Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Driver window not going up - just checking

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Mon May 29, 2023 11:45 am

Not back from holiday until Thursday. Can also try bigwinn
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

poortomsacold

Post by poortomsacold » Tue May 30, 2023 12:51 pm

SteveD wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 10:42 am Switch cleaned. Now when I try to put window up there is a short nudge downwards. Left window fine and right window goes down OK.

So problem is between the switch and the motor. The circuit board does not have any obvious breaks in it and nothing obvious in the cable from switch to window motor. I should have probably tested the signals I suppose when I had membrane off but doesn't seem likely that the connector to the motor is the issue given the type it is.

So I think next stop is a new switch. enuff_zed, do you have one? Drivers door switch. If not then poortomsacold, do you still have yours?

For info for anyone with similar issues, my window does not go up after pressing lock for 20 seconds (the passenger window doesn't go up either). The window also doesn't go up when raising the roof from inside. I have a gaptech module. Locking by that (2 clicks on open, 1 click on lock) does not raise window either. I presume that is because window is fully lowered.
Hi

Yes I still have one for sale - but as enuff_zed was first he should be given the opportunity to reply and sell his to you if he still has it available.

Cheers
2003 3.0i Sterling Grey

poortomsacold

Post by poortomsacold » Tue May 30, 2023 12:52 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 11:45 am Not back from holiday until Thursday. Can also try bigwinn
Just seen your reply after submitting my own!

Feel free to PM me if you want mine. Cheers.
2003 3.0i Sterling Grey

SteveD

Post by SteveD » Sat Jun 24, 2023 4:16 pm

Hi again

So - managed to get replacement switch (thanks @enuff_zed) but that didn't solve the problem. :(

So - the motor works - I can raise/lower the window if I apply power. I have tested the input with both switches - 12-14volts when pushing down - zero when pushing up. So (assuming two switches don't have exact same issue) the problem is between the switch and the window motor.

It seemed to happen suddenly - I had not noticed any problem with it previously - so to me that makes it unlikely to be a problem in the wires themselves. That made me think of relays. Looking at electrical diagrams it seems to be controlled by the General Control Module - and some searching on here says that is the same thing as GM5 module. I can see that I had the GM5 repaired in 2019 - but only for the central locking relay. I have also had some other electrical glitches recently - the speaker under dash was clicking loudly after car was switched off - so I have been disconnecting a few things.

So any views - does GM5 seem likely culprit? It seems a good possibility to me but again I would have expected that to be intermittent before going - but perhaps not. I may plug some other things back in to see if I can make any difference.

Oh - for anyone else checking this, you don't have to remove the air bag to get to the electrical part of window motor - see below
IMG_9996.JPG
IMG_9996.JPG (225.64 KiB) Viewed 117 times
Steve
2003 2.5 Sterling Grey

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Sat Jun 24, 2023 4:47 pm

Happy to take the switch back for a refund minus postage if that helps?
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

SteveD

Post by SteveD » Sun Jul 16, 2023 12:53 pm

Just to round this thread off - the issue was indeed to to with the GM5 module. There are limited places that will fix the window relays (loads that fix the central locking relays) and I was being quoted around £200 to fix.

I fitted a replacement GM5 module (thanks @enuff_zed) and that has sorted the issue. No recoding was needed - but I did have to re-pair my keys.
2003 2.5 Sterling Grey