Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

New rear struts

"M" Specific discussion
Hindy500

New rear struts

Post by Hindy500 » Wed Apr 26, 2023 11:58 am

I’ve read lots but still not completely clear what I want or need. I see a lot of people asking about this but I don’t get a sense of there being a rough consensus on what to do.

Pretty sure I just want to replace the rear struts with OEM or equivalent. A straight swap, keeping the current springs which seem to be fine. I don’t need the car lowered, I don’t mind firmness if it comes with improved handling.

Does Bilstein B6 fit this need? Alternatives? Any obvious things to do re reinforcement while doing it?

Thanks in advance..
Z4MC Sapphire Black, Black leather, Carbon dash, Cruise, Nav. Retrofits: F10 M5 knob, Bluemusic, Useless cupholders.
Ford Mustang Mach-E, LR
Previous:
07 Z4C Grey
03 Z4R 3.0 Grey
99 Mini Cooper

plenty

New rear struts

Post by plenty » Wed Apr 26, 2023 12:04 pm

Yes B6 will do the job. Various cheaper options are also available from the likes of Autodoc. Although I've not tried these options so can't comment on how well-matched they are to the OEM springs.

Not sure if this is what you meant by 'reinforcement' but some people add aftermarket metal plates to help reinforce the rear strut towers.

New top mounts are a no-brainer while you're in there. And always a good idea to replace trailing-arm bushes and axle-carrier ball joints if these haven't been done lately. However those are technically not 'while doing it' jobs as slightly more convoluted than replacing dampers which is extremely straightforward. The hardest part on the Z4MR is dismantling the hood assembly to get to the rear top mounts, but that wouldn't be an issue on a Coupe.

Bombardino

New rear struts

Post by Bombardino » Wed Apr 26, 2023 2:05 pm