Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

OBD reader options

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
jonnymac

OBD reader options

Post by jonnymac » Wed May 24, 2023 10:05 am

I'm looking for a little advice

My first year of Carly is nearly up and they've sent out a subscription renewal reminder. While its been fun coding in a few different options, it's diagnostics is not all I could wish for and I'm looking for something a bit more compressive might be needed in my future. Is bimmergeeks the way to go or should I look at connecting my laptop and using some type of windows/Linux software?
Last edited by jonnymac on Wed May 24, 2023 6:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
E89 3.0i manual

matsmith749

ODB Options

Post by matsmith749 » Wed May 24, 2023 1:03 pm

What were you missing from Carly? IMHO bimmergeeks tools are along similar lines, maybe a little mode into the detail (but not by much).

Bi-Di controls is often the next step up, but all depends on what you couldn't do (but wanted to).
From Jan 2023 2016 e89 Z4 35is / mineral white / coral red interior / all the extras
SOLD 2010 e89 Z4 35is / space grey / coral red interior / all the extras
SOLD 2007 e85 Z4 3.0 si sport / midnight blue / champagne interior

DonDon

ODB Options

Post by DonDon » Wed May 24, 2023 1:41 pm

I've been wondering much the same thing. All I have is a very cheap ELM 327 Pro adaptor and the Torque app.

I see that there are lots of app options and I wondered if there was a decent write-up that compares their features and pricing, together with the ODB adaptors they work with. I am very new to this, so I don't know what it is that i don't know :?
2013 E89 28i auto

jonnymac

ODB Options

Post by jonnymac » Wed May 24, 2023 1:49 pm

I was watching a guy fix his e89 broken roof the other day on youtube and he was able to drill down to the particular roof sensor and manually flick the sensor open and closed by hand and see the live data on his handheld reader of that sensor open and close.

I also thought it might be handy to have a recorded base line of all sensor data with the engine running (hot&cold)as well. For example, I had a MAF sensor error in the future I could look back at the old saved data and have idea of what it's output should look like vs what it currently looks like.
E89 3.0i manual

DonDon

ODB Options

Post by DonDon » Wed May 24, 2023 2:30 pm

@jonnymac Please could you fix the title to OBD Options, simply to help anyone in the future searching for a topic like this.
2013 E89 28i auto

matsmith749

ODB Options

Post by matsmith749 » Wed May 24, 2023 3:35 pm

OK - I like that ambition!

You know there are a metric s**t ton of sensors & data from this car... that's such a huge thing to undertake.

The good news, is that a large number of readers will provide decent depth of live data that works just as you describe. I have an Autel mk808bt that does exactly this, plus graphs & alsorts else. And it is bidirectional - hence the unit can actually run tests against the electronic systems of the car.

Probably lots of other do the same if you want to spend less - equally others out there do a lot more (but the sky is the limit - you can spend a lot!)
From Jan 2023 2016 e89 Z4 35is / mineral white / coral red interior / all the extras
SOLD 2010 e89 Z4 35is / space grey / coral red interior / all the extras
SOLD 2007 e85 Z4 3.0 si sport / midnight blue / champagne interior

jonnymac

ODB Options

Post by jonnymac » Wed May 24, 2023 6:38 pm

matsmith749 wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 3:35 pm OK - I like that ambition!

You know there are a metric s**t ton of sensors & data from this car... that's such a huge thing to undertake.

The good news, is that a large number of readers will provide decent depth of live data that works just as you describe. I have an Autel mk808bt that does exactly this, plus graphs & alsorts else. And it is bidirectional - hence the unit can actually run tests against the electronic systems of the car.

Probably lots of other do the same if you want to spend less - equally others out there do a lot more (but the sky is the limit - you can spend a lot!)
I like the look of the Autel mk808bt but its pretty expensive considering how little use it will get (touch wood!!!!! :rofl: )
E89 3.0i manual

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

OBD reader options

Post by B21 » Wed May 24, 2023 6:48 pm

I use ISTA on my laptop which is free bar a USB to KCAN adapter..

Most of the time I use Bimmergeeks Protool..it’s got most of the functionality of ISTA but in a handy portable package aka an android phone..I use a ruggedised Chinese android phone for £70..

So if yiu have an issue on the road it’s no issue to diagnose an issue…

To use a phrase it’s bi directional so it’s pretty good at more in depth issues…

It’s a one of payment with updates quite often and excellent technical support..

Not a user friendly as Carly but much more powerful..

Tried most of them including some Foxwell products..

Obviously there are high end products but the licensing can e quite punitive..
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

birdy_z4

OBD reader options

Post by birdy_z4 » Thu May 25, 2023 8:04 am

Old laptop bmw tools ista, inpa and ncsexpert :-)