Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

European driving - headlamp aim

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Jey

Post by Jey » Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:06 pm

So, I bought the Z4 to take over to Spain, and my journey begins Monday.... I am really looking forward to the drive, first to Portsmouth and the ferry, then onwards to Murcia with a few stops en-route. Im sure the drive will be better in the Z4 than the last car I took over there..

So, the one thing I haven't done yet is the headlamp aim, which I will attempt when I arrive (or the next day as I arrive in the morning and driving will-be light off)

I recall reading a post on here about there being a switch in the headlamps to switch to European driving - I cant find it now, anyone have the link or any information on switching over (incidentally, the beetle switchover was simple too) that would be appreciated.

I will share some pictures of the journey and let you guys know how it goes :D

J
E89 - s23i 2010 Saphire Black
18 inch alloys for comfort - Idrive, cruise, and lots of smiles per mile... :D

Silverstar

Post by Silverstar » Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:04 pm

Yes I did this when I imported my UK car into Spain. However if you are only on holiday there is no need to do anything. BMW UK told me that the E89 has a flat beam pattern and does not need adjusting to drive on the right. I think they are correct as having driven through France and Spain at night I never once had any problems.

The problem came when I was trying to register the car onto Spanish plates and the ITV (MOT) centre I took it to said that according to their machine the headlights were ever so slightly pointing to the left and I needed to change them. That is when I managed to find the switch, saying that I have since switched them back to drive on the left because in the previous setting the left side of the main beam was badly cut off.

I now take the car to a different ITV centre and have left the lights adjusted for the UK but have passed the test each time without any problems.
2009 sdrive30i auto Sapphire Black / Coral Red

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:07 pm

Silverstar wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:04 pm Yes I did this when I imported my UK car into Spain. However if you are only on holiday there is no need to do anything. BMW UK told me that the E89 has a flat beam pattern and does not need adjusting to drive on the right. I think they are correct as having driven through France and Spain at night I never once had any problems.

The problem came when I was trying to register the car onto Spanish plates and the ITV (MOT) centre I took it to said that according to their machine the headlights were ever so slightly pointing to the left and I needed to change them. That is when I managed to find the switch, saying that I have since switched them back to drive on the left because in the previous setting the left side of the main beam was badly cut off.

I now take the car to a different ITV centre and have left the lights adjusted for the UK but have passed the test each time without any problems.
Forgive me laughing, but that is the longest, most complete reply I've seen that doesn't tell him what he asked.
So you know where the switch is, but you're going to ransom the information. :D

(Meant light-heartedly btw)
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Silverstar

Post by Silverstar » Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:11 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:07 pm So you know where the switch is, but you're going to ransom the information.
That's got to be worth a try! :rofl:

Marcoose

Post by Marcoose » Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:15 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:07 pm (Meant light-heartedly btw)
Indeed, it doesn’t shed a light on OP’s problem.
2016 35is, monoballs, camber plates, KWV3, PS4S, xHP, MHD, LFB pedal, flat bottom wheel, red indicators, black headlamps

Jey

Post by Jey » Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:28 pm

You lot make me laugh - keeps me going... :rofl:

Any way, funnily enough I've located lots of posts on this including yours Silverstar (and thanks for the replay) , including those who couldn't find the switch. I had the same conversation over the beetle with the dealers, forums etc. So, ill drive over, its not a holiday the car will live-in Murcia or thereabouts for the remainder of its hopefully long life now, so will need an ITV. If it fails, I'll take a look at finding the switch (easily missed on the beetle if i didn't have the required determination) and see if I can sort out the ITV. The question is this, do I need to change both headlamps of just one? The beetle needed both lights adjusting

matsmith749

Post by matsmith749 » Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:31 pm

If you struggle with the ITV, try and get BBC.

I think the reception is better.
From Jan 2023 2016 e89 Z4 35is / mineral white / coral red interior / all the extras
SOLD 2010 e89 Z4 35is / space grey / coral red interior / all the extras
SOLD 2007 e85 Z4 3.0 si sport / midnight blue / champagne interior

Jey

Post by Jey » Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:33 pm

That is when I managed to find the switch, saying that I have since switched them back to drive on the left because in the previous setting the left side of the main beam was badly cut off.

I have this issue with the beetle, lights are no so poor we don't like to drive it at night so i get the changing it back. I may end up doing the same, assuming i can find the switch..

Jey

Post by Jey » Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:34 pm

matsmith749 wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:31 pm If you struggle with the ITV, try and get BBC.

I think the reception is better.
Hmm, sorry I'm a Netflix guy myself :)

Silverstar

Post by Silverstar » Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:27 pm

Yes you have to change both sides. To get to the switch it's a case of taking the wheels off and accessing the the back of the headlights and remove the xenon bulb too and then you will be able to see an arched shaped lever.

Just out of curiosity, have you checked how much it will cost to register onto Spanish plates? Importing from the UK has got pretty expensive since Brexit since now you have to pay 21% IVA (VAT) on the value or purchase price of the car on top of all the other costs. Back in 2019 when I did mine and did the registration process myself it still cost me around 1000€, I would think it would now be double or more. A little while back my mate looked at importing a Bentley Continental turns out it was going to cost him an extra 30,000€ after Brexit and before it would have been about 5000€

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:03 pm

No switches or levers on E89 lights.(I believe so on the E85).
I have had them apart.
The shutter has a step to blank out the other side of the road.
The are handed for L or R drive cars.
Look directly into lamp you will see the shutter.

Jey

Post by Jey » Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:19 pm

Silverstar wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:27 pm Yes you have to change both sides. To get to the switch it's a case of taking the wheels off and accessing the the back of the headlights and remove the xenon bulb too and then you will be able to see an arched shaped lever.

Just out of curiosity, have you checked how much it will cost to register onto Spanish plates? Importing from the UK has got pretty expensive since Brexit since now you have to pay 21% IVA (VAT) on the value or purchase price of the car on top of all the other costs. Back in 2019 when I did mine and did the registration process myself it still cost me around 1000€, I would think it would now be double or more. A little while back my mate looked at importing a Bentley Continental turns out it was going to cost him an extra 30,000€ after Brexit and before it would have been about 5000€
Yes, Ive already sorted out the matriculation, and to be honest could sort out the ITV too, however I’d rather sort out the lights. Took me An age to find the switch on the beetle, almost invisible but hey, perseverance. I’ll see how the ITV goes and take it from there. Thanks for the input..

Jey

Post by Jey » Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:23 pm

flybobbie wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:03 pm No switches or levers on E89 lights.(I believe so on the E85).
I have had them apart.
The shutter has a step to blank out the other side of the road.
The are handed for L or R drive cars.
Look directly into lamp you will see the shutter.
Hi, I’ve read your original post and I’ve noted you stripped the lights down and found nothing. Totally at odds with silver stars experience. I wonder are there more than one type of light - had a similar thing with the beetle, even the dealers said new lights needed. Yet hey, mine have a switch in each light. I’m hoping I don’t need to open them to check dependant on ITV but will take pic did if I do and share the outcome.

Christopher72

Post by Christopher72 » Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:41 pm

What the actual hell... That nonsense would make me remove that RHD steering mod. :poke:
Christopher
2011 E89 Sdrive35i - Deep Sea Blue, Beige Kansas Leather
'fits in progress - PDC, Cameras, Comfort Access, Respray/Correction - all queued for poor weather.
(9) E46 convertibles; (1) E39 540i; (2) E36 Z3 roadsters; (1) Pre-prod E36 Z3- all gone

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:59 pm

I assume the E85 has xenon, one for main, one for dip. So dip reflector could be rotated to offset the beam.
E89 has HID projector.