Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Rounded Bolt - Replacing Cam Position sensor on 3.0

nblu

Post by nblu » Mon Apr 03, 2023 4:35 pm

Hi everyone,
This is my first post on the forum, so apologies for asking for advice as my first post. I've got a 2009 E89 sDrive 3.0, which has 2AA0 and 2AA1 fault codes on the intake and exhaust position sensors.

The excellent advice on the forum helped me track down the solution, and I've managed to replace the exhaust side, but I can't remove the screw on the intake side. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I've tried penetrating oil, fluted bolt removers and hammering a socket on. But, with the position and limited, I've had trouble getting enough force to get anything to hold on. I'm at the point I'm tempted to give up and get someone to do it, but I thought I would ask on here first.

Thanks,
Nick
Current - Blue 2009 E89 sDrive 3.0, Sports Seats, Cruise Control and turbine alloys

smorris_12

Post by smorris_12 » Mon Apr 03, 2023 5:02 pm

Odd. Not a high torque bolt so can't imagine it would be hard to shift. Was it that the corners had been taken off the bold head and a 12pt socket wouldn't grip it (usual solution find a proper 6-sided hex socket but probably too late for that.)

If you don't mind destroying the sensor the breaking the mounting tag out from underneath the bolthead should either release tension or give you something to grab with mole grips etc.

At worst to be able to get serious tools at it, and I'm basing this on where they are on my E85 in relation to the body, either loosening the engine mounts and jacking the engine up or removing the radiators (air-con one is a pain to deal with of course.)
------
Scott

Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?

2006 Z4 2.5si Silbergrau und rot

nblu

Post by nblu » Mon Apr 03, 2023 5:28 pm

Thanks for the advice. I’ve got the sensor off and I’ll see if I can get some mole grips on to get the rest off. I already had the replacement but I didn’t want to mess this up any more. I confess it was my fault as I didn’t have my E6 on straight.

I’ve added a photo of my progress.

Thanks,
Nick
Attachments
6D054F85-A8B2-4B5E-AFDC-55C69B44861F.jpeg
6D054F85-A8B2-4B5E-AFDC-55C69B44861F.jpeg (142.43 KiB) Viewed 835 times
Current - Blue 2009 E89 sDrive 3.0, Sports Seats, Cruise Control and turbine alloys

smorris_12

Post by smorris_12 » Mon Apr 03, 2023 5:54 pm

Ah, I was confusing the solenoids with the sensors (they're M6 hex head bolts.) Not played with those yet so not quite sure where they are in relation to everything. Looks like the metal collar from the sensor is still under the bolt head. That might be keeping the bolt in tension.

Otherwise, if there's nothing plastic too close, then a bit of heat from a blowtorch works wonders with things.
------
Scott

nblu

Post by nblu » Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:04 pm

I've added more penetrating oil to soak in; I'll try applying heat afterwards.

The photo shows the inlet side of the N52 from the front. The Vanos solenoids are on the left with rusty bolts.

This should have been a 10-minute job. On the bright side, I've had the car since new, and this is the first time I've got my hands dirty. So it has been a great learning experience...

Thanks,
Nick

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:56 pm

How's it got so corroded, been in a flood?
My N52 engine like new, 14 years old next month.

nblu

Post by nblu » Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:38 pm

flybobbie wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:56 pm How's it got so corroded, been in a flood?
My N52 engine like new, 14 years old next month.
I confess I fell out of love with it when I had a roof fault and was fed up with dealerships replacing the roof wiring and microswitches (twice so far). I also had the dreaded leaking of the rear lights which damaged the roof.

I suspect the corrosion is due to not using and leaving it on the driveway 3 miles from the coast. I have had it under a cover for the last 12 months, and it was barely used in the previous five years. It has done 63k miles, and 40k of those were in the first four years. These engines really need to be used to keep them at their best.

I had been considering selling it, but I would love to get it running smoothly again. The cam sensor is the only issue stopping me from using it, as it is causing an engine warning light which I understand is an MOT failure these days. Once I have that sensor out it is getting a full service and possibly a few upgrades (I'm tempted by the hifimax display as I don't have iDrive).

I've attached a photo of it from many moons ago. I know the turbine alloys are an unusual choice and it used to be in your neck of the woods so you might have seen it.

Thanks,
Nick
Attachments
IMG_0065.jpeg
IMG_0065.jpeg (175.5 KiB) Viewed 791 times

javis20

Post by javis20 » Tue Apr 04, 2023 2:27 am

While your there, you might want to pull the two vanos solenoids. Clean them up and reoil and cycle with 12 volts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0594cw9KbE

nblu

Post by nblu » Tue Apr 04, 2023 8:26 am

javis20 wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 2:27 am While your there, you might want to pull the two vanos solenoids. Clean them up and reoil and cycle with 12 volts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0594cw9KbE
Thanks, that’s on my list, I’ll replace the bolts at the same time. Sensors are the priority followed by the vanos, replacing the spark plugs and oil change. I had been considering doing an engine flush but I’ve seen mixed opinions on the success.

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Wed Apr 05, 2023 6:15 pm

Perhaps a Dremel tool to cut away the metal insert to relieve pressure on screw.
Would also give slightly better grip.
Also on cold engine try kettle of boiling water to expand the aluminium around the screw.
Keep mole grip on screw to act as a heat sink.

nblu

Post by nblu » Fri Apr 14, 2023 4:03 pm

Thanks for the advice.

I've been away but am back to looking at the bolt again. I've been trying a bolt/stud extractor on it and ended up with this mess. I suspect the iron oxide corrosion has come from the metal sensor collar, as I can't explain where else it could have come from.
IMG_2788.jpeg
IMG_2788.jpeg (150.54 KiB) Viewed 655 times
I will try the kettle or blowtorch next; I'll keep the post updated in case anyone else has the same issue.

Thanks,
Nick

smorris_12

Post by smorris_12 » Fri Apr 14, 2023 6:54 pm

I'd say go straight for the blow torch. If that's not moving and it's looking like that there's got to be some deep seated corrosion there.
------
Scott

mcbutler

Post by mcbutler » Fri Apr 14, 2023 8:20 pm

nblu wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 4:03 pm Thanks for the advice.

I've been away but am back to looking at the bolt again. I've been trying a bolt/stud extractor on it and ended up with this mess. I suspect the iron oxide corrosion has come from the metal sensor collar, as I can't explain where else it could have come from.

IMG_2788.jpeg

I will try the kettle or blowtorch next; I'll keep the post updated in case anyone else has the same issue.

Thanks,
Nick
Yep thats a plan, heat it to cherry red if you can, let it cool and repeat a few times, but look out for any alloy compnents. Aluminium shows no sign of its heating and will just collapse and melt without warning
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Fri Apr 14, 2023 10:16 pm

nblu

Post by nblu » Sat Apr 15, 2023 11:20 am

srhutch wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 10:16 pm These might help

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/5-piece ... nsion-set/
I’ve tried a set from AB Tools but they didn’t bite into the bolt. It is hard to hammer anything on in the space. I confess they were cheap and probably that was part of the problem.
6pc 3/8" Drive Or Drill Bolt Extractor Wheel Lock Nut Remover Set 6mm - 12.7mm https://amzn.eu/d/9MRk7DN

Would the Irwin be much better?

Thanks,
Nick