Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

What the hell is this?

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
ori

What the hell is this?

Post by ori » Wed May 10, 2023 9:21 pm

So what the hell is this? I mean yes I was going 25 in a 20 (which is all of London), but what’s with the threats of further action? What can they actually do?
IMG_0790.jpeg
IMG_0790.jpeg (124.43 KiB) Viewed 531 times

Rockhopper

What the hell is this?

Post by Rockhopper » Wed May 10, 2023 9:34 pm

It’s exactly what it says it is - a friendly warning. If they catch you again in a community speed trap they’ll throw the book at you. All the ones I’ve seen have had a traffic Police presence with local people operating the equipment under their supervision so it’s legit.

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

What the hell is this?

Post by Pondrew » Wed May 10, 2023 9:36 pm

That, sir, is a load of bollox from a load of 'do gooders' with nothing better to do with their time.
The last paragraph is laughable:
"don't do it again! If you do it will be your last warning. If you then do it again, we will send this letter....,again!

Classic 'not worth the paper it's written on'!
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

ori

What the hell is this?

Post by ori » Wed May 10, 2023 9:41 pm

Rockhopper wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 9:34 pm It’s exactly what it says it is - a friendly warning. If they catch you again in a community speed trap they’ll throw the book at you. All the ones I’ve seen have had a traffic Police presence with local people operating the equipment under their supervision so it’s legit.
What further action can they take?
It’s a very flimsy book they can throw at me.

They have no legal power, and the police can’t use someone else equipment to prosecute you. There are calibration rules and standards that these guys will not meet.

ori

What the hell is this?

Post by ori » Wed May 10, 2023 9:42 pm

Pondrew wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 9:36 pm That, sir, is a load of bollox from a load of 'do gooders' with nothing better to do with their time.
The last paragraph is laughable:
"don't do it again! If you do it will be your last warning. If you then do it again, we will send this letter....,again!

Classic 'not worth the paper it's written on'!
As I thought. They state the police can get involved and take matters further. I don’t see how though.

Ps. The paper was the lowest grade thinnest piece of crap.

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

What the hell is this?

Post by Pondrew » Wed May 10, 2023 9:53 pm

ori wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 9:42 pm Ps. The paper was the lowest grade thinnest piece of crap.
I would guess that's because the Camden 'parish council for road safety' have to fund everything themselves. They may have badgered the Met so much that they got given a couple of old speed guns. I bet Mr Daniel Card is overjoyed at having to have his name associated with it to give it some kind of 'weight'. :D

They are probably having their weekly meeting as we speak in the Dog and Duck, discussing their achievements and deciding whose turn it is to wash the hi-vis jackets! :rofl:
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

Rockhopper

What the hell is this?

Post by Rockhopper » Wed May 10, 2023 10:02 pm

They use Police equipment under Police supervision. At least around here they do. Speed camera vans and manned by civilians you know. My next door neighbour works for them.

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

What the hell is this?

Post by Pondrew » Wed May 10, 2023 10:08 pm

Rockhopper wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 10:02 pm Speed camera vans and manned by civilians you know.
Says in the letter:
"We do NOT use video or photographs in Community Road Watch events".

Maybe Notts have a bigger budget than Camden?

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

ori

What the hell is this?

Post by ori » Wed May 10, 2023 10:12 pm

Funnily enough I have a clean license. Having this come through the post was just ridiculous. If I’m getting busted it’s not by these morons!
Last edited by ori on Wed May 10, 2023 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

What the hell is this?

Post by Chris_D » Wed May 10, 2023 10:15 pm

Driving around at 25mph in a city is the true/actual crime here.
Get a fkg bike you lazy twod.
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

ori

What the hell is this?

Post by ori » Wed May 10, 2023 10:19 pm

Chris_D wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 10:15 pm Driving around at 25mph in a city is the true/actual crime here.
Get a fkg bike you lazy twod.
Yeah Chris. Your input is as useful as the letter I received.

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

What the hell is this?

Post by Pondrew » Wed May 10, 2023 10:57 pm

ori wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 10:12 pm Funnily enough I have a clean license. Having this come through the post was just ridiculous. If I’m getting busted it’s not by these morons!
Just for fun I googled "Camden community road watch records". No matches were found!
I have a feeling these 'records' are kept on a spreadsheet by Derek and Sylvia Hopkins at No. 32 Acacia Avenue, Camden NW3. :lol:

Found this, though (havering over 50forum). Page 3 bullet point three may be enlightening!
http://havo50forum.org/blog/wp-content/ ... Apr-17.pdf

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

What the hell is this?

Post by Mr Tidy » Wed May 10, 2023 11:05 pm

It's sad to see some people are sad enough to spend time doing this. :headbang:

Can't they just volunteer at a community centre, foodbank, charity shop or something useful?
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

ori

What the hell is this?

Post by ori » Wed May 10, 2023 11:10 pm

Pondrew wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 10:57 pm
ori wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 10:12 pm Funnily enough I have a clean license. Having this come through the post was just ridiculous. If I’m getting busted it’s not by these morons!
Just for fun I googled "Camden community road watch records". No matches were found!
I have a feeling these 'records' are kept on a spreadsheet by Derek and Sylvia Hopkins at No. 32 Acacia Avenue, Camden NW3. :lol:

Found this, though (havering over 50forum). Page 3 bullet point three may be enlightening!
http://havo50forum.org/blog/wp-content/ ... Apr-17.pdf
Did you read the bit about targeted enforcement? Wtf? They gonna set traps to catch a specific speeder? Set up an undercover operation? Can’t help you if you are burgled, but a targeted speeder is a top priority.

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

What the hell is this?

Post by MikeyH » Wed May 10, 2023 11:15 pm

We’ve had these busy body cretins with nothing better to do for years in our village ever since the bypass. They stand around in hi vis jackets pointing there bloody radar guns trying to catch drivers exceeding 30 or 20 mph. They are just members of the public bullying the rest of us. They can’t do anything, they are not the police, just sad anonymous and annoying twats. They need to get an f’ing life.
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.