023 9:58 pm

Yuasa, Bosch,
If you don't use the car a lot a battery conditioner will also help , but you'll need the car near a plug socket for that
3.0 Manual. Sterling Grey. Cream leather Electric an Heated. Professional Navigation/Sony tablet replacement. Storm Werks . an parts waiting to be fitted