Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Advice on which Z4 model to get

First port of call for new members
ManchesterMark

Post by ManchesterMark » Sun Apr 16, 2023 6:33 pm

Hi All,
I’m in the UK and have been looking for a new (second hand) car that looks good and is a bit of fun and I’m thinking that a Z4 would be ideal. I’ve got about 12k to spend. In terms of model, colour and options I would very much appreciate any advice from current owners from their experience as to what to look for/avoid. Thanks, Mark.

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Sun Apr 16, 2023 6:46 pm

Hello.
Do you want a convertible, or coupe?
Do you want a first generation E85/6 (2003-2009) soft top convertible or tintop coupe; or a second generation E89 (2009-2016), hard top convertible?

For £12k you should get an exceptional E85 or 86, or a good fairly early E89 (2 litre 4 pot or 2.5/3 litre 6 pot.

There is a lot of choice of models, so depends what you require really! :thumbsup:
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

ManchesterMark

Post by ManchesterMark » Sun Apr 16, 2023 7:06 pm

I was looking at the E89 hard top convertible. There’s a mix of 1.8s and 2.0 in my price range I can see. I was erring on the 2.0 but is the 1.8 still quite punchy - there seems to be a few of those about - or go for an older six cylinder? Is the manual a better drive or is the auto responsive (I’m used to DSG on VWs which seems quick changing).

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Sun Apr 16, 2023 7:25 pm

I have an 18i E89. They are exactly the same engine as the 20i and 28i just strangled by the factory engine map. Standard an 18i, and to a lesser extent the 20i, are underpowered. However, for a very modest fee (around £300) they can be very safely remapped to give a very good car.
Without the remap, I don't think I would have kept ours, but it is a totally different animal now. We are talking 270bhp and 430nm torque and it's very safe, as the N20 engine was designed for a nominal 245bhp and 400nm (as in the 28i).

The only difference as factory standard with an 18i over the others, is you get manual a/c not 'very basic climate control'.

Admittedly I am biased, but for me the smart money buys a well-specced 18i (everything was an extra so specs are all different) as they are cheaper for a comparable car and get it mapped. Win win!

The 4 pot E89s use the ZF 8 speed torque converter gearbox. Mine is a manual E89 but had a 4 series with the ZF8. Both are good depending on your preference IMO. I think the older 6 pot cars had the ZF6 gearbox, which I also had in an Alpina. Nowhere near as good as the 8 speed. Others with autos will give better advice, on the Z4 gearboxes!
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

ManchesterMark

Post by ManchesterMark » Sun Apr 16, 2023 9:18 pm

Thanks Pondrew, that’s just the sort of advice I was after. Thanks for taking the time to give me your perspective. I’m really looking forward to handing my lease car back at the end of the month and getting a Z4. I’ll also look into the remapping of the N20. Mark.

Chippie

Post by Chippie » Sun Apr 16, 2023 9:56 pm

ManchesterMark wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 9:18 pm (I’m used to DSG on VWs which seems quick changing).
The 35i(option)and 35is have DSG boxes, a different kettle of fish though and probably over your budget.
I’ve not driven the automatic but from what I’ve heard they are very good.
E89 35is space grey Kansas coral red leather

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Sun Apr 16, 2023 10:03 pm

I'd take a 3.0i E85/6 over an E89 4-banger any day of the week, but then I'm a bit biased.
The E89 is for women and old men who prefer comfort over sportiness. The E85/6 will reward you with a better driving experience and is much more becoming of a true roadster/sport coupe.
And don't even get me started on the G29. (just a slightly less lardy 4 series cabrio with a few more toys and questionable styling :fuelfire: )

For 12k you could even be looking at higher mileage Z4M E85's. A league apart and a massive step up over the 3.0i E85.
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Post by B21 » Sun Apr 16, 2023 10:36 pm

Welcome ….

You will get n factorial views on this where n is a large positive integer..

I had a 20i MSport Auto…a re-map transformed it (make sure you use a quality supplier and ideally use someone who does a before n after dyno)

That’s everyone’s view.

If it’s still on runflats tyres factor throwing them away…a majority viewpoint..

The auto box is fab…a majority viewpoint

Most people suggest getting one with heated seats..extended Bluetooth, idrive, middle range audio, parking sensors.. in some order..

Post 2014 20 litre cars avoid a potential cam chain issue..
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Sun Apr 16, 2023 11:51 pm

Chris_D wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 10:03 pm The E89 is for women and old men
Correct in my case. I am an old man and the E89 belongs to the wife.
You should ask for one for your birthday. You seem to fall into both categories, at differing times. :poke: :lol:

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Mon Apr 17, 2023 12:10 am

Pondrew wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 11:51 pm
Chris_D wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 10:03 pm The E89 is for women and old men
Correct in my case. I am an old man and the E89 belongs to the wife.
You should ask for one for your birthday. You seem to fall into both categories, at differing times. :poke: :lol:
What I get up to on the weekend with a feather boa and a set of false teeth is purely my own affair Pondlife!
:x
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

jenniferlouise

Post by jenniferlouise » Mon Apr 17, 2023 8:13 am

Do it the female way… Buy an E89. Colour rules. And shiny things. Lots of them. Opening the bonnet just makes you messy. Happy driving. oh and apparently you have to have something called ‘E5’ put in it occasionally 🤷🏻 JL

(for removal of doubt, this is called irony, not to be confused with ironing, which I find men are actually good at) ♥️

ManchesterMark

Post by ManchesterMark » Mon Apr 17, 2023 11:37 am

The views are not THAT polarized - apart from the straight six v 4 cyl. I’m still drawn to an E89. I did just read about the cam situation - and I had that done on a 16v Golf I had a while ago which wasn’t inexpensive so ideally I’m looking 2015 for that (and more money up front) to be not an issue on the N20 or find one that’s had the cam replaced. Sounds like auto is a good option though.

B21
Lifer
Lifer

Post by B21 » Mon Apr 17, 2023 11:53 am

ManchesterMark wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 11:37 am The views are not THAT polarized - apart from the straight six v 4 cyl. I’m still drawn to an E89. I did just read about the cam situation - and I had that done on a 16v Golf I had a while ago which wasn’t inexpensive so ideally I’m looking 2015 for that (and more money up front) to be not an issue on the N20 or find one that’s had the cam replaced. Sounds like auto is a good option though.

The camchain and oil pump drive can be swapped out for about £1k so if you factor that in you may improve your selection options
:thumbsup:
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Mon Apr 17, 2023 12:11 pm

It's worth mentioning that the camchain 'issues' on the early N20 are to do with wear on the plastic guides. Higher miles = more wear.
75k miles seems to be a minimum of when they start to wear out, so lower mileage shouldn't put you off an earlier one IMHO.
It's also worth mentioning that in over 2 years on this forum, I haven't heard of any failures of the guides. Not one.

If you only look at newer cars, either your budget will rise, or the mileage, or the quality of car will fall.

The N20 isn't like the N54 twin turbo engine which are a case of 'when something expensive is going to break, not if'.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

B21
Lifer
Lifer

Post by B21 » Mon Apr 17, 2023 12:26 pm

Just to expand I know of 4 E89 N20s with noisy cam chains where the owners off loaded them in a hurry..plus 3 that failed terminally… :tumbleweed:

Pondrew has a Fens centric view of the world :poke: :rofl: