Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Footwell hotter on driver side than passenger side?

PaperSniper

Post by PaperSniper » Tue May 23, 2023 3:22 pm

My car is about 3 years old....getting ready to go off USA warranty. The last two months or so I've noticed my footwell, down where my feet are, is hot. I thought it was my imagination or the sun was shining down there. Nope. After several more times driving it's warmer there than the passenger side. I have "measured" difference by the scientific method of sticking my hand down on each side. :roll:

Anyone else had this issue?

Doug
2020 BMW Z4 M40i
Misano Blue, Premium, Leather
Need more curves in west Tennessee!

ori

Post by ori » Wed May 24, 2023 7:26 am

Strange one. Modern cars have lots of valves in the heating system.
Is climate set to auto? If you manually deselect feet circulation does air still hit the floor?

PaperSniper

Post by PaperSniper » Wed May 24, 2023 12:51 pm

ori wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 7:26 am Strange one. Modern cars have lots of valves in the heating system.
Is climate set to auto? If you manually deselect feet circulation does air still hit the floor?
I don't use the "Auto" climate setting summer or winter. If I turn on the AC and it's directed to the footwell and dash, I do feel cooler air in both places on both sides. If the fan is OFF I notice the heat disparity in warm weather. I don't notice it in the winter which makes sense to me. I've never been impressed with the fan's performance in this car, even at HIGH it's not what I'd consider a strong fan. But I think that's about par for the BMWs we've owned.

I am going to take it to the dealer against my better judgment....or maybe in my best interests. The "new car" warranty expires the end of next month. I think major components are covered for 50k miles and five years <?>, but I'm far from that at about 14k miles. It's probably best to have them inspect the car prior to expiration of any warranty just in case something related goes bad. Documentation never hurts, although I hate to leave the car at the dealer for something like this that will require a bit of trouble shooting. I'm really worried they might fiddle with the dash. In my experience that always results in an annoying rattle! :o

Doug
2020 BMW Z4 M40i

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MikeyH » Wed May 24, 2023 2:52 pm

Nothing changes then, my 19 year old E85 does the same, sometimes it’s so hot it feels as if my foot will get burnt off :D I was told it’s to do with the cooling system needing a bleed.
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

PaperSniper

Post by PaperSniper » Wed May 24, 2023 4:01 pm

Cooling system needing a bleed makes it hot. That does sound a bit strange! 8)
2020 BMW Z4 M40i