Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Modified Z4MR Cheltenham

First port of call for new members
Snakobs

Modified Z4MR Cheltenham

Post by Snakobs » Tue Apr 18, 2023 11:34 am

Morning All, been lurking since Feb 2022 and had forgotten to do a new user post! Based in an around Cheltenham & Bristol if anybody is local. Also I am stupid enough to daily drive my Z4MR and is my daily wagon (roof down is surprisingly practical) I will probably trigger many folk as I do not like standard cars and tend to tinker and reduce their value somewhat :wink:

2006 Z4M Roadster with 80 something on the clock, came from a F13 640i coupe so a completely different genre of car. Had a Z4 2 litre before in 2018 and swore I'd come back and get myself a Z4M as a keeper for life. For the price I believe they are seriously undervalued compared to E46 M3's. I would like to make the car ideal for road tripping Europe but also capable of lapping the Nurburgring. Anyway here are some snaps:
Z4 Collection photo 2.jpg
Z4 Collection photo 2.jpg (235.66 KiB) Viewed 665 times
Z4M Avatar V2.png
Z4M Avatar V2.png (2.75 MiB) Viewed 665 times
First modification was a custom 3” valved exhaust setup with a butterfly valve made by myself and a friend. Left side is for dailying, right side has an F80 M3 butterfly valve for ‘sporty’ drives and really creates the split personality and removes drone making it almost stock like on motorway stints. Uses the right pipe as a resonator when valve closed, overall extremely happy and the X-pipe gives an awesome howl.

Wired a membrane switch into the dash opposite the OEM sport button so looks discreet and can easily switch between the modes. Each to their own but I ditched the quad pipes as I think hey look too small. Also. What a PITA the underside of these are for access!
Exhuast WIP.jpg
Exhuast WIP.jpg (168.65 KiB) Viewed 665 times
Exhuast Welds.jpg
Exhuast Welds.jpg (111.48 KiB) Viewed 665 times
Exhaust Flap.jpg
Exhaust Flap.jpg (93.31 KiB) Viewed 665 times
Next up was removing the mushy gear knob 'slop' and making it more of a tactile experience with a positive engagement of gears. I dislike the standard illuminated M-knob and it was a little tatty so removed it and swapped in the CAE style shifter which I had laying in the garage unused. This bolts directly to the transmission tunnel metalwork and the linkage replaces the existing, resulting in a very firm knob (no puns please) with about 2mm of wiggle in neutral. It is definitely a controversial one this but I really like it so :thumbsup: I have recently re-trimmed all the inferior panels just need to re-fit them but here is the 'as is' status until then:
Shifter unfinished.jpg
Shifter unfinished.jpg (136.06 KiB) Viewed 665 times
The M Gauges are cool but they were the same as every other Z4M so I had to change them up, got some custom yellow gauge faces and had the fun and games of stripping the cluster and rebuilding. Actually one of my favourite mods as it makes the car feel special every time I drive it and is unique, I have a yellow accent theme rolling as it is in line with the long term plan for Zoe (That's what she's named). Gauges:
Yellow Guages WIP.jpg
Yellow Guages WIP.jpg (120.72 KiB) Viewed 665 times
Yellow Guages Complete.jpg
Yellow Guages Complete.jpg (123.56 KiB) Viewed 665 times
I recently fitted spacers to the car is sitting in the arches much more proportional that prior. All road legal for for MOT as tyre is within arch but it is mm perfect without getting myself in trouble. The front spacing is perfect width, the car was still on jack stands so the loading isn't correct -more on that shortly :wink: The rear spacing is near enough perfect but don't think I will roll the arches unless I go to 19's. The wheels are in desperate need of a refurb and acid wash but I want to swap them out to 8.5J front 9.5J rear so won't be investing in them. Anyway here are the spaced photos:
Spacers Front Wheel Square.jpg
Spacers Front Wheel Square.jpg (264.69 KiB) Viewed 665 times
Spacers rear wheel flush.jpg
Spacers rear wheel flush.jpg (295.44 KiB) Viewed 665 times
BC Racing RM series coilovers with adjustable top mounts are arriving in May and will be fitted plus corner weighting alignment to set up the geometry correctly and add some additional camber from factory. I cannot wait to remove the stock suspension replace with a proper set of coilovers as I think it will transform the ride. Fingers crossed :roll:

Other small mods not worth photographing:
  • Yellow seatbelts were installed as I like the colour yellow if you couldn't tell
  • Fitted factory wind diffuser, what a PITA removing roll over hoop covers is!
  • Painted V-Bar behind kidney grills as it was flaking
Mod's on their way and long term goal (in order of expected completion):
  • BC Coilovers as mentioned
  • M Performance big brake kit or K-Sport 8 piston callipers with floating discs..
  • Polybush underside of car
  • Vibratechnics engine mounts
  • Wheels have to go, anybody want 224M wheels to or px swap let me know
  • Rear diff rebuild or maybe change from 3.62 to 4.10
  • Roll cage & Bucket seats +Harnesses
  • Engine rebuild
  • Under body restoration & Re-Paint
Hopefully I am not instantly banned for modifying my Z4 :rofl:
Last edited by Snakobs on Wed May 10, 2023 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

plenty

New Member -Modified Z4MR Cheltenham

Post by plenty » Tue Apr 18, 2023 11:57 am

Very nice. You will be pleased with the BCs assuming you haven't gone too stiff on the spring rates. Along with a custom alignment, BCs changed my car from a cruiser that didn't enjoy being pushed to an equally-good cruiser that now rewards being hustled on the twisties.

Think this is the first CAE shifter I've seen fitted to a Z4M. I have a similar setup on another car and love it. Although a Storm Motorwerks knob and OEM linkage plus Royal Purple gear oil delivers a really positive shift on my Z4M so I don't feel a need to change it.

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Tue Apr 18, 2023 12:35 pm

Epic....! :thumbsup:
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

Snakobs

Post by Snakobs » Tue Apr 18, 2023 1:21 pm

plenty, I have gone 6kg front 10Kg rear. Yeah the stock suspension and alignment is too 'fidgety' and never feels settled enough for me to feel comfortable pushing on. The BC setup with adjustable damping should be better, I am going to aim for A/B road damping to attempt to copy that of an Alpina B4.

Looked into the storm knob and although it is heaver I don't like the lateral movement in gear and how much you can see it flex under load. With upcoming track use and hill climbs, sat in a bucket and harness I like having the shifter closer to the wheel. The clunk you get from metal on metal engagement is what sold it to me, that and I had it sitting spare so better put it to use! I am also in the works of making a custom gated aluminium plate to mimic the Audi R8 style and remove the leather shifter boot. Here is the shifter before I installed it:
Shifter Pre Install.jpg
Shifter Pre Install.jpg (103.92 KiB) Viewed 627 times
I need to work out how to upload videos to here as I've some of the shifter and some of the exhaust valve open WOT :evil:

Snakobs

Post by Snakobs » Tue Apr 18, 2023 1:28 pm

john-e89, Thanks John, appreciate the warm welcome

plenty

Post by plenty » Tue Apr 18, 2023 1:29 pm

6 kgs F / 10 kgs R is exactly what I have, although I have the cheaper non-inverted BR dampers so your setup is a step up from mine.

I think I could go slightly stiffer at the front although 10 kgs rear is perfect IMO.

I do 100% road. For track or hillclimbing a CAE style shifter is for sure ideal.

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Tue Apr 18, 2023 1:56 pm

Snakobs wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 1:28 pm john-e89, Thanks John, appreciate the warm welcome
No idea if you've had some before Snak, but those vibratech mounts are worth every penny imho, they've made 1st to 2nd shifts the same as any other gear, no vibration either, superb mounts. :thumbsup:
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

Snakobs

Post by Snakobs » Tue Apr 18, 2023 2:16 pm

john-e89, Appreciate the advice, will move them up the priority list! I had read they vibrate at idle but were fine once on the move, and this outweighed the idle vibration. I will take an owners review over anything else and only 200 quid for the pair

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Tue Apr 18, 2023 2:35 pm

Snakobs wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 2:16 pm john-e89, Appreciate the advice, will move them up the priority list! I had read they vibrate at idle but were fine once on the move, and this outweighed the idle vibration. I will take an owners review over anything else and only 200 quid for the pair
I get a slight noise at idle after start up that disappears after a minute or so, no physical vibration at all, and nothing at all once you've driven a mile or so.

Really like the sound of that gear change you've got too, will look into this if I don't sell my red M.
MR2 MK 2
E89 35is
G29

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Tue Apr 18, 2023 3:04 pm

Great looking ///MR enjoy your projects and welcome on board. 8) :thumbsup:

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Post by B21 » Tue Apr 18, 2023 3:11 pm

Splendid..welcome..it’s great when folks give their cars serious luvvvv :thumbsup:
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard..

Snakobs

Post by Snakobs » Tue Apr 18, 2023 3:45 pm

john-e89 wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 2:35 pm Really like the sound of that gear change you've got too, will look into this if I don't sell my red M.
Check out this video, not my video but it's an E92 with the same shifter and sound. The only slight difference is this has the lock out reverse which I didn't go for as I don't like the cable running up the shaft and prefer the cleaner look. I also had to figure out the sound deadening and emissions sealant -took some finessing as after initial install I could see the tarmac and prop shaft spinning whilst driving!

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/fm7gMJ-VJLQ

If I am being honest I wouldn't recommend it for a daily as it is extremely heavy to use in town traffic. I did it and I love it but you will be cutting your tunnel in irreversible ways to allow clearance and is horrible low rpm and speed. However at 'above average' speeds it clicks through the gears with absolute certainty. The Mrs physically couldn't get it into reverse pulling 2 handed from the passenger seat and leaning her body weight so not for the faint hearted!! :fuelfire:

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Tue Apr 18, 2023 5:40 pm

Welcome to the forum with your MR. :thumbsup:

Some great mods already and more already planned - sounds like a lovely project.

I don't think there are too many Ms that are totally standard!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

1536Z4

Post by 1536Z4 » Wed Apr 19, 2023 10:13 am

Snakobs wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 11:34 am got some custom yellow gauge faces
Hello and welcome . I have just ordered some custom gauges myself so should be ready in a couple of weeks . Nice work on the exhaust all looking good :thumbsup:
Montego Blue E86 . MILV`s . Simpson Custom Manifold Race Exhaust . xHP transmission stage 3 . VT engine mounts . BC RA coilovers . H&R arbs . Adjustable rear camber arms . Ultra Racing front strut brace . Drexler LSD .

Snakobs

Modified Z4MR Cheltenham

Post by Snakobs » Wed May 10, 2023 10:00 am

To Pick up where I left off.. BC coilovers and more goodies are fitted. The BC's have completely transformed the car and I am blown away with how much better the car deal with a B road bash, recently took it to Caffeine and Machine and it was a joy where as before it was a little sketchy. Anyway whilst apart the car asked very nicely for a set of Hardrace camber arms as the old ones were desperate.

The overall surface rust and condition of underside does completely stress me out and the underside will need a full renovation and underseal before I can rest easy.. :headbang: I will have to get some Lanoguard on order and make a proper project of it with dry icing the underside etc! Think that the underbody restoration may jump priority but the new parts are fitted until I get to that. Hardrace camber arms and BC's fitted:
BC Coilovers 2.jpg
BC Coilovers 2.jpg (77.92 KiB) Viewed 423 times
Z4 Hardrace Arms.png
Z4 Hardrace Arms.png (211.95 KiB) Viewed 423 times
Hardrace & BC Fitted Underside.jpg
Hardrace & BC Fitted Underside.jpg (136.28 KiB) Viewed 423 times
The alignment was next, string method of course, 1.5 degrees camber on front and 2.5 degrees on rear. I tried more on the front but was too grabby for daily driving. Ride height is at the limit of dailying as well bordering on scraping but getting away with it:
Z4 Alignment.jpg
Z4 Alignment.jpg (58.81 KiB) Viewed 417 times
BC Front Height.jpg
BC Front Height.jpg (82.16 KiB) Viewed 423 times
BC Rear Height.jpg
BC Rear Height.jpg (79.29 KiB) Viewed 423 times
Also spray painted the silver door card pulls as I didn't like them, nothing more to say on that haha :rofl:
Z4 Door Grabs.jpg
Z4 Door Grabs.jpg (278.81 KiB) Viewed 423 times
Test fitted the 3D printed boost gauge mount (a sneak peak at ling term plans with this car).. nothing more to be said on this till I decide supercharger or turbo.
Z4 Test 3D Printed Boost Guage.jpg
Z4 Test 3D Printed Boost Guage.jpg (235.55 KiB) Viewed 423 times
Finally fitted a fire extinguisher, I know I did a seperate post on this but foe the sake of cleanliness I like keeping it all on one thread for my own sanity if nothing else 8)
Z4 Fire Extinguisher.jpeg
Z4 Fire Extinguisher.jpeg (176.38 KiB) Viewed 423 times