Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Thread locker on wheel bolts

Alloy wheels and tyre discussion

Views on using liquid Thread Locker (TL) on wheel bolts

Poll ended at Fri Jun 30, 2023 11:59 pm

Never thought about or have bothered with TL, just tighten up with a wheel brace to what I think’s right
24%
Use a torque wrench set to 120 Nm, never use TL
46%
It’s totally wrong to use TL on wheel bolts, period, so only use wheel brace or Torque Wrench
27%
Used TL before, don’t bother anymore
No votes
I use TL now for peace of mind with a wheel brace
No votes
I use TL now for peace of mind with a Torque Wrench set to 120 Nm
3%

Total votes: 37

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Fri Apr 14, 2023 9:49 am

Chris_D wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 11:06 pm
Pondrew wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:00 pm
Chris_D wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 9:55 pm There is absolutely NOTHING wrong however with a dab of copper grease/anti-sieze,
Oh there really is on wheel bolts matey.
Ah jesus mon, like what??
Greasy wheel bolts run in my family, from my granddad and probably his dad and granddad before him and there are no family anecdotes of anyone losing a wheel at speed or even getting a wobble on!
Before that I think wheels were made of wood by wheel-coopers! :lol:

The only maybe... and it's a BIG 'maybe' to using copper slip is the increased frequency that you should probably check you don't have one coming loose. Big deal. :roll:
You could put a small amount of copperslip or similar on the wheel bolts, nothing excessive. But you have to remember that this will reduce friction and therefore when you torque the bolts up they will turn further before your torque wrench clicks. This means there is more 'stretch' being applied to the bolts which could potentially compromise their strength.
However, as previously stated, the chance of anyone's home use torque wrench being anywhere within 20% accuracy are minimal unless they go along to their local tyre place on the day when the man turns up to calibrate their wrenches.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

PerryGunn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by PerryGunn » Fri Apr 14, 2023 10:56 am

enuff_zed wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 9:49 am However, as previously stated, the chance of anyone's home use torque wrench being anywhere within 20% accuracy are minimal unless they go along to their local tyre place on the day when the man turns up to calibrate their wrenches.
I know that in a commercial setting the recommendation is that TWs are recalibrated every few thousand cycles (or annually) but for home use people should find that a decent one (not a £5 chinesium e-bay special) will stay fairly close to factory calibration for much longer providing they completely loosen off the spring tensioner after every use - few people do this which is why they find that they've drifted a long way from calibration.

Oh, and the on-topic bit - no threadlocker or copper grease on wheel bolts (ever!)
Alpina Roadster S #320
* Quaife ATB LSD * StrongStrut Braces * Turner RTAB Limiters * Gap-Tech RCH+ *
* Intravee & KCA-420i * Mini 0806 * Cheetah C550 * Stubby *

BeeEmm

Post by BeeEmm » Fri Apr 14, 2023 2:07 pm

Sorry, I voted and misunderstood what Thread Locker is. I use Optimol Paste TA and have done for many years.
I used to have two boys and a girl. Now I have two Men and a Woman. :?