Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

New Wheels and TPMS

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Validwarlord

New Wheels and TPMS

Post by Validwarlord » Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:16 am

Morning All

I have just brought a set of 18" wheels to replace the set of 17" wheels I have on the car at the moment and my question is the 17" wheels have TMPS valves fitted but the 18" havent got them is it a good idea to swop over the TMPS valves to the new wheels or can I just code out TMPS system using Bimmercode when I have fitted the 18's?

Both sets of wheels have the dreaded run flats at the moment will change the tyres soon as the wallet allows me.

Hope that makes sense?

Thanks
Dave

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

New Wheels and TPMS

Post by B21 » Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:23 am

You can just leave the TPMS valves in situ until its time to change tyres..then throw them away..

If you have run flat monitor (early deflation warning system) it will not know that the TPMS valves are there..
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard..

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

New Wheels and TPMS

Post by Nictrix » Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:08 pm

Don't throw away the tpms valves. They can be reused later especially if your car has the system that uses them.
It will be a bit of a faff but if you are selling on your 17s get the valves swapped out for normal valves and have the tpms valves fitted to your new 18s.
Or if you are keeping the 17s buy a new set of tpms valves for your 18s. They will be about £130 for a set
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

B21
Lifer
Lifer

New Wheels and TPMS

Post by B21 » Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:20 pm

Oops misread..trouble with impaired eyesight..

Nitrix is correct..either new TPMS valves in 18" or transferred from 17"

The issue is that the battery in the valve does run down so if the car is old maybe fresh TPMS valves anyway?
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard..

Validwarlord

New Wheels and TPMS

Post by Validwarlord » Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:23 pm

B21 wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:20 pm Oops misread..trouble with impaired eyesight..

The issue is that the battery in the valve does run down so if the car is old maybe fresh TPMS valves anyway?
A silly question but can you change the batteries in the valves?

They must be very small?

I assume the dreaded Google will answer the question?

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

New Wheels and TPMS

Post by Nictrix » Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:27 pm

Validwarlord wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:23 pm
B21 wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:20 pm Oops misread..trouble with impaired eyesight..

A silly question but can you change the batteries in the valves?

They must be very small?

I assume the dreaded Google will answer the question?
There is more to the tpms valves than what you can visually see from the outside. There is a larger part to the valve which must include a sensor and a battery.
Not sure if the batteries can be changed would be a shame if you can't with the cost of the valves.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

Validwarlord

New Wheels and TPMS

Post by Validwarlord » Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:39 pm

Would anyone know the part number for the TMPS valves?

B21
Lifer
Lifer

New Wheels and TPMS

Post by B21 » Sat Apr 01, 2023 3:04 pm

The only service kit afaik is to change the rubber bits when you move the TPMS from one wheel or change tyres…battery is a sealed for life job..

Part number

Screw-in valve RDC

Validwarlord

New Wheels and TPMS

Post by Validwarlord » Mon May 22, 2023 5:10 pm

Hi All

Well at last got the new tyres put on the new wheels and fitted to the car today, I didnt have the TPMS sensors taken off the old set so of course now the Tyre Sensor System has picked up there is no data which it would as there are no senders in the new wheels.

Can the TPMS be coded from the cars system which in turn will get rid of the Yellow Warning Triangle?

I have checked Bimmercode but there doesnt seem to be an opition unless its hidden in the Expert Menu.

As always thanks in advance.

Dave

B21
Lifer
Lifer

New Wheels and TPMS

Post by B21 » Mon May 22, 2023 6:28 pm

Validwarlord wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 5:10 pm Hi All

Well at last got the new tyres put on the new wheels and fitted to the car today, I didnt have the TPMS sensors taken off the old set so of course now the Tyre Sensor System has picked up there is no data which it would as there are no senders in the new wheels.

Can the TPMS be coded from the cars system which in turn will get rid of the Yellow Warning Triangle?

I have checked Bimmercode but there doesnt seem to be an opition unless its hidden in the Expert Menu.

As always thanks in advance.

Dave

Yes but you probably will need ISTA or Protool…

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

New Wheels and TPMS

Post by Pondrew » Mon May 22, 2023 8:00 pm

Validwarlord wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 5:10 pm Well at last got the new tyres put on the new wheels and fitted to the car today, I didnt have the TPMS sensors taken off the old set so of course now the Tyre Sensor System has picked up there is no data which it would as there are no senders in the new wheels.
Maybe a silly question but why didn't you just take the old sensors off and put them in the new wheels?
Or pay £90 for a new set of BMW sensors of the correct frequency?
Then the issues you have created wouldn't be there. :?
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

Validwarlord

New Wheels and TPMS

Post by Validwarlord » Mon May 22, 2023 9:37 pm

To be honest I thought I would be able to code the issue out, looks like a new set of sensors and get them fitted.

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

New Wheels and TPMS

Post by Pondrew » Tue May 23, 2023 12:01 am

Validwarlord wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 9:37 pm To be honest I thought I would be able to code the issue out, looks like a new set of sensors and get them fitted.
There is an ebay seller called "hondansr125rw" (I know strange motorbike name) who supplies genuine BMW sensors for a really good price. He is also really helpful and provides an excellent service. There is a thread on here about them, and him. I bought from him and they are the real thing.
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

Validwarlord

New Wheels and TPMS

Post by Validwarlord » Tue May 23, 2023 6:21 am

Hi Pondrew

Yes got a set on watch and doesnt live that far away from me so its a new set for me.

Do these need any sort of coding, although his listing does state the following:-

"Genuine BMW item so no need to programing. Car will catch them after couple miles."

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

New Wheels and TPMS

Post by Argyll Andy » Tue May 23, 2023 9:45 am

Validwarlord wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 6:21 am Hi Pondrew

Yes got a set on watch and doesnt live that far away from me so its a new set for me.

Do these need any sort of coding, although his listing does state the following:-

"Genuine BMW item so no need to programing. Car will catch them after couple miles."

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Morning, no coding required.

Guy was very helpful. I messaged him on a Sunday and he responded in 10 mins :thumbsup:

viewtopic.php?t=135874&hilit=TMPS

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)