Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Wokeness in school!

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
IRD

Wokeness in school!

Post by IRD » Fri May 26, 2023 2:19 pm

Pondrew wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 12:10 pm Had to share this story, as it really annoyed me:
A 17 year old boy, classmate of my daughter, has been suspended from school with a view to 'permanent exclusion' (expelled in old money) for "homophobic comments".
I know this kid and he has a wicked and very good sense of humour (unlike most of the others who are depressed and talk about suicide constantly). Everything he says is for comedy effect; nothing is malicious and he hasn't said anything directly to anyone who could, or should, be offended.

So the school are potentially going to ruin his chances of getting his 'A' levels and are trying to quash his sense of humour, because someone has decided they are offended on someone else's behalf by his personality. And that is just not acceptable, apparently.

The boy has been in foster care all his life, so has not had it easy. The school is a Grammar school, so he has done well and is (or was) doing three A levels.

Seems being a depressed suicidal teenager is so much better than one with a decent sense of humour these days.
My wife and I were both headteachers and comment regularly that we would have been sacked if we had been working in today’s woke climate for refusing to comply. Sure all children need to be protected and respected but they also need to learn how to cope with the knocks that come along in life. It seems these days that the minorities rule. I am horrified that the Headteacher hasn’t just taken the young man aside and had a quiet word with him. That is what I would have done. Any sort of suspension seems excessive unless there is more to the story than we know.

coldel

Wokeness in school!

Post by coldel » Fri May 26, 2023 2:23 pm

IRD wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 2:19 pm
Pondrew wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 12:10 pm Had to share this story, as it really annoyed me:
A 17 year old boy, classmate of my daughter, has been suspended from school with a view to 'permanent exclusion' (expelled in old money) for "homophobic comments".
I know this kid and he has a wicked and very good sense of humour (unlike most of the others who are depressed and talk about suicide constantly). Everything he says is for comedy effect; nothing is malicious and he hasn't said anything directly to anyone who could, or should, be offended.

So the school are potentially going to ruin his chances of getting his 'A' levels and are trying to quash his sense of humour, because someone has decided they are offended on someone else's behalf by his personality. And that is just not acceptable, apparently.

The boy has been in foster care all his life, so has not had it easy. The school is a Grammar school, so he has done well and is (or was) doing three A levels.

Seems being a depressed suicidal teenager is so much better than one with a decent sense of humour these days.
My wife and I were both headteachers and comment regularly that we would have been sacked if we had been working in today’s woke climate for refusing to comply. Sure all children need to be protected and respected but they also need to learn how to cope with the knocks that come along in life. It seems these days that the minorities rule. I am horrified that the Headteacher hasn’t just taken the young man aside and had a quiet word with him. That is what I would have done. Any sort of suspension seems excessive unless there is more to the story than we know.
Exactly - I think there is definitely more to it, going nuclear on some kid just making a joke seems odd as a first offence.
Currently BMW Z4 E85 3.0si
Previously
BMW Z4 E86 3.0si
Vauxhall VX220 Turbo
Toyota Celica ST205 GT4
Nissan R33 Skyline GTST
Vauxhall VX220 NA
Nissan 350z

Dark Diggler

Wokeness in school!

Post by Dark Diggler » Fri May 26, 2023 6:07 pm

I can't believe this kids education could be scuppered for this. The sensible side of me would recommend the lad engages with an LGTB group or body directly and explain what has happened and that he was trying to make people laugh but realises that it was wrong and seeks to engage with the community to better educate himself and I reckon they would write to the head and it would have an influence on the outcome. Hit it head on and derail the heads plans for permanent exclusion.

tug

Wokeness in school!

Post by tug » Sun May 28, 2023 8:41 am

Chris D's post reminded me of my school life in the 70's. One day the games teacher thought it would be a good idea to have a hockey match between english white kids and the west indian kids. The match only lasted for about 5 minutes! 5 west indians needed to be taken to the sick bay and the rest of them ran off, the hockey ball was in the same place as it was before the start of the match. :lol:

Hockey was taken off the curriculum temporarily after this. If any lad showed dainty tendences they were quickly given a slap!!

There is too much APATHY nowadays. :roll:
E85 N46 2.0i SE BLACK SAPPHIRE