Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Roof issue(s) constant flashing red light, even when locked, boot now stuck shut

Msport

Roof issue(s) constant flashing red light, even when locked, boot now stuck shut

Post by Msport » Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:32 pm

This whole saga started when I initially had a battery discharge warning pop up on the dash.

This led me to check the battery and I found it had water in the compartment.

At this stage the roof worked fine, no problems with that at all. I read up on here about the water ingress issue, and I disconnected the battery and took it out to clean the water up and dried the foams etc.

I also took the end cap off the hydraulic pump to check for water ingress, but it appeared to have none in there (I caught it when the water was quite low).

I put it all back together and everything worked fine.

Then I was driving along today and all of a sudden the red roof light started flashing continually (it was the roof down light but the roof is stuck up) and the roof would not function at all (stuck up).

I then had another look to see if salmon relays were loose or something, and also recharged the battery to full.

Just tried the car again now and the red light is still flashing continually, but is now flashing even when the car is locked!!!

Further more the boot will no longer open either and all my tools are stuck in there :headbang:

Any ideas?

javis20

Post by javis20 » Thu Apr 27, 2023 2:57 am

Continue to drive it. Some times it's a broken wire or microswitch and if it vibrates itself into position the light will stop blinking and you will be able to get into the boot and half raise the top to get it into position to check wiring and sensors. Mine took a few day till the red light stopped blinking.

clarker63

Post by clarker63 » Thu Apr 27, 2023 10:44 am

Msport wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:32 pm Any ideas?
where was the water ingress? If its over the electronics under the right hand cover when you look in the boot, then these can be a very expensive fix.

You can get to open the boot with something like the foxwell code reader (or there are some threads on here about how to do it manually I believe).

I'm assuming you dont have a code reader - because that might help you understand why its flashing.

Msport

Post by Msport » Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:56 am

Thanks, I have a very basic code reader but it brings up nothing.

Maybe I should buy a foxwell, only about £60- is that the best one to get? At least then I can open the boot.. (local garages all booked till mid may)

The water was nearly all in the battery compartment, I haven't worked out where it was coming from yet.

The right hand side seemed pretty dry, tiny bit of condensation that was about all I could see there :?

Funny thing is it only happened after I dried everything up! Worked fine with the 1cm of water ingress that I cleaned up. Maybe I disturbed a wire or switch :!:
clarker63 wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 10:44 am
Msport wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:32 pm Any ideas?
where was the water ingress? If its over the electronics under the right hand cover when you look in the boot, then these can be a very expensive fix.

You can get to open the boot with something like the foxwell code reader (or there are some threads on here about how to do it manually I believe).

I'm assuming you dont have a code reader - because that might help you understand why its flashing.

clarker63

Post by clarker63 » Thu Apr 27, 2023 1:01 pm

Msport wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:56 am Maybe I should buy a foxwell, only about £60- is that the best one to get? At least then I can open the boot.. (local garages all booked till mid may)
I have a foxwell nt530 although there are loads of different versions.

Its "ok", other people have different tools they'd recommend. Might be worth a go if you can't drive it. Also see if you can find the manual way of doing it (if I recall you need to short a couple of wires near the fuse box). Maybe someone else can assist here?

here's something :
viewtopic.php?p=1852241&hilit=open+boot ... y#p1852241

Msport

Post by Msport » Mon May 01, 2023 12:55 pm

Hi guys,

Just a bizarre update. Today I went to have another go at getting the fuse box out, roof still wasn't working and I still couldn't get the fuse box out but even more bizarrely suddenly the red flashing roof light went off.

I tried the boot and it opened! Also the roof now works perfectly!!

I'm not sure what happened, i think me messing around with the fuse box must have been coincidental.. and more likely is that some moisture in the boot was causing a short which has now dried?

Very strange, hopefully it doesn't come back..
Attachments
PXL_20230501_115028263.jpg
PXL_20230501_115028263.jpg (289.63 KiB) Viewed 292 times

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Post by B21 » Mon May 01, 2023 1:41 pm

Most likely some combination of improved battery state and moisture drying out certain micro switches…

On both my E89s I had interim roof issues associated with the car being damp through being parked outside through long and soggy winters..

Although it shouldn’t happen as the key micro switches are sealed for whatever reason my roof behaves perfectly when both the battery is fully charged and the boot is obviously dry…
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Mon May 01, 2023 8:08 pm

Any roof problems i always suspect broken wires, having had a few.
Never had problem with boot micros, perhaps some dodgy manufactured later production (dry joints?).
The last bongs were intermittent.
For a few days would pop up on cold day, but ok once been in the sun.
I finally reached back over my right shoulder to exposed roof wires, waggled and bong.
Broken wire.