Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Wokeness in school!

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Wokeness in school!

Post by Pondrew » Fri May 26, 2023 12:10 pm

Had to share this story, as it really annoyed me:
A 17 year old boy, classmate of my daughter, has been suspended from school with a view to 'permanent exclusion' (expelled in old money) for "homophobic comments".
I know this kid and he has a wicked and very good sense of humour (unlike most of the others who are depressed and talk about suicide constantly). Everything he says is for comedy effect; nothing is malicious and he hasn't said anything directly to anyone who could, or should, be offended.

So the school are potentially going to ruin his chances of getting his 'A' levels and are trying to quash his sense of humour, because someone has decided they are offended on someone else's behalf by his personality. And that is just not acceptable, apparently.

The boy has been in foster care all his life, so has not had it easy. The school is a Grammar school, so he has done well and is (or was) doing three A levels.

Seems being a depressed suicidal teenager is so much better than one with a decent sense of humour these days.
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

jock156

Wokeness in school!

Post by jock156 » Fri May 26, 2023 12:26 pm

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Thank f**k it’s my 2 youngests last day at school today! In their school they have a rug muncher as a head teacher and any new staff appointments are LGFBYZZGWAS affiliated. Boils my piss! :x :x :x My son has a teacher who was Mr. XXXX who is now Ms. XXXX who is now just a bloke in drag no matter how you squint! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I also had a builder round yesterday who’s son punched the school bully on Wednesday and is going through similar. Possibly being expelled :headbang:

With this hot weather and the tan I’m getting I should be able to walk into a TV job as the token black dude! Or grow a pair of moobs and get on TV as a sports presenter! :rofl:

I hope logic/ common sense prevails for the young lad I know I was a cheeky wee fecker at that age, but never meant any harm! 🤞

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Wokeness in school!

Post by Pondrew » Fri May 26, 2023 12:37 pm

jock156 wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 12:26 pm I hope logic/ common sense prevails for the young lad
Neither of those two things are available or relevant anymore from what I see! :roll:

PS loved some of your phrasing Brian. Made me laugh (which is probably wrong). :lol: :lol:
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

jock156

Wokeness in school!

Post by jock156 » Fri May 26, 2023 12:46 pm

It is wrong (nowadays!) but I was just being the same cheeky fecker and mean no harm. It made you laugh (that was the intention) but in today’s world I’d be expelled :headbang:

coldel

Wokeness in school!

Post by coldel » Fri May 26, 2023 12:52 pm

I guess playing devils advocate - without knowing the full story and in fact that young adults stories are often told with some creativity around the facts...there is always two sides I guess? A very good friend of mine is a teacher at a secondary school and the stuff you hear...

It does seem on the face of it that going nuclear around a single incident is very strange though. Must be a lot more going on behind the scenes.
Currently BMW Z4 E85 3.0si
Previously
BMW Z4 E86 3.0si
Vauxhall VX220 Turbo
Toyota Celica ST205 GT4
Nissan R33 Skyline GTST
Vauxhall VX220 NA
Nissan 350z

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Wokeness in school!

Post by Chris_D » Fri May 26, 2023 1:14 pm

Sad times we live in when we have to live in constant fear of offending snowflakes and 'marginal sectors' of society.

It was totally different back in my day, especially in primary school in the 70's. Racism, homophobic name-calling and marginalisation was all commonly accepted and that was by the teachers!

Just think back to that scene from Scum and that's exactly...EXACTLY what it was like:

Unacceptable these days of course but we've plainly gone too far in what's been deemed offensive.
:headbang:

I did a consulting stint at a Dutch company a few years ago where I was required to build some project teams and start hiring in some people. I was given this bizarre pep talk by the HR department who decreed that it was my 'moral obligation to make sure that I was 'inclusive' with my selection of personnel. I didn't understand so I asked them to elaborate.

The CHRO 'Chief HR Officer', a title that she had actually defined and bestowed upon herself, went to great albeit uncomfortable lengths to explain that there policy was to be 'inclusive' as possible when hiring people.
I claimed I still didn't understand what she was getting at, but actually did, which started to irritate me and so I asked her to be more specific as I knew she was skirting around the issue and the bounds of legality.
Out of obvious frustration to my feigned ignorance she then handed off the conversation to an underling who then proceeded to advise me to hire people who were 'non-binary, gender-fluid, transgender, etc'. It was the 'etc' part that really bugged the living sh!t out of me.
I retorted with 'I'll be hiring people based on merit, relevant experience, technical ability, aptitude and enthusiasm. Not whether they identify as a fkg lamp-post, if they wear eyeshadow on their arsehole or if they want to be called DebbieDingDong!'
She scuttled out back to the HR office and I got a telling off from the CEO who strangely had a wry smirk while doing so. I took that as 'Chris, I have to do this cos I've been asked. But I know where you're coming from and it's really no problem.' lol

I hired some truly great people (and by committee with the other project members) and none of them had pink/green hair, had a female name while speaking in a voice 2 octaves lower than my own, or brought a dog bowl into work with them to eat from!

Sadly, if that chap wants to stay in with a chance of gaining his a-levels he'll need to go cap in hand with a grovelling apology I suspect.

Edit: that video may have been removed already. lol
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Wokeness in school!

Post by Pondrew » Fri May 26, 2023 1:26 pm

coldel wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 12:52 pm It does seem on the face of it that going nuclear around a single incident is very strange though. Must be a lot more going on behind the scenes.
Don't think so in this case TBH. The lad was a 'house captain' on Wednesday, now this. I would expect if there had been 'incidents' before, they would have stripped him of that or not allowed him the role?

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

inkey$
Lifer
Lifer

Wokeness in school!

Post by inkey$ » Fri May 26, 2023 1:30 pm

Without knowing what he said and the context, its difficult to say, but maybe he took the humour a little too far? When I was at school in the 80's it was like most of us on here, commonplace, but I remember even then as a teenage inbetweener (friends with some of the cool kids/friends with nerds), feeling very sorry for the people on the other end of the 'jokes'.
Current: Project Audi A2 1.4SE
Previously: Z3R 2.8 • E46 330i • Z4R 3.0 • Z4///MC • E90 335i • Z4///MR • Z3///MC 'Breadvan' • Z3R 2.8 • E30 325i R • Z4C • Z4R 3.0

Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Wokeness in school!

Post by Argyll Andy » Fri May 26, 2023 1:40 pm

I got a phone call from a forum member about something very similar a few weeks back as I work in Education, no not a teacher :P to ask my view on their situation.

To me, his, along with this one is bonkers.

This is in Scotland right enough but we would NEVER go for straight expulsion unless it involved a serious offence which did or was likely to result in criminal prosecution for a serious offence.

Not categorising the offence but things SUCH as racism, homophobia etc, if serious enough would result in a 1-3 day suspension if “offences” reoccurred within a certain period next one would be 3-5 days and so on. If we look to exclude (not explel) for more than 10 days we have to have approval of our Head of Service. Again this normally needs to be of a serious nature to get to this stage. At this point we would normally seek to educate the child at home rather than remove their education for a period of more than 10 days as that’s detrimental to the child.

To the best of my knowledge, in the 15 yrs I’ve been in this sector we’ve never permanently expelled anyone and I cover 14 schools.

English schools seem to be able to go straight for the nuclear option .

The kid you mention, if he’d been in one of my schools and IF he’d been found to be “guilty”of the accusations he’d have at worst received a 1-3 school days exclusion, then move on, as you were

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

inkey$
    Lifer
    Lifer

Wokeness in school!

Post by inkey$ » Fri May 26, 2023 1:42 pm

Argyll Andy wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 1:40 pm I got a phone call from a forum member about something very similar a few weeks back as I work in Education, no not a teacher :P to ask my view on their situation.

To me, his, along with this one is bonkers.

This is in Scotland right enough but we would NEVER go for straight expulsion unless it involved a serious offence which did or was likely to result in criminal prosecution for a serious offence.

Not categorising the offence but things SUCH as racism, homophobia etc, if serious enough would result in a 1-3 day suspension if “offences” reoccurred within a certain period next one would be 3-5 days and so on. If we look to exclude (not explel) for more than 10 days we have to have approval of our Head of Service. Again this normally needs to be of a serious nature to get to this stage. At this point we would normally seek to educate the child at home rather than remove their education for a period of more than 10 days as that’s detrimental to the child.

To the best of my knowledge, in the 15 yrs I’ve been in this sector we’ve never permanently expelled anyone and I cover 14 schools.

English schools seem to be able to go straight for the nuclear option .

The kid you mention, if he’d been in one of my schools and IF he’d been found to be “guilty”of the accusations he’d have at worst received a 1-3 school days exclusion, then move on, as you were
    ^ this feels like totally the right approach, and one rooted in common sense IMO.
    Current: Project Audi A2 1.4SE
    Previously: Z3R 2.8 • E46 330i • Z4R 3.0 • Z4///MC • E90 335i • Z4///MR • Z3///MC 'Breadvan' • Z3R 2.8 • E30 325i R • Z4C • Z4R 3.0

Pondrew
    Lifer
    Lifer

Wokeness in school!

Post by Pondrew » Fri May 26, 2023 1:51 pm

Argyll Andy wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 1:40 pm The kid you mention, if he’d been in one of my schools and IF he’d been found to be “guilty”of the accusations he’d have at worst received a 1-3 school days exclusion, then move on, as you were
    I think he has been 'suspended' for a few days at present, while the school are trying to 'build a case against him'. My daughter said that the school had asked all of the LGBTTISWAS kids in their year to write anything they had heard about the boy down to be used against him.

It sounds like a witch hunt. All because he says (admittedly some stupid) things out loud to make others laugh. I say a lot of stupid things at 55, I said many more at 17!

From what I hear also, his foster carers are not going to help him much, as they are short-term (Ie he hasn't been with them very long) and look at fostering more as a job than helping kids.

I want to get involved but can't cos it's none of my business and the school wouldn't listen to me.

F31 320i. Good car.
    E89 20i Now fully dried
    Mazda3 sold

Argyll Andy
    Lifer
    Lifer

Wokeness in school!

Post by Argyll Andy » Fri May 26, 2023 1:58 pm

Pondrew wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 1:51 pm I want to get involved but can't cos it's none of my business and the school wouldn't listen to me.
    He’s 17 and entitled to have someone with him at any subsequent meetings, he could/can say that person is you if he wishes. Doesn’t have to be parent/guardian as he’s over 16 :thumbsup:

Re the drumming up of evidence from the other kids, you’re perfectly entitled to object to this separately as a parent of a child being asked to participate in such an exercise :tumbleweed:

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
      G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
      E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
      E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

buzyg
      Legend
      Legend

Wokeness in school!

Post by buzyg » Fri May 26, 2023 1:58 pm

I just don't get it. I was so glad to escape much of the growing woke nonsense when I retired. Too many minorities with too much attention. Just get on with your own lives and let us do the same. Nothing wrong with taking the P out of others, it mostly relieves tension. Ok sometimes it might offend, Might cause tension. But mostly it does not, so let it be.

Pondrew
      Lifer
      Lifer

Wokeness in school!

Post by Pondrew » Fri May 26, 2023 2:13 pm

Argyll Andy wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 1:58 pm He’s 17 and entitled to have someone with him at any subsequent meetings, he could/can say that person is you if he wishes. Doesn’t have to be parent/guardian as he’s over 16

Re the drumming up of evidence from the other kids, you’re perfectly entitled to object to this separately as a parent of a child being asked to participate in such an exercise
      Even if I could I would only make matters worse, as I would lose my temper and start calling the teachers and staff all the names under the sun. I don't have any patience for bull$hit. My daughter would never forgive me as she has got a year and a term left!

F31 320i. Good car.
      E89 20i Now fully dried
      Mazda3 sold

coldel

Wokeness in school!

Post by coldel » Fri May 26, 2023 2:18 pm

I suspect having been a teacher myself in a past life, that its a case of repeated issues. And then ignoring any given final warning. There will be guidelines that have behaviours marked down in seriousness and penalties against them. Its a lot more process driven than I think most people realise and teachers generally do not have unilateral power to just toss kids out of school, its a very serious action and requires a lot of process recorded and a consensus reached.

I would think the idea this is 'teacher heard something and is going to kick him out' is unlikely to be the real scenario. But like I say, without all the facts its hard to make any sort of judgement.

The absolute crap and abuse I witnessed at times from parents whose angelic kids couldnt do no wrong was uncalled for. As a teacher I could only follow the process and procedure in place. It was frustrating because most parents complaining would make useless teachers :lol:
      Currently BMW Z4 E85 3.0si
      Previously
      BMW Z4 E86 3.0si
      Vauxhall VX220 Turbo
      Toyota Celica ST205 GT4
      Nissan R33 Skyline GTST
      Vauxhall VX220 NA
      Nissan 350z