Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Connected drive renewal

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

Connected drive renewal

Post by Nanu » Sun May 07, 2023 10:03 am

Just had a message from BMW saying my connected drive expires in 3 weeks.

Seeking views on renewal or not. Is it worth it and what do you actually loose if you don’t renew?

Whenever I have tried to update the maps etc via the App it’s never worked, I have used the concierge service once just to see what is like.

PS. Just went into the App and the warning of expiry is also there with the word Renew. However when you go into it, it says it’s not renewable?.

All opinions as always welcome
G29 M30i M Sport San Francisco Red

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Connected drive renewal

Post by TitanTim » Sun May 07, 2023 12:03 pm

Mines just come up for renewal as well for the M140i, I took out the connected booster package last year for £79 which included online services, weather, RTI information, parking spots etc which I find useful but exluded the map package which I think was another 70 quid or so as I can easily use Google/Waze on my phone. I might renew it again. It would be good to have Android Auto etc although I have the professional nav screen I can't remember if it was available as an option back in 2016, I've looked at retrofit screens which are around 300 quid but don't think its really worth the outlay.

I would have thought if you went for the map package it should update the maps over the air automatically?

My Hyundai Kona all of this is free as standard for 5 years from new and it all get shown on the cars heads up display, BMW are such a ripoff really.

Tim.

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Connected drive renewal

Post by ronk » Sun May 07, 2023 1:10 pm

I didn’t renew mine l

I used to like the concierge service but it deteriorated
Ie I asked for directions to an establishment in SW Northumberland - they (the call centre operatives) sent directions directly to my system to a place in Aberdeen!

I also had the map update to a USB service - that never worked. ( The Dealer couldn’t get it to work either)
They were absolutely clueless

A mobile phone does the job nicely and especially so when combined with the BMW app

In short, keep your money in your own pocket!
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup: