Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Potential newbie in the making

First port of call for new members
Rjt_beemer

Post by Rjt_beemer » Mon May 08, 2023 8:59 pm

Stumbled into here, been offered what looks like a mint 2010 model with hard roof. Not all service history documented (paper) but was to,d this is visible via computer diagnostics? Is that correct?

Not sure whether to pull the trigger on it. Looks mint and looks fun

What should I be looking out for? Any advice here?

Thanks

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Post by B21 » Mon May 08, 2023 9:06 pm

May help if you list what version of E89 :thumbsup:

Also mileage , options etc..
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard..

Rjt_beemer

Post by Rjt_beemer » Mon May 08, 2023 9:10 pm

Apologies.

2010 BMW Z4 E89 23I 2.5 53k miles, manual, leather, heated seats, driving modes, AC and few other bits…..

B21
Lifer
Lifer

Post by B21 » Mon May 08, 2023 9:12 pm

The 23i is a pretty bombproof car..at 50k miles barely run in..

A visual inspection should tell you event you need to know..which country are we talking about ?
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard..

Rjt_beemer

Post by Rjt_beemer » Mon May 08, 2023 9:19 pm

UK 🤣🤣🤣

B21
Lifer
Lifer

Post by B21 » Mon May 08, 2023 10:17 pm

Pull the MOT history and get the VIN decoded :thumbsup:

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Mon May 08, 2023 10:33 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum. :thumbsup:

I know newer BMWs don't have a service book as it is all stored on the OBC, but I'm not sure that would be true for a 2010 model. Hopefully someone on here will know!

As B21 says a 23i with 50K miles is still in it's first flush of youth, so if it has all the kit you want and the price is right why not?

Probably the main issue with cars with that N52 engine is that they have an electric water pump which will die at some point, maybe anywhere from 60K to 90+K - it seems to be random. But when it does the engine will overheat in a mile or so and new OE pumps cost £250/300 (£500+ from BMW) so people often replace them to avoid the aggravation of being stranded.
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Rjt_beemer

Post by Rjt_beemer » Tue May 09, 2023 7:34 am

B21 wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 10:17 pm Pull the MOT history and get the VIN decoded :thumbsup:
I checked MOT history and the mileage and the apparent quality of the car stacks up.......

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ole gits rule » Tue May 09, 2023 8:22 am

I had a 23i until a month ago, bought with 70K on the clock and sold with 82K - drove fantastic was pretty good on fuel.

If the car has all the toys you need then go for it, I would want heated seats and a wind deflector for driving on cold days, everything else is a nice to have.

I would check the alloys for cracks depending on which ones are on the car - 326's can crack.

Mine was 2011, I bought a book and had it stamped where it was known as I had it serviced outside of the BMW network so could keep a record of it.
M4 Vert in Yas Marina Blue
2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

Rjt_beemer

Post by Rjt_beemer » Tue May 09, 2023 8:28 am

I know webuy and parkers are not worth much, but the value they quote what this car would be worth is SIGNIFICANTLY lower than anything I have seen for sale. No ideas why but is concerning because as always, resale and depreciation is an issue when coming to sell although i expected the majority of depreciation to be complete for a 2010 model in this condition and mileage?

Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Argyll Andy » Tue May 09, 2023 8:57 am

Rjt_beemer wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 8:28 am I know webuy and parkers are not worth much
Pretty much ignore them, don’t take into account spec, condition etc.

Oh and welcome to the happy house :thumbsup:

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

Rjt_beemer

Post by Rjt_beemer » Tue May 09, 2023 9:05 am

Argyll Andy wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 8:57 am
    Rjt_beemer wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 8:28 am I know webuy and parkers are not worth much
    Pretty much ignore them, don’t take into account spec, condition etc.

Yeah i know, especially with cars like this but i did get more from them with my wife's old car than the dealer offered me as part-ex!

But yes, will ignore as this valuation doesnt match the picture I see anywhere else

Thanks for the welcome!

Oh and welcome to the happy house :thumbsup:

Pondrew
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Tue May 09, 2023 10:13 am

I wouldn't 'ignore' the trade valuations; just bear them in mind. Gives a good indication of what the trade values them at to buy. Buying is a whole different ball game these days IMO. You can't even get many private sellers being 'realistic' at the moment which keeps the average higher than it should be.

I am guessing the asking price for a 2010 55k 23i is somewhere between £10,000 and £12,000.
    WBAC offer for the same is around £6,000. :o

Lots of people are making very good money on these (and pretty much every other car TBH)!
    All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
    E89 20i Now fully dried
    Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
    Mazda3 sold
    Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

Pondrew
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Tue May 09, 2023 10:19 am

Out of interest I did a WBAC on my E89 other day. Got a quote, took the car to their 'portacabin' around the corner just to see!

Mine is a very low mileage, high spec car which is unmarked inside and out and immacluate. Presents extremely well with no faults at all.
    The WBAC 'manager' spent ages saying how lovely it is, right spec, highly saleable, blah, blah, blah. Then offered £150 more than the base value online! I did chuckle. :roll:
    All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
    E89 20i Now fully dried
    Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
    Mazda3 sold
    Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

Ole gits rule
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by Ole gits rule » Tue May 09, 2023 11:03 am

I had a WBAC car quote at 6.5K on mine sold 8.5k to motorway (low but no hassle for the sake of £500), car is now on Autochoice in Bristol at 11.5k, the car was well spec'd, well looked after 23i Msport highline - like Pondy no marks inside or on the bodywork (needed a wheel refurb though), decent history although not even though the garage says it has it.

WBAC are still sending mails saying the value has risen, they are not really of any use when starting out.
    M4 Vert in Yas Marina Blue
    2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.