Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Minging bonnet and alloys - advice please

Claying, polishing, waxing... share your secrets in here.
brillomaster

Post by brillomaster » Fri May 12, 2023 6:57 pm

Sheesh that bonnet is in such bad condition you might as well try repainting it yourself, youve got nothing to lose! And a bonnet is probably one of the simpler things to flat back and repaint, surely.

Same with the wheels, id dissassemble them and rattle can them too. But then im not one for 100% cosmetic perfection, my last z4 was a track car, only had to look vaguely passable from 6ft away.

MKZ4000

Post by MKZ4000 » Fri May 12, 2023 6:58 pm

Unless you can find a cheap bonnet in the same colour In good condition, you may as well respray what you have.

The wheels are 108s and can be refurbed but they have to be split and they are prone to corroding again around the bolt holes. They are one of the best looking wheels though
BMW E85 Z4M
BMW E85 Z4 2.5
Gone Z4 E85 3.0

GengisKaan

Post by GengisKaan » Fri May 12, 2023 7:41 pm

patriot66 wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 6:48 pm Just spotted a Titan Silver bonnet in good condition (a few stone chips) on Ebay for £150 or Best Offer. Free collection from Stourbridge or £70 carriage :thumbsup: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/175629075200 ... media=COPY
Amazing stuff, thank you! I'll get in touch.

Maybe hold off on your kind offer for now thank you Zedd
E85 3.0i (2003)

GengisKaan

Post by GengisKaan » Fri May 12, 2023 7:47 pm

How easy is it for a very simple mechanical ability man such as myself to fit a new bonnet?
E85 3.0i (2003)

raymond.harper

Post by raymond.harper » Fri May 12, 2023 7:50 pm

By the time you pay for the bonnet and the postage (£220) you might be better off getting the existing one painted. Or be patient and wait for the right second-hand one in the same colour to appear somewhere near you so you can drive over and swap.

raymond.harper

Post by raymond.harper » Fri May 12, 2023 7:52 pm

GengisKaan wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 7:47 pm How easy is it for a very simple mechanical ability man such as myself to fit a new bonnet?
. get plenty of towels and a friend to help! viewtopic.php?t=140927

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ole gits rule » Fri May 12, 2023 8:04 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 6:27 pm
Ole gits rule wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 6:22 pm
enuff_zed wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 5:30 pm Cheers, on both counts.
Looking forward to plenty of sun and booze :D

Snap just gotta wait till Nov - seems an age away
Where are you booked?
We are doing Sandals Halcyon. People say it's expensive but Vall dives and it's included so that is £2k+ clawed back.
Last year she went out as a volunteer for a month, teaching kids to swim as part of a sports charity. Met loads of great people so this time we will be spending time with the locals which gives you a much better appreciation of the place.
Sandals Grande St Lucian, first time as we normally due Maldives or Cape Town, something different this time as a honeymoon
M4 Vert in Yas Marina Blue
2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

patriot66
Lifer
Lifer

Post by patriot66 » Fri May 12, 2023 8:16 pm

raymond.harper wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 7:50 pm By the time you pay for the bonnet and the postage (£220) you might be better off getting the existing one painted. Or be patient and wait for the right second-hand one in the same colour to appear somewhere near you so you can drive over and swap.
Doubt he'll get a decent one like that cheaper down in London (his location) or a decent cheap bonnet respray either down that neck of the woods. If I was the OP I'd make the BMW breakers in Stourbridge an offer for a bit less and tell them he'll drive up with a mate to swap bonnets there and they can keep the old one ! Worth a shot :thumbsup:
Sterling Grey '03 2.5i SE / Infinitas Supercharger / S.M.G / Hardtop / Gloss Black 162s / Bilstein B4s / 3.0i Brakes / DLV De-Cat & Silencer / Rebuilt VANOS / Sonar 2Xcite Lights / Carbon & Alcantara Trim / M-Sport Seats / ...& Side Covers !

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bigwinn » Fri May 12, 2023 8:25 pm

patriot66 wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 8:16 pm
raymond.harper wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 7:50 pm By the time you pay for the bonnet and the postage (£220) you might be better off getting the existing one painted. Or be patient and wait for the right second-hand one in the same colour to appear somewhere near you so you can drive over and swap.
Doubt he'll get a decent one like that cheaper down in London (his location) or a decent cheap bonnet respray either down that neck of the woods. If I was the OP I'd make the BMW breakers in Stourbridge an offer for a bit less and tell them he'll drive up with a mate to swap bonnets there and they can keep the old one ! Worth a shot :thumbsup:
If it’s the guy I know in Stourbridge he will cut a deal- Andy is a good guy
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

EWS Delete PM me
Coding- airbags etc PM me

GengisKaan

Post by GengisKaan » Sat May 13, 2023 9:54 am

bigwinn wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 8:25 pm
patriot66 wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 8:16 pm
If it’s the guy I know in Stourbridge he will cut a deal- Andy is a good guy
Sounds promising! Do you have a number by chance?
E85 3.0i (2003)

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bigwinn » Sat May 13, 2023 11:19 am

I’ll pm you (if I’ve still got it)

Also if you need a boot lid in Titan I’ve got one
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

EWS Delete PM me

GengisKaan

Post by GengisKaan » Mon May 15, 2023 12:01 pm

Thanks for all the responses and kind offers.

I bit the bullet and ordered one for £200 off ebay, but it is in "very good" condition, and looks blemish free actually. Also saves me the logistical headache of trying to drive somewhere, fit a new one, and somehow dispose of my current one.

Anyway, I have been looking through the older threads relating to bonnets and other google searches, but can't find anything at all that is of much use.

Is it really just two bolts and the washer hoses that hold the bonnet in place? What about the hydraulic lift element? In short, I am scared to mess it all up! :roll:

Whilst we are on the same topic, does anyone have any advice for what I should do with the alloys? Will it be better to just buy used ones?

Thanks as always
E85 3.0i (2003)

kis
Lifer
Lifer

Post by kis » Mon May 15, 2023 12:15 pm

GengisKaan wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 12:01 pm Whilst we are on the same topic, does anyone have any advice for what I should do with the alloys? Will it be better to just buy used ones?
Glad you got one sorted.

Re the alloys, Chris_D sprayed his in plasti-dip. Worth considering it if you've got good rubber and want to stay with 18's.
My E85 Z4 3.0i SMG

BMW Family History (past and present):
1 Series - E87
3 Series - E46 Coupe, E46 M3, E90 (x3)
4 Series - F36, F82 M4
5 Series - E34 (x2), E39
7 Series - E32
X5 - E53, E70
X6 - E71

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Mon May 15, 2023 12:26 pm

GengisKaan wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 12:01 pm Whilst we are on the same topic, does anyone have any advice for what I should do with the alloys? Will it be better to just buy used ones?
There are a few topics in the wheel section of people refurbing wheels themselves. I have done it and the results are really good, but mine aren't split rims which may be a bit trickier.
A bit of time, a lot of patience, a few quid in rattle cans and some good quality masking tape will get them looking much better, though if you want to have a go! :)

Used wheels on eBay, etc tend to generally not be....umm...in the best condition. Beware.
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bigwinn » Mon May 15, 2023 12:45 pm

GengisKaan wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 12:01 pm Thanks for all the responses and kind offers.

I bit the bullet and ordered one for £200 off ebay, but it is in "very good" condition, and looks blemish free actually. Also saves me the logistical headache of trying to drive somewhere, fit a new one, and somehow dispose of my current one.

Anyway, I have been looking through the older threads relating to bonnets and other google searches, but can't find anything at all that is of much use.

Is it really just two bolts and the washer hoses that hold the bonnet in place? What about the hydraulic lift element? In short, I am scared to mess it all up! :roll:

Whilst we are on the same topic, does anyone have any advice for what I should do with the alloys? Will it be better to just buy used ones?

Thanks as always
Very easy to do- just take your time and get a mate to help- the bonnet isn't heavy just awkward

the hydraulics pop off with a screwdriver but don't do that first
undo the 13mm bolts either side that secure the bonnet and loosen the 13mms that locate them- so 4 in total 2 each side
undo the 10mm safety strap
pop the rams off
pull the bonnet toward you

EWS Delete PM me