Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Retirement Club

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Retirement Club

Post by TitanTim » Mon May 01, 2023 4:42 pm

Last Friday I finally said goodbye to the daily 9 to 5 work routine or in my case 6am to 3pm after 41 years at the same workplace and have taken voluntary retirement. I look back now and think where did the time go and how did I get to where I was last Friday :D . I started in my job at 17 although I had two previous jobs after leaving school at 16. In many respects I consider myself to have been lucky. I left school with one o'level and managed to get on what at the time was Maggie Thatchers job opportunity scheme (3 million unemployed) which opened the door to get into a job that I worked my way up in throughout the years. After two years in the job my employer wanted to send me to Birmingham University on a 4 years day release degree course, however there was one sticking point in that I didn't have the required university entry qualifications so I had to embark on 12 months of evening classes at my local college to retake Maths, English and a Science. Should have paid attention at school :lol: Once I had these it was off to University for the 4 years. Thankfully managed to get the degree and was just a case of sticking with it and working my way up to become a team manager some 17 years ago.

I always said I would finish work before the age of 60 no matter what and consider myself lucky to have realised this at 58.

Ironically last week I was summoned for Jury Service, timing was impeccable so had to bring the leaving doo forward a week, I was a bit miffed at first but having now completed the Jury Service I actually enjoyed it and found it fascinating how the Courts system works.

So now I'm a free sole and really looking forward to pursueing new hobbies and pastimes and destressing without the daily grind. I haven't realistically been working for over a week now with doing the Jury Service and it's surprising how quickly work has faded away from my life, even when on a 2 week holiday work was never that far away in the background so now enjoying those work thoughts not being there anymore :) Its quite a novelty.

Tim.

inkey$
Lifer
Lifer

Retirement Club

Post by inkey$ » Mon May 01, 2023 4:49 pm

Well you sounds pretty sanguine about the whole thing, Tim, so congratulations on retirement pre-60 and here's to some hobby time to fill the gap. You planning on putting your feet up entirely, or do you have any work/business ideas you'd like to pursue now you have the time?
Current: Project Audi A2 1.4SE
Previously: Z3R 2.8 • E46 330i • Z4R 3.0 • Z4///MC • E90 335i • Z4///MR • Z3///MC 'Breadvan' • Z3R 2.8 • E30 325i R • Z4C • Z4R 3.0

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Retirement Club

Post by TitanTim » Mon May 01, 2023 5:23 pm

inkey$ wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 4:49 pm Well you sounds pretty sanguine about the whole thing, Tim, so congratulations on retirement pre-60 and here's to some hobby time to fill the gap. You planning on putting your feet up entirely, or do you have any work/business ideas you'd like to pursue now you have the time?
Thanks inkey, no plans for anything work orientated for the future, I've a couple of friends who've retired then went back to work within 6 months :D I think they realised retirement wasn't for them or needed the money. I mentioned to work 12 months ago when I was going to finish and its been a long 12 months :lol: it couldn't come soon enough.

I'm planning on doing some voluntary work with The National Trust at a local historic house, just a day or two a week. New walking boots on order as wanting to take more walking up and get fit again :) but generally just enjoying being work free :)

Tim.

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Retirement Club

Post by buzyg » Mon May 01, 2023 5:30 pm

Nice one Tim. 8) Beat me by a year. I hung on until 59, why I will never know. It's been two years now and I have not looked back for one second. Get all the finances sorted and then simply enjoy retirement. :D :thumbsup:

inkey$
Lifer
Lifer

Retirement Club

Post by inkey$ » Mon May 01, 2023 5:30 pm

Well enjoy every moment of it, Tim. Sounds like you have a great plan :thumbsup:
Current: Project Audi A2 1.4SE
Previously: Z3R 2.8 • E46 330i • Z4R 3.0 • Z4///MC • E90 335i • Z4///MR • Z3///MC 'Breadvan' • Z3R 2.8 • E30 325i R • Z4C • Z4R 3.0

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Retirement Club

Post by TitanTim » Mon May 01, 2023 5:39 pm

buzyg wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:30 pm Nice one Tim. 8) Beat me by a year. I hung on until 59, why I will never know. It's been two years now and I have not looked back for one second. Get all the finances sorted and then simply enjoy retirement. :D :thumbsup:
Thanks alot :thumbsup: Work is quite good on the Pension front with it being a Local Goverment Pension scheme, just a case of logging onto their pension portal, entering your leave day and you get your annual Pension figure depending on the lump sum you wish to take. Just a case of calculating the tax and taking it off. Workplace was also good as they run retirement workshops so you get plenty of advice on the finance side of things.

Main reason for me retiring a little earlier is my dad passed away at 62 and never saw retirement so you never know what's around the corner :|

Tim.

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Retirement Club

Post by TitanTim » Mon May 01, 2023 5:40 pm

inkey$ wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:30 pm Well enjoy every moment of it, Tim. Sounds like you have a great plan :thumbsup:
Thanks again inkey :thumbsup:

Tim.

IRD

Retirement Club

Post by IRD » Mon May 01, 2023 6:25 pm

You will soon be quoting the classic line “I don’t know where I found the time to go to work.”
I retired in 1997 and have never regretted it for one moment. One of the great advantages is being able to go on holiday when it’s quiet and when prices are at their lowest. We have just had a week in Crete for not a lot of money and flew home in a half full aircraft.
I think one of the most important considerations is how you get on with the other half. I am lucky that SWMBO is also my best friend. We have friends where things have been a little strained when they are both home together full time.
Enjoy it and make the most of each day. :thumbsup:

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Retirement Club

Post by Smartbear » Mon May 01, 2023 7:03 pm

I was 58 in March & have been retired 5years, I’m not going back :thumbsup:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Retirement Club

Post by ronk » Mon May 01, 2023 7:27 pm

I was 60 when I retired- Do I miss it?
NO!
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

Retirement Club

Post by Nanu » Mon May 01, 2023 7:36 pm

I have retired 3 times now and gone back to work.

Currently working from home for the NHS doing about 10 hrs a week on average and at my own pace so it's just like retirement really. Can't do more hours or will get hit by 40% tax.

The only downside with retirement is when all these people are having / looking forward to a bank holiday or getting paid double time, they are meaningless

I am sure you will manage that disappointment.

Enjoy, I am sure you have earned it :thumbsup:
G29 M30i M Sport San Francisco Red

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Retirement Club

Post by buzyg » Mon May 01, 2023 8:11 pm

Nanu wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 7:36 pm I have retired 3 times now and gone back to work.

Currently working from home for the NHS doing about 10 hrs a week on average and at my own pace so it's just like retirement really. Can't do more hours or will get hit by 40% tax.

The only downside with retirement is when all these people are having / looking forward to a bank holiday or getting paid double time, they are meaningless

I still have to be aware of the bank holidays, but only because we live in Cornwall and other people seem to think they should come down this way at such times. Happily it is only a few days a year. :lol: :wink:

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Retirement Club

Post by TitanTim » Mon May 01, 2023 8:28 pm

IRD wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 6:25 pm You will soon be quoting the classic line “I don’t know where I found the time to go to work.”
I retired in 1997 and have never regretted it for one moment. One of the great advantages is being able to go on holiday when it’s quiet and when prices are at their lowest. We have just had a week in Crete for not a lot of money and flew home in a half full aircraft.
I think one of the most important considerations is how you get on with the other half. I am lucky that SWMBO is also my best friend. We have friends where things have been a little strained when they are both home together full time.
Enjoy it and make the most of each day. :thumbsup:
Thanks alot, whilst on Jury Service last week I got chatting to one or two retirees and thats exactly what they said as their life seemed to get busier once they stopped full time work :)

Tim.

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Retirement Club

Post by TitanTim » Mon May 01, 2023 8:31 pm

Smartbear wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 7:03 pm I was 58 in March & have been retired 5years, I’m not going back :thumbsup:
Rob
I remember when you retired Rob and I thought at the time I'm not jealous in the least, well tell a lie, I was immensly :lol: just glad the 5 years for me has passed quickly :)

Tim.

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Retirement Club

Post by TitanTim » Mon May 01, 2023 8:37 pm

Nanu wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 7:36 pm I have retired 3 times now and gone back to work.

Thank you, a chap in the office retired in 2018 and then came back on a consultancy basis (more money) and is still there. My boss (as was :D ) has kept saying to me over the past 12 months if you fancy coming back on a part time basis to let him know. I'm flattered and all that but for me once the decision has been made I don't think I could go back even if it was part time, that's just me though, I just think why finish in the first place and then return at a later date, would feel a little strange for me.

Tim.