Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

ANPR! Not a camera; a motor!

Discussion of other cars non-Z4
Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Fri May 26, 2023 6:15 pm

Chippie wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 5:22 pm What happened to wanting a Jaaaag or was that in another life, I can’t keep up
I looked at a few, but they were all shite, even though the owners seemed to think they were immaculate and 'the best' and asking top money. Different people have very different ideas on what is a good car IME.
The Civic gives me the practicality for my fishing gear, has four seats, the fun and at reasonable running costs. Although tyres ain't cheap and they seem to get through them.
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Fri May 26, 2023 7:03 pm

What happened to the pages of deliberation prior to the purchase? We've been robbed. :!:

By all accounts they are supposed to be great to drive, but I just wouldn't want to be seen in one. Still I hope you enjoy it. :driving:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Fri May 26, 2023 7:21 pm

Mr Tidy wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 7:03 pm By all accounts they are supposed to be great to drive, but I just wouldn't want to be seen in one.
You know my wife then Iain? Did she put you up to that statement? :lol:

Maybe I need to change my glasses, as I think it looks great! But then I've never really grown up! :P
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

sars
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sars » Fri May 26, 2023 9:17 pm

Argyll Andy wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 1:43 pm For the 3 weeks he’ll keep it anyway p
This :thumbsup:
At least you can’t see the outside when you’re inside the car, just be careful not to glance right as you pass any glass fronted buildings, that involuntarily puke reaction could have some serious repercussions :cry:

In all seriousness, good choice, they’re supposed to be a great drivers car
Gorgeous SFR Z4 M40i 8)
Gone 2017 Iridium SL400, 2015 435d xDrive Convertible, 2012 E350 CDi Convertible, 2010 DSB Z4 sdrive30i, 2008 Audi A4 Cabriolet, 2006 Phoenix Yellow Z4 2.5Si, 2003 Saab 9-3 Convertible

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Fri May 26, 2023 9:42 pm

sars wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 9:17 pm At least you can’t see the outside when you’re inside the car,
Oh no, that's not enough for my wife. It has red front seats which, apparently, are also extremely 'chavvy'. :roll:
The FK8 Type R has a very common issue with the driver's seat bolster 'crushing' as the foam is not the most resilient. This leaves creases in the fabric and is obviously extremely costly to rectify. The one I am buying is the ONLY FK8 I have seen without this issue. :thumbsup:

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Fri May 26, 2023 10:37 pm

Each to their own , not sure i agree with your
Pondrew wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 9:24 pm
Chris_D wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 9:01 pm Dear oh dear.
Well, it's obligatory to be wearing one of these at any time when you're behind the wheel of that family car on steroids:
The looks are not important. The car is universally accepted as one of the best cars to drive, not just hot hatch, in modern times. It weighs less than the Z4!
Words of a besotted owner , i can't see this lasting till xmas & fortunately for you adding miles won't be a problem , it will barely move i suspect .
You can read & believe what you like RE German V Jap cars but once you have owned both ( unfortunately i have Jap company vehicles ) then all the rest are a pale imitation .
The Type R has 1 obvious rival , plenty of comparisons out there but this summary from motoring press just about covers it for me ,

" There's a cross-generational opinion around our office about the Civic Type R. Young and old alike agree that it's a riot to drive, but no one wants to be seen in it. The Golf R, on the other hand, is just as quick in a straight line, covers ground just as well in the real world, and delivers its performance with the kind of grace and refinement that the Civic Type R can't match. Spicy gelato indeed is a kick now and then, but it's not something we want every day."

you discounted the Golf R i recall on its blandness so i can see why you chose the Honda , fingers crossed for you that residuals for it are favourable .
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Fri May 26, 2023 10:49 pm

mr wilks wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 10:37 pm you discounted the Golf R i recall on its blandness so i can see why you chose the Honda , fingers crossed for you that residuals for it are favourable .
They are at present, mate, but who knows what the future may hold?

The Golf R is extremely bland, but a good car, that I will concede.
My main issue with them is that the MK7.5s are pretty much all ex-lease cars as VW in it's infinite wisdom decided to flog them out at £200 a month with nothing down to the lease market in 2017. I remember seeing them at the time and nearly got one for the wife (as a company car which was tax and VAT sensible). They were really dirt cheap. Three or four years on there was a flood of abused Golf Rs on the market with identical mileages. I am not spending my hard-earned on an ex-lease 300hp Golf.

I thought I had read every car review of the FK8 Type R against the Golf and all the others, but haven't seen that one. I don't use my cars as a daily anymore so would much rather have "spicy gelato (stupid phrase)" on an occasional basis than "German blandness" anyway!
Also had a Skoda Octavia in the household for three years, which is a Golf in a different frock. It was OK but not what I would call interesting!

I understand you like to have a (very polite) sideways dig at me Mr W (or can I call you Andrew). Heaven knows I deserve it most of the time! But it is water off a duck's back. I learned a long long time ago not to care what other people think. I can't change it so why worry about it? :thumbsup:

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Sat Jun 03, 2023 7:24 pm

Landed!
Picture of my lovely new Honda with a tatty old E89 for company!
IMG_8936.JPG
IMG_8936.JPG (139.73 KiB) Viewed 479 times

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mr.tourette » Sat Jun 03, 2023 7:33 pm

Well I bloody love it mate.. I've always been a Honda guy at heart and had loads of them as daily drivers over the years as well as probably 30 odd motorbikes bearing the big H :) They are an amazing piece of kit and I personally love the look of them, enjoy it pal :driving: :thumbsup:
if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Sat Jun 03, 2023 7:58 pm

mr.tourette wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 7:33 pm Well I bloody love it mate.. I've always been a Honda guy at heart and had loads of them as daily drivers over the years as well as probably 30 odd motorbikes bearing the big H :) They are an amazing piece of kit and I personally love the look of them, enjoy it pal :driving: :thumbsup:
Cheers Steve. You are a man of impeccable taste. :thumbsup:

It is an absolute riot to drive. The gearbox is sensational and that vtec with a turbo......well!
Suspension is comfy too (in comfort) and OK in 'Sport'.

I can get all my fishing tackle in with the rear seats down too. I reckon this may be a keeper (at last)!

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mr.tourette » Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:42 pm

Pondrew wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 7:58 pm
mr.tourette wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 7:33 pm Well I bloody love it mate.. I've always been a Honda guy at heart and had loads of them as daily drivers over the years as well as probably 30 odd motorbikes bearing the big H :) They are an amazing piece of kit and I personally love the look of them, enjoy it pal :driving: :thumbsup:
Cheers Steve. You are a man of impeccable taste. :thumbsup:

It is an absolute riot to drive. The gearbox is sensational and that vtec with a turbo......well!
Suspension is comfy too (in comfort) and OK in 'Sport'.

I can get all my fishing tackle in with the rear seats down too. I reckon this may be a keeper (at last)!
They've always known how to build a very slick gearbox, something you couldn't accuse bmw of :D They can also build an oil tight engine unlike " the ultimate oil leak experience" :lol:
if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:44 pm

mr.tourette wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:42 pm They've always known how to build a very slick gearbox, something you couldn't accuse bmw of :D They can also build an oil tight engine unlike " the ultimate oil leak experience" :lol:
Or "the ultimately heavy driving machine" as I have re-named them :D

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

N4LLY

Post by N4LLY » Sun Jun 04, 2023 10:26 am

Most excellent ! :thumbsup: Congrat's

The wheel's need to be done black though :wink:

(Fishing ? Is that beach, boat or pond ?)

2014 20 M sport Valencia Orange

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Sun Jun 04, 2023 10:32 am

I coarse fish in the drains (canals/ rivers) around my area. Only took it back up last season after 25 years away from it. I love it. Quiet time! :thumbsup:

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

N4LLY

Post by N4LLY » Sun Jun 04, 2023 10:38 am

I'm a Sea angler. The Ski hatch in the E89 is a god send 8)

(Zander in those there drains)

2014 20 M sport Valencia Orange