Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Roof broken again, only half closes

Msport

Post by Msport » Wed May 24, 2023 7:10 pm

Roof broken again!!!

This time the roof opens fine, no problem.

But I'm stuck with it half closed, the procedure starts as normal but when it gets to putting the second part of the roof down the motor just wirs away and the second part of the roof is stuck ontop of the first - see pic! Windows won't go up either :headbang:

Any ideas how I can at least get this closed to take to garage?
Attachments
PXL_20230524_181202170.jpg
PXL_20230524_181202170.jpg (224.86 KiB) Viewed 612 times

Msport

Post by Msport » Wed May 24, 2023 8:15 pm

So an update, I went out to the car to have another look.

Bizarrely the flashing red light had gone off by its own accord!!!

The roof all closed perfectly this time.

But then as soon as it was fully up red light starts flashing again and I dare not try to open it again incase it gets stuck!

I then put the battery on charge, and the immediately the red light went out whilst it was on charge!

Could all this just be that my battery is dead? I'll charge overnight and see if it works ok when fully charged..

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ole gits rule » Wed May 24, 2023 8:32 pm

The battery will cause major issues but by the description it sound like micro switches - I am sure Robbie will be along to give better advice
M4 Vert in Yas Marina Blue
2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

Deepseaskateboard

Post by Deepseaskateboard » Wed May 24, 2023 8:35 pm

Yeah, not out of the woods yet.

When mine needed a new microswitch it worked sometimes, but then not at all.

If it’s just a switch, it’s not too expensive to fix.

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Thu May 25, 2023 6:47 am

Get obd reader, you can't do any maintenance on these cars without one.
For instance i just worked on the rear ebrakes, but wouldn't work until i cancelled errors, then all good.

Msport

Post by Msport » Thu May 25, 2023 9:25 am

I have an obd reader but it's a cheap rubbish one, won't let me do anything.

What is the most recommended one to get on here? I atleast want to be able to do stuff like change the battery (!) myself so I'll need one that can reassign and code a new battery.. any recommendations?

Seems rediculous to have to go to a garage to get it coded, might as well put the cost towards a good reader like you say..
flybobbie wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 6:47 am Get obd reader, you can't do any maintenance on these cars without one.
For instance i just worked on the rear ebrakes, but wouldn't work until i cancelled errors, then all good.

z4lincs

Post by z4lincs » Thu May 25, 2023 2:12 pm

Ole gits rule wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 8:32 pm The battery will cause major issues but by the description it sound like micro switches - I am sure Robbie will be along to give better advice
Yeah mine is currently under a cover in exactly the same state with the roof half up.. booked in for replacement micro switches next week to hopefully sort. Was intermittent for a few days and now won't budge.

E89 20i (ish) M Sport Valencia Orange
Gone: E85 2.0i, 2.5si & 3.0i

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ole gits rule » Thu May 25, 2023 3:48 pm

z4lincs wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 2:12 pm
Ole gits rule wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 8:32 pm The battery will cause major issues but by the description it sound like micro switches - I am sure Robbie will be along to give better advice
Yeah mine is currently under a cover in exactly the same state with the roof half up.. booked in for replacement micro switches next week to hopefully sort. Was intermittent for a few days and now won't budge.
Yeah mine was the same - switches were £16 each at that point prob around £25 now, labour was pretty steep on it at 2Hrs then the diagnostics, just glad mine was covered under warranty.

I think its pretty easy to do - few videos online on how to do it
M4 Vert in Yas Marina Blue
2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

SteveNortham

Post by SteveNortham » Fri May 26, 2023 4:56 pm

I have the same issue, managed to get it to work once and the roof back down and the windows up! I only have a basic ODB reader which doesn't tell me anything.. but seems a Foxwell NT530 is the one to get?

I am keen to self-fix if it's just a microswitch or alike swap. Motor/pump all seem ok and the CTM seems dry/ok.

All seems to work but then the last part of the roof gets stuck and the boot doesn't seem to finish its closing cycle when the roof is fully down - does this look like a sensor issue?

Video here of what it's doing - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UE67X7l6l7Q

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UE67X7l6l7Q[/youtube]

Msport

Post by Msport » Fri May 26, 2023 6:32 pm

Yes that is exactly the same fault I have!

I replaced my battery today but the fault is still there, having read this thread I think we need to replace microswitches 4 and 5 for our particular fault... Full details in this great write up:

viewtopic.php?t=95385#p1402669

Mine is now booked into the garage, but not for another three weeks. Might also see if I can do it myself as don't want to wait that long.

Is your fault Intermittent? Mine is there sometimes but not others.
SteveNortham wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 4:56 pm I have the same issue, managed to get it to work once and the roof back down and the windows up! I only have a basic ODB reader which doesn't tell me anything.. but seems a Foxwell NT530 is the one to get?

I am keen to self-fix if it's just a microswitch or alike swap. Motor/pump all seem ok and the CTM seems dry/ok.

All seems to work but then the last part of the roof gets stuck and the boot doesn't seem to finish its closing cycle when the roof is fully down - does this look like a sensor issue?

Video here of what it's doing - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UE67X7l6l7Q

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UE67X7l6l7Q[/youtube]

SteveNortham

Post by SteveNortham » Fri May 26, 2023 7:19 pm

Mine was intermittent for a few days but now seems to do it every time, I managed to get it back down and windows up after a few tries and left it like that for now - ill check out the fix thread and see if can solve :)

SteveNortham

Post by SteveNortham » Fri May 26, 2023 7:41 pm

Ordered left and right microswitch ring buckle couplings - shall keep posted on if that solves :)

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Fri May 26, 2023 7:42 pm

SteveNortham wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 7:19 pm Mine was intermittent for a few days but now seems to do it every time, I managed to get it back down and windows up after a few tries and left it like that for now - ill check out the fix thread and see if can solve :)
Classic symptoms of bootlid microswitches. They do seem to be the most common ones to fail due to internal corrosion (not sure why TBH).

There is a really good thread on here on where they are located, and a step-by-step guide to changing them, along with BMW part numbers. I did mine last summer (as had exactly the symptoms described here). It is a very simple job and cheap, as long as you do the right things like marking the bolt positions otherwise everything can go out of whack and it will then be a nightmare.

Sopers of Lincoln BMW (if in the UK) are really good on price for parts, very helpful and give a discount to forum members (usually free postage too IIRC).
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

Msport

Post by Msport » Fri May 26, 2023 7:45 pm

Sounds just like mine- it's getting more and more frequent now on mine too.

Like you I have also managed to get the roof and windows all back up for now (after trying to run the opening/closing cycle multiple times).

Definitely keep us posted on here as to how you get on fitting your switches - where did you order them, direct from BMW?

SteveNortham wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 7:19 pm Mine was intermittent for a few days but now seems to do it every time, I managed to get it back down and windows up after a few tries and left it like that for now - ill check out the fix thread and see if can solve :)

SteveNortham

Post by SteveNortham » Fri May 26, 2023 7:46 pm

I'm in UK, down south near Winchester - I did notice the outside of the switches looked to have surface rust on them, so thought that may be an issue - ill get them out over weekend and post some photos.