Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

UK Gov Zero-Emission Vehicle mandate - discuss

Discuss anything non Z4 related here
Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:49 pm

Nictrix wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:45 pm Just read that MG are releasing a 2 seater soft top electric car. Looks like an MX5.
I will bet Mazda have no knowledge of how that happened! They thought they just ordered a takeaway for delivery, then look what happened! :)
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nanu » Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:41 pm

Would go for a hybrid but more for an increase in performance.

Always thought the i8 technology in the Z4 would have been a winner.

Sadly not to be :(
G29 M30i M Sport San Francisco Red

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White

earthdweller

Post by earthdweller » Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:40 pm

It’s all madness it really is

I have nothing per se against EV’s and for some they are the perfect choice but for others they won’t ever work

When politics drives change it is never going to work out as the incompetents are forcing the unachievable on us with impossible time frames

Latest clip I saw was a US GOV Minister saying they are aiming for a fully EV Military fleet by 2030 … it’s just insane

But anyway

Watched a great documentary on DW/Reuters a few weeks back where they were highlighting a number of issues with EV’s

One of the interesting points was the number of low mileage minimally damaged EV’s that are being written off as uneconomical repairs particularly from certain manufacturers, Tesla and Stellantis being amongst them

It seems the battery packs are part of the structure of many EV’s and if they are damaged or suspected of being damaged then they cannot be repaired and the vehicle is written off

This is apparently causing some issues within the insurance industry and leading to much higher premiums

They were also at a dismantler in the U.K. who was saying that recycling EV’s was not easy or quick, vehicles had to be kept in isolation and very surprisingly they stated that there in no facility in the U.K. for recycling batteries and they now have a huge number of battery packs stored on site

They stated they were getting 30-40 low mileage minimally damaged total loss EV’s every day!

Sadly I can’t find the documentary online at the moment but did find this clip

https://youtu.be/rY3HJVTyRqA
07 3.0si Sport Roadster Titanium Silver/Syrah Blue Individual Leather, CSL reps ZHP

Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nanu » Sat Apr 29, 2023 4:42 pm

Very interesting but would love to see the full documentary.

When will the government wake up and realise EVs are causing more problems than they solve.
G29 M30i M Sport San Francisco Red

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White