Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Rounded Bolt - Replacing Cam Position sensor on 3.0

smorris_12

Post by smorris_12 » Sat Apr 15, 2023 1:22 pm

I've got a set of those and they struggle at the best of times. At the front of the engine, no chance.

I take it you've tried mole grips on it?
------
Scott

Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?

2006 Z4 2.5si Silbergrau und rot

nblu

Post by nblu » Mon Apr 17, 2023 5:28 pm

Thanks everyone. I have finally managed it after getting a decent quality set of pliers. Everything else I tired wouldn’t bite. I should have invested in them sooner.
IMG_2806.jpeg
IMG_2806.jpeg (201.04 KiB) Viewed 505 times
Lesson learned.

Thanks,
Nick
Current - Blue 2009 E89 sDrive 3.0, Sports Seats, Cruise Control and turbine alloys

smorris_12

Post by smorris_12 » Mon Apr 17, 2023 6:40 pm

That's a lifetime pair. Knipex make some serious gear.

Glad it's sorted!
------
Scott

Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?

2006 Z4 2.5si Silbergrau und rot

nblu

Post by nblu » Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:47 am

smorris_12 wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 6:40 pm That's a lifetime pair. Knipex make some serious gear.

Glad it's sorted!
Thanks, I thought it was the last thing to try before giving in and letting a professional look at it. For £27 it was much better than the cheap Draper set I had tried.

In case it is useful to others the new parts cleared my fault codes. I was getting 2aa0 intake cam position, 2aa1 exhaust cam position and 29ce misfire cylinder 2. The first two codes were fixed by the cam position sensors. The 29ce was fixed by replacing the ignition coil which was a very straightforward job.

The car is off to the MOT centre today, wish me luck...

Thanks,
Nick
Current - Blue 2009 E89 sDrive 3.0, Sports Seats, Cruise Control and turbine alloys

nblu

Post by nblu » Thu Apr 20, 2023 5:47 pm

Just a quick update, the car is back on the road. It failed its first mot on emissions as another coil pack was causing a misfire. Retest after replacing that pack and it’s all clean.

Looks like I’ll be looking at new rear shocks next as mine are corroded. I’ll be digging around the forums for recommendations next 😁

Thanks,
Nick

notke

Post by notke » Mon Aug 21, 2023 7:42 am

I needed a Frequency Inverters and I spent ages searching for one online. Eventually, I was pointed in the direction of asb-drives.eu. All their components can be found easily, and I liked the intuitive design of the website. On top of that, I was impressed with the speed and quality of the service, so I can confidently recommend the site.

colb

Post by colb » Mon Aug 21, 2023 8:20 am

If you had tried that bolt with an extractor socket before you mullered it to death I reckon it would have broke free. My recent exdperience with a stuck and rounded off Lambda Sensor was similar to your journey. Had to break off the top of the sensor to get the extractor socket on but it worked to crack off the sensor thread on the second pull with the breaker bar atteched to the socket. I now have two sets of extractor sockets in the toolbox small up to 19mm and a larger set that are sold as wheel nut removers, the 22mm in that set was used on the lambda sensor. Now if I come across any ruted seized in bolts these sockets will be the first way to go.
Z Shed Cymru member
1999 1.8 Z3
2003 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville 650
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?c ... source=url

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Mon Aug 21, 2023 8:41 am

Coil packs i would just replace the lot. I did at 80k miles.
My colleagues car lost a coil at 12k miles.