Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Topping-up water in a sealed battery

How-To articles are in here. Please use sub-forum for requests
dreaming-of-driving

Post by dreaming-of-driving » Wed Apr 19, 2023 4:55 am

here we go ... 6 cells. like taking candy from a woker.
screencapture-yuasabatteries-au-resources-battery-finder-product-battery-55d23l-mf-info-2023-04-19-13_53_33.png
screencapture-yuasabatteries-au-resources-battery-finder-product-battery-55d23l-mf-info-2023-04-19-13_53_33.png (257.54 KiB) Viewed 755 times

dreaming-of-driving

Post by dreaming-of-driving » Wed Apr 19, 2023 5:27 am

the only way I can fail in My mission now , is if there is a secret government conspiracy for my car to remain 0 velocity :P

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Wed Apr 19, 2023 10:51 am

You seriously replaced the wrong type of battery you had, with another wrong type battery?
cce.png
cce.png (510.09 KiB) Viewed 736 times
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

dreaming-of-driving

Post by dreaming-of-driving » Wed Apr 19, 2023 11:04 am

youll all be eating humble pies when my " custom paint graffiti style, 2003 Z4 2.5L with genuine ESS Tuning twin screw supercharger " roars to life once more !

btw, I dont even need to measure anything out - the cells correspond to some subtle indentations on the outside of the battery

this will be like taking candy from an unconscious woker :)

dreaming-of-driving

Post by dreaming-of-driving » Thu Apr 20, 2023 3:48 am

The battery voltage reads at 12.2V now on the multimeter, but the window display on the battery still indicates that it's in the uncharged condition. I think that might mean it's still sulphated.

If the battery still won't work after some more charging, I'll try adding hydrochloric acid, which should react with lead sulphate on the lead plates to clean them up:
AcroRd32_7iw2Fekk1d.png
AcroRd32_7iw2Fekk1d.png (10.99 KiB) Viewed 712 times
Failing that, I could even drain out all the sulphuric acid, use hydrochloric to clean the plates fully, then add the sulphuric back or just add some new clean acid in.

Even if the lead chloride still formed on the plates and impaired their function, I bet you could mechanically clean it off to get newish plates. That of course is a more serious operation under general anaesthetic.

You could make a battery last 20 years or longer by doing this procedure periodically ! I challenge anyone here to find fault with my logic :lol:

deltasierra

Post by deltasierra » Thu Apr 20, 2023 7:31 am

Lots of crap in this thread, a 12v battery has 6 cells, a good quality battery will last 5 yrs on average, maybe 7 if you’re lucky, but some fail very early I had one fail at 6 months (one cell failed). 2 things kill a battery, continual overcharging and allowing it to stand discharged, if you don’t use the car in winter take the battery off and charge it periodically

Dont try to fill a sealed battery it will overflow and spill acid into the car, a battery with removable cell caps you will see fiber separators between the lead plates the correct level is to just cover the separators

dreaming-of-driving

Post by dreaming-of-driving » Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:41 am

sounds like a loser attitude you guys have. to just give up and fork out cash. when you could follow My advice, and if everyone did that, we'd only need to manufacture a fraction of the number of batteries we currently do. prove Me wrong, using science. oh yeah... you cant !

Matty_Z4

Post by Matty_Z4 » Sun Apr 23, 2023 2:31 pm

dreaming-of-driving wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 4:10 am back to topic a bit. I guess the batteries always have 8 cells ? if so it shouldn't be too hard to guesstimate where they are and drill holes for them

I know , I know , I'm a genius guy :D
So what happened then, did you film it or did everyone here scare you away :P

I like the paint job BTW its not really for me im more of a subtle gold metallic flake kinda guy (is that too 1999 these days) .But your car is loud and distinct and defiantly turns heads. Love the fact that your repping for Scotland in the rear right bumper. I just hope you have a 3.0 in there somewhere with a phat turbo/supercharger and at least 300bhp if not 500+ For something that loud it best have an engine to back it up :P

Disclaimer: the above post is tongue in cheek and is not meant to cause offence.
2005 E85 3.0i

dreaming-of-driving

Post by dreaming-of-driving » Sun Apr 23, 2023 2:42 pm

hey :) it only charges up to 12.2V although it's enough to get the engine up and running most of the time, but it's still unrealiable

I'm assuming you can guess that the car is loud since the muffler has been deleted ? :P

Matty_Z4

Post by Matty_Z4 » Sun Apr 23, 2023 2:52 pm

dreaming-of-driving wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 2:42 pm hey :) it only charges up to 12.2V although it's enough to get the engine up and running most of the time, but it's still unrealiable

I'm assuming you can guess that the car is loud since the muffler has been deleted ? :P
Well that's a positive, still not sure your saving much but at least its a fun experiment.

I didn't see the back box delete but I was using the word Loud in the British english sense to mean something with very bold colours and strong patterns that demands attention. Apparently it can be a positive and negative thing depending on how it is said.
2005 E85 3.0i

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Post by B21 » Sun Apr 23, 2023 6:46 pm

dreaming-of-driving wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:41 am sounds like a loser attitude you guys have. to just give up and fork out cash. when you could follow My advice, and if everyone did that, we'd only need to manufacture a fraction of the number of batteries we currently do. prove Me wrong, using science. oh yeah... you cant !
FWIW your idea of Hydrochloric acid is a load of old bollocks..it replaces a suphated plate set with a cloride-ed plate set that is equally or even worse as a solution..(pun) :thumbsdown:

That's science..and a fact... :thumbsup:
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

dreaming-of-driving

Post by dreaming-of-driving » Mon Apr 24, 2023 1:49 am

maybe .. it's possible, or also possible that the lead chloride particles fall away from the electrodes as they form. I might try cycles of HCl washing and flushing with water, then put plain acid in there. that would give something resembling a new battery

dreaming-of-driving

Post by dreaming-of-driving » Mon Apr 24, 2023 1:50 am

Matty_Z4 wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 2:52 pm
dreaming-of-driving wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 2:42 pm hey :) it only charges up to 12.2V although it's enough to get the engine up and running most of the time, but it's still unrealiable

Well that's a positive, still not sure your saving much but at least its a fun experiment.

I didn't see the back box delete but I was using the word Loud in the British english sense to mean something with very bold colours and strong patterns that demands attention. Apparently it can be a positive and negative thing depending on how it is said.
ah yes I'm in AU and we use ' loud ' the same way here