Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Hand brake rock

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Hand brake rock

Post by MikeyH » Tue May 23, 2023 11:07 pm

Is it normal for the car to roll forwards or backwards a little when the hand brake has just been applied depending which way I am facing up or down hill? Also it’s started making a load crack noise when driving off after an overnight with the hand brake left on.
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

Southwestz4

Hand brake rock

Post by Southwestz4 » Wed May 24, 2023 9:48 am

Mine does roll back or forward a little ....I was told it was normal ....apparently :|
I also occasionally drive slowly around a carpark with the handbrake on about two clicks to clean the handbrake shoes/ internal drum braking surface as they don't get cleaned like normal drums....handbrake will have more bite after doing this. :thumbsup:
2004 z4 3.0i Sterling silver
x5 40d m sport black sapphire metallic
Transit custom

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Hand brake rock

Post by Chris_D » Wed May 24, 2023 10:02 am

I'm in the habit of parking in gear to save wear on the handbrake even when parked on an incline, using 2nd or reverse depending on the orientation. I never use it on level ground but checking you're not going to roll away should be mandatory of course.

Checking for neutral before cranking and applying the handbrake slightly if on an incline so you don't roll away when putting gear into neutral becomes a natural habit very easily too.
Give it a crack :thumbsup:
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Hand brake rock

Post by MikeyH » Wed May 24, 2023 2:41 pm

Southwestz4 wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 9:48 am Mine does roll back or forward a little ....I was told it was normal ....apparently :|
I also occasionally drive slowly around a carpark with the handbrake on about two clicks to clean the handbrake shoes/ internal drum braking surface as they don't get cleaned like normal drums....handbrake will have more bite after doing this. :thumbsup:
Thank you, normal is good, l wondered if it was the play in the diff. I will try the car park myself as it squeaks sometimes.
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Hand brake rock

Post by MikeyH » Wed May 24, 2023 2:43 pm

Chris_D wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 10:02 am I'm in the habit of parking in gear to save wear on the handbrake even when parked on an incline, using 2nd or reverse depending on the orientation. I never use it on level ground but checking you're not going to roll away should be mandatory of course.

Checking for neutral before cranking and applying the handbrake slightly if on an incline so you don't roll away when putting gear into neutral becomes a natural habit very easily too.
I park in the driveway and this is a slight slope so I will give this a go. Maybe put some bricks behind the wheels, many thanks.

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Hand brake rock

Post by Chris_D » Wed May 24, 2023 3:23 pm

MikeyH wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 2:43 pm
Chris_D wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 10:02 am I'm in the habit of parking in gear to save wear on the handbrake even when parked on an incline, using 2nd or reverse depending on the orientation. I never use it on level ground but checking you're not going to roll away should be mandatory of course.

I park in the driveway and this is a slight slope so I will give this a go. Maybe put some bricks behind the wheels, many thanks.
You don't need to use bricks under the wheels if left in gear parked up fella. You risk forgetting to remove them and knackering your tyres too.
;)

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Hand brake rock

Post by Pondrew » Wed May 24, 2023 3:34 pm

Chris_D wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 3:23 pm You don't need to use bricks under the wheels if left in gear parked up fella. You risk forgetting to remove them and knackering your tyres too.
Done that a few times recently; putting chocks under wheels when working on rear brakes then forgetting to remove them. Then thinking the handbrake or rear calipers have seized on! :headbang: :headbang:
I left a bungee strap attached to one of the springs the other day after changing brakes. Took me ages to work out what the clattering was! :headbang: :headbang:

Old age! :roll:
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Hand brake rock

Post by Chris_D » Wed May 24, 2023 3:44 pm

Pondrew wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 3:34 pm
Chris_D wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 3:23 pm You don't need to use bricks under the wheels if left in gear parked up fella. You risk forgetting to remove them and knackering your tyres too.
Done that a few times recently; putting chocks under wheels when working on rear brakes then forgetting to remove them. Then thinking the handbrake or rear calipers have seized on! :headbang: :headbang:
I left a bungee strap attached to one of the springs the other day after changing brakes. Took me ages to work out what the clattering was! :headbang: :headbang:

Old age! :roll:
Oh Pondlife, you thilly wabbit!
facepalm.png
facepalm.png (55.82 KiB) Viewed 128 times