Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

In the market for an M40i

Discussing the current generation Z4
benv6

Post by benv6 » Fri May 05, 2023 10:59 am

Hi Everyone,

I am back here after few Z4 years (Was very active) and I am in the market for a M40i and would like to have some tip on what to look for as I will be getting a used one. can you please advise on the common issues ?
Now: BMW 335D Touring
Previous: 435D Coupe, BMW Z4 E89 35i, BMW Z4 E85 2.0, BMW E46 330CI

ImageImage

ori

Post by ori » Fri May 05, 2023 12:24 pm

I would look for spec at this stage. Tech pack and comfort pack are a must for me, but might not be important for you. Also I would suggest driver assistance pack too. ;)

PSQ777

Post by PSQ777 » Fri May 05, 2023 1:11 pm

benv6 wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 10:59 am Hi Everyone,

I am back here after few Z4 years (Was very active) and I am in the market for a M40i and would like to have some tip on what to look for as I will be getting a used one. can you please advise on the common issues ?
For a used one make sure it has a wind deflector which was an option in the UK (seriously BMW UK ?) or available as part of the comfort pack. Retrofitting this (because you will want to if you don't have it) will cost around £500. I agree with the comment on the technology pack too, it contains the head-up display which is one of the best options available. To my mind all other packs are optional, there wasn't anything compelling enough in them to make them deal breakers when I bought my car. I would have liked the visibility pack for the trick headlights, but not enough to rule out a car at the right price / colour / mileage.

When you do a test drive you might find the brakes to be a bit grabby at slow speeds, or squeaky during low speed manoeuvers. Don't be concerned by this, apparently it's just a characteristic of M-performance brakes. Other than that just all the normal stuff, make sure everything works. When I bought mine I kept asking to check different features to make sure I had covered everything including the minor stuff; ambient lighting, every button on the steering wheel etc..

Tomek

Post by Tomek » Fri May 05, 2023 2:54 pm

I agree with ori, Tech pack and Comfort Pack are a must. Personally when i was buying i also wanted Visibility Pack and Driving Pack which eventually i found in a car i bought. For me all 4 Packs are a must and i use all of them a lot. Unfortunately not many second hand Z4's comes with all 4 Packs. Shadowline Plus Pack is a personal choice which i personalty didn't care for, i don't really like the black wheels.
I had the car for 3 months now and no issues so far, just an amazing car to own and fun to drive.

q96169we

Post by q96169we » Fri May 05, 2023 4:30 pm

To me, I would say the comfort pack is a must, mainly due to the wind deflector. Other packs are sort of okay if a car does not have them, depending on personal perference. Mine only has comfort pack and I don't feel I miss anything even after trying other toys from tech pack or vis pack every day on my another bmw. But this is only my opinion though.

However, depending on which year the car you are looking at, one thing I would pay attention to is what equipment is missing due to shortages. For example, cars from certain period may not have touch screen, or may not have comfort access/digital keys etc.

Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nanu » Fri May 05, 2023 8:17 pm

Just make sure it's a red one :poke:
G29 M30i M Sport San Francisco Red

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White

PSQ777

Post by PSQ777 » Fri May 05, 2023 11:56 pm

I find it interesting our personal preferences differ so widely. Driving Assist pack would have been a negative for me, as would the Shadowline pack. But probably my biggest no go would have been a black leather interior. I'm so bored with them, they are in every car for practicality reasons. I have a Z4, practicality has been chucked out of the window :-)

sars
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sars » Sat May 06, 2023 8:00 am

PSQ777 wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 11:56 pm But probably my biggest no go would have been a black leather interior. I'm so bored with them
I have more positive comments about the interior of my car than anything else, I see black leather and think cheap. The other problem with a full black interior in a two seater convertible is that it’s claustrophobic. As for the OP another on the tech and comfort pack are a must, the standard hifi is wholly inadequate for a convertible and the wind deflector is essential if you have hair that’s not cropped short
Gorgeous SFR Z4 M40i 8)
Gone 2017 Iridium SL400, 2015 435d xDrive Convertible, 2012 E350 CDi Convertible, 2010 DSB Z4 sdrive30i, 2008 Audi A4 Cabriolet, 2006 Phoenix Yellow Z4 2.5Si, 2003 Saab 9-3 Convertible