Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Another new arrival in the Pond house

Discussion of other cars non-Z4
BeeEmm

Post by BeeEmm » Fri May 05, 2023 9:10 pm

This sounds horrendous. :o Do you have any idea why three wheels were buckled and one split? Could it have been driven of a multi-storey car park into a skip, or am I stretching my imagination too far looking for a reason? :(
I used to have two boys and a girl. Now I have two Men and a Woman. :?

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Fri May 05, 2023 9:30 pm

BeeEmm wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 9:10 pm This sounds horrendous. Do you have any idea why three wheels were buckled and one split? Could it have been driven of a multi-storey car park into a skip, or am I stretching my imagination too far looking for a reason?
I'm guessing a combination of cheap run flat tyres and the previous owner not having any sympathy for the poor car at all. That allied to the shocking state of the roads in the UK. :?
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

BeeEmm

Post by BeeEmm » Fri May 05, 2023 9:42 pm

Pondrew wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 9:30 pm I'm guessing a combination of cheap run flat tyres and the previous owner not having any sympathy for the poor car at all. That allied to the shocking state of the roads in the UK.
I hope that this is the end of you're horror stories with this, as it looks like a good car.
I used to have two boys and a girl. Now I have two Men and a Woman. :?

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Fri May 05, 2023 9:45 pm

BeeEmm wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 9:42 pm I hope that this is the end of you're horror stories with this, as it looks like a good car.
Old cheap cars; I'm now remembering why I gave them up 30 years ago.
Part of it is me. I seem to have a bit of OCD. If it's not perfect then it's not acceptable. Doesn't really work with a tatty old car without costing a fortune.
I've got to send the spare key/fob off to be recoded and a new battery fitted, as I can't bear the thought of having a key that doesn't work. I need to replace the bootlid button, as it only works from the remote which drives me mad too.

I am too used to having brand new cars where everything works perfectly. Struggling to get my head around anything else TBH. :roll:
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Argyll Andy » Fri May 05, 2023 10:11 pm

Pondrew wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 9:45 pm I am too used to having brand new cars where everything works perfectly. Struggling to get my head around anything else TBH.
Unfortunately when moving to the next stage in car “ownership” for our age it involves cheaper, more likely unloved cars that they (we can afford on their behalf). I’ve had to fix both kids cars in the last couple of weeks, nothing major, just time consuming and one of them a pita.

It’s finding that “acceptable” level that takes a bit of adjusting to

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

Pondrew
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Fri May 05, 2023 10:26 pm

Argyll Andy wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 10:11 pm It’s finding that “acceptable” level that takes a bit of adjusting to
    I really want to refurb the wheels on the Mini (as they are pis*ing me off) but I'm holding out as she will no doubt ruin them.
    I'm getting better! :thumbsup:

F31 320i. Good car.
    E89 20i Now fully dried
    Mazda3 sold

Argyll Andy
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by Argyll Andy » Sat May 06, 2023 9:46 am

Pondrew wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 10:26 pm
    Argyll Andy wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 10:11 pm It’s finding that “acceptable” level that takes a bit of adjusting to
    I really want to refurb the wheels on the Mini (as they are pis*ing me off) but I'm holding out as she will no doubt ruin them.
    My daughter got all the way through learning alloys intact, first day driving on her own, destroyed alloy and trye parking, still don’t know how she did it 🤷🏼‍♂️

You’ll get used to it, when you see the look on their face you learn just to ask “what is it this time……….”

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
      G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
      E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
      E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

Ole gits rule
      Lifer
      Lifer

Post by Ole gits rule » Sat May 06, 2023 10:09 am

Pondrew wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 10:26 pm
      If she's anything like my two daughters, ruined alloys will be the least of your worries, she could be like my lad, he's trashed a 135 and a 4 series with all the performance bits.
      M4 Vert in Yas Marina Blue
      2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

MikeyH
      Lifer
      Lifer

Post by MikeyH » Sat May 06, 2023 11:11 am

Reading this I seem to be quite lucky as neither of my children have shown any interest in wanting cars or learning to drive. :D :thumbsup:
      Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
      Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

N4LLY

Post by N4LLY » Sat May 06, 2023 11:32 am

Bloomin' heck lad ! :(

I was lucky, had a fund set aside to get my boy his first car (Did not tell him)
      Got a call from him out the blue, saying "Guess what, i just bought a car"
      So got myself a Z3

Daughter then sorted herself out :thumbsup:
      So i got the Z4

:D

2014 20 M sport Valencia Orange

pvr
      Legend
      Legend

Post by pvr » Sat May 06, 2023 11:40 am

MikeyH wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 11:11 am Reading this I seem to be quite lucky as neither of my children have shown any interest in wanting cars or learning to drive. :D :thumbsup:
      Not unexpected at 3 years old though :P
      Current:
      911-50 Black - unique spec
      X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
      Abarth 595 Comp.
      Golf Clipper - collectors item
      Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
      VW ID.3

Previous:
      Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
      Z4 3.0 Toledo

Ole gits rule
      Lifer
      Lifer

Post by Ole gits rule » Sat May 06, 2023 11:54 am

Youngest daughter drove her Swift into sparked car - totalled both, lesson learned for her although two speeding tickets in the last 6 months is teaching her a lesson, how she will cope when the drop the limit to 20 in Wales I have no idea, anyone want to buy a low mileage 2015 e class 250d cab.

I got a call from an insurance company once, accusing me of doing 104 around the M4/M5 interchange, was puzzled until they said you were in a Corsa - nope that my son, 17 and a brand new Corsa LTD Edition thing coming home from work, they had my contact number as he was away a lot due to work - rollocking handed out - didn't work, see below.

My sons 120 he lost in the snow, went up an embankment and hit a lamppost, thats was a 2016 car which was about 12 months old, he was 19 and bought the 4 series.

He then had someone side swipe him in his M4, pushed him into the opposite lane, car regained grip and then shot back onto the right side of the road, hit a high kerb and smashed into a wall 3 foot high, it was an absolute mess, luckily he was not hurt.

The other guy was pulling out of a junction and tried to say to was my lads fault, he soon got told he was 100% to blame by the plod who did a very quick look at the scene / cars.

Thankfully he had gap on both and they paid out instantly, he bought another 4 series but sold it six months later, now he drives clapped out vans thankfully.

The oldest daughter, nothing serious just always tapping stuff, every car she has just has dins n scrapes everywhere.

All 3 are good sorting stuff out mechanically though.

Kids and cars are an absolute shed load of worry when young and it don't stop
      2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

Ole gits rule
      Lifer
      Lifer

Post by Ole gits rule » Sat May 06, 2023 11:55 am

N4LLY wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 11:32 am Bloomin' heck lad ! :(

I was lucky, had a fund set aside to get my boy his first car (Did not tell him)
      Got a call from him out the blue, saying "Guess what, i just bought a car"
      So got myself a Z3

Daughter then sorted herself out :thumbsup:
      So i got the Z4

:D
      Lucky you - now started 3 funds for the grand kids cars - give my kids back the sh-t they gave me :rofl:

TitanTim
      Lifer
      Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Sun May 07, 2023 9:05 pm

Alright cars, I had a Cooper S in 2003 and ran it for 4 years, loved the supercharger whine, think they used a Chrysler engine back then. Only issue it had was water getting into a headlight relay which sent the electrics haywhire. Fitted a Union Jack on the roof after bird crap ate through the clear coat so was an easy option to fix. Only thing I never liked about it was the horrendous ride on the standard runflats, back breaking :)

Sold it privately to a young girl and then strangely 12 months later it had no MOT, nor the year after that so reckon it got written off.

Amazingly I paid I think it was £16800 new and sold it for 13k 4 years later so it held its value well.

Tim.