Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

30i Track Day Power Loss

sjsstl

30i Track Day Power Loss

Post by sjsstl » Thu May 11, 2023 5:36 pm

I have been at 3 track days with 2 similar G29 30i's and both exhibit SIGNIFICANT power loss regularly during the session. Happens intermittently several times during most sessions including at the beginning so unlikely to be a heat issue and on straights as well as curves. The Sport Display shows the immediate loss of 50% or more power and torque but full power will always return seemingly instantly after 5-20 seconds or so. Shifting down or up does not help. I do not think it is fuel starvation since it happens all around a track and comes and goes nearly immediately.

Thanks in advance for any ideas, I am baffled and doubt a dealer would be of any help with this.

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

30i Track Day Power Loss

Post by B21 » Thu May 11, 2023 6:19 pm

Could be oil starvation ..many BMW engines cannot cope with race track G loadings as oil surges in sump losing oil pressure..

The DME if it senses that may try and protect the engine..

It’s definitely an issue with the N20 and N54…
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

30i Track Day Power Loss

Post by enuff_zed » Thu May 11, 2023 6:20 pm

B21 wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 6:19 pm Could be oil starvation ..many BMW engines cannot cope with race track G loadings as oil surges in sump losing oil pressure..

In which case, despite the OPs last sentence, he is NOT baffled. :rofl:
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

warmasice

30i Track Day Power Loss

Post by warmasice » Thu May 11, 2023 6:31 pm

:rofl: :rofl:

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

30i Track Day Power Loss

Post by john-e89 » Thu May 11, 2023 6:44 pm

B21 wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 6:19 pm Could be oil starvation ..many BMW engines cannot cope with race track G loadings as oil surges in sump losing oil pressure..

OP says it happens on straights too so unlikely I'd say
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

B21
Lifer
Lifer

30i Track Day Power Loss

Post by B21 » Thu May 11, 2023 7:23 pm

john-e89 wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 6:44 pm

The issue is lag..on the N20 and N54 in the US where they are tracked often, the low pressure would come after the end of the curve and onto the straight.. :thumbsup:

As I said ‘it could be’ ..open to other ideas !
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

30i Track Day Power Loss

Post by john-e89 » Thu May 11, 2023 7:57 pm

B21 wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 7:23 pm

The issue is lag..on the N20 and N54 in the US where they are tracked often, the low pressure would come after the end of the curve and onto the straight.. :thumbsup:

Do you mean turbo lag..? wouldnt have any bearing on oil pressure. Oil starvation would be more commonly known with stock cars on track if it was a major issue Id think.

As I said, unlikely....open to other ideas. :thumbsup:
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

B21
Lifer
Lifer

30i Track Day Power Loss

Post by B21 » Thu May 11, 2023 8:12 pm

On the N54s and N20s oil pickup starvation is a common issue when exceeding 1G cornering..one of the reasons that you see very few raced as it’s very difficult for a successful baffle arrangement and not easy to dry sump them..

https://navardituned.com/products/bafflekit

The 30i engine is a derivative of the N20 FWIW..

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

30i Track Day Power Loss

Post by enuff_zed » Thu May 11, 2023 8:17 pm

john-e89 wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 7:57 pm

Do you mean turbo lag..? wouldnt have any bearing on oil pressure. Oil starvation would be more commonly known with stock cars on track if it was a major issue Id think.

If you come out of a curve fast, then accelerate down a straight, all the oil that was over to one side in the curve will now slosh to the back.
After a second or two the oil that the pump has already picked up will have departed to the top end of the engine and the pump will suck air. Therefore, to me it makes sense that it could take a couple of seconds (a fair distance at track speeds) for the oil pressure drop to be sensed. Even then I suspect there is a very short inbuilt delay to allow for glitches in the system.
Then of course, on braking, the oil all sloshes to the front, or side maybe if it's a real novice still braking into the bend.
Depending where the oil pick-up is located, various different scenarios could starve the pump.
So to me, as a track day virgin, but with a fair degree of real world engineering understanding, it is acceptable that oil pressure drop could be the issue.
However, there are of course other issues that could cause this. I would rule out component failure though as this is reported to be exactly the same in more than one car.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

30i Track Day Power Loss

Post by john-e89 » Fri May 12, 2023 1:49 am

enuff_zed wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 8:17 pm
john-e89 wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 7:57 pm

If you come out of a curve fast, then accelerate down a straight, all the oil that was over to one side in the curve will now slosh to the back.
After a second or two the oil that the pump has already picked up will have departed to the top end of the engine and the pump will suck air. Therefore, to me it makes sense that it could take a couple of seconds (a fair distance at track speeds) for the oil pressure drop to be sensed. Even then I suspect there is a very short inbuilt delay to allow for glitches in the system.
Then of course, on braking, the oil all sloshes to the front, or side maybe if it's a real novice still braking into the bend.
Depending where the oil pick-up is located, various different scenarios could starve the pump.
So to me, as a track day virgin, but with a fair degree of real world engineering understanding, it is acceptable that oil pressure drop could be the issue.
However, there are of course other issues that could cause this. I would rule out component failure though as this is reported to be exactly the same in more than one car.
What makes me disagree with that Enuff is manufacturers have to take into account scenarios of extremes, eg, Porlock hill in Devon is 1 in 4 in places, a modern engine has to be able to keep running with a car stationary on that hill either facing up or down with no oil starvation, usually to wait chuff knows how long for the dipstick towing a caravan that simply HAS prove it can be done to get up there instead of going round the long way-ask me how I know.... :roll: Of course on focussed and very quick track cars that's why they baffle or dry sump, but you can still take a standard car on a track day with no issues, as we know thousands do, so that's why i don't think it's oil related as we'd be seeing thousands of engines needing rebuilds yearly, I think modern engines are pretty well engineered in that area.

Could be completely wrong of course, just my thinking from my old mechanics days. :thumbsup:
MR2 MK 2
E89 35is
G29

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

30i Track Day Power Loss

Post by enuff_zed » Fri May 12, 2023 8:54 am

John what you say also makes sense but given anecdotal evidence that other engines do suffer from this I was considering it to be a possibility.
Your hill theory is a sound one too.
Need to put oil in a glass jar, tilt it to 25 degrees and see where it goes up to. Then lay the jar flat and accelerate it and see if the oil moves further :D

I am trying to think what else could cause this power loss. Seems a given that the DME is doing it on purpose but why?

I just keep coming back to that oil theory.

Perhaps it factors in engine speed as well?

An engine drive pump at higher speeds is going to be much more prone to cavitation and therefore it could be that whilst some oil is still being picked up, it is a lesser volume and the pump is cavitating, hence a lower delivery pressure?

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

30i Track Day Power Loss

Post by Smartbear » Fri May 12, 2023 9:19 am

enuff_zed wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 8:54 am John what you say also makes sense but given anecdotal evidence that other engines do suffer from this I was considering it to be a possibility.
Need to put oil in a glass jar, tilt it to 25 degrees and see where it goes up to. Then lay the jar flat and accelerate it and see if the oil moves further :D

I am trying to think what else could cause this power loss. Seems a given that the DME is doing it on purpose but why?

An engine drive pump at higher speeds is going to be much more prone to cavitation and therefore it could be that whilst some oil is still being picked up, it is a lesser volume and the pump is cavitating, hence a lower delivery pressure?
Maybe the traction control is cutting the power if it’s being thrown around on a track?
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

30i Track Day Power Loss

Post by Smartbear » Fri May 12, 2023 9:22 am

The power on my z4 has also been considerably reduced recently (to zero) that’s for a different reason though :cry:
E2DCBD68-FD4A-4C91-84F5-09260CB1AE65.jpeg
E2DCBD68-FD4A-4C91-84F5-09260CB1AE65.jpeg (139.35 KiB) Viewed 848 times
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

30i Track Day Power Loss

Post by enuff_zed » Fri May 12, 2023 9:46 am

Smartbear wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 9:22 am The power on my z4 has also been considerably reduced recently (to zero) that’s for a different reason though :cry:
E2DCBD68-FD4A-4C91-84F5-09260CB1AE65.jpeg
Rob
Oh FFS!
That is awful Rob. Is it salvageable?
That's an electrical nightmare.
I feel for you.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

30i Track Day Power Loss

Post by enuff_zed » Fri May 12, 2023 9:50 am

Smartbear wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 9:19 am
enuff_zed wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 8:54 am John what you say also makes sense but given anecdotal evidence that other engines do suffer from this I was considering it to be a possibility.

Maybe the traction control is cutting the power if it’s being thrown around on a track?
Rob
Another possibility, but it's doing it even when you change up a gear, and in a straight line.