Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Relocated Roof Motor, still not working.

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Jas- USA

Post by Jas- USA » Tue May 23, 2023 1:52 am

Take the entire plastic housing off the pump so the emergency by-pass cable is no longer attached to pump. Afterwards, spray WD-40 on the brass/copper ball bearing and work it by hand in/out.

Maybe because of the pump being relocated to the trunk the emergency cable is somehow engaging the pump and releasing the pressure needed to move the top.

DMike

Post by DMike » Tue May 23, 2023 4:03 am

Jas- USA wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 1:52 am Take the entire plastic housing off the pump so the emergency by-pass cable is no longer attached to pump. Afterwards, spray WD-40 on the brass/copper ball bearing and work it by hand in/out.

Maybe because of the pump being relocated to the trunk the emergency cable is somehow engaging the pump and releasing the pressure needed to move the top.
This was what I had - had to slightly adjust the bowden cable turning the white thread on the cable cover. And also had to top up hydraulic fluid as the pump was relocated into a 45 deg angle.
2005 Z4 3.0i Sterling grey

Jas- USA

Post by Jas- USA » Tue May 23, 2023 3:10 pm

DMike wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 4:03 am
Jas- USA wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 1:52 am Take the entire plastic housing off the pump so the emergency by-pass cable is no longer attached to pump. Afterwards, spray WD-40 on the brass/copper ball bearing and work it by hand in/out.

This was what I had - had to slightly adjust the bowden cable turning the white thread on the cable cover. And also had to top up hydraulic fluid as the pump was relocated into a 45 deg angle.
Yea, I didn't know the O/P had keep the Black Plastic rig for the bowden cable attached to the Pump/Motor and now that it's relocated, the bowden cable might be somehow getting snagged in the top when coming down releasing all of the pressure need to move the top. Well, I hope this is the issue.

AlexP

Post by AlexP » Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:01 pm

I did exact this, for multiple days as well spraying and working it in/out, also I siphoned out the existing hydraulic fluid and filled it all the way to the top with new fluid, but again the problem still exists.
Jas- USA wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 3:10 pm Yea, I didn't know the O/P had keep the Black Plastic rig for the bowden cable attached to the Pump/Motor and now that it's relocated, the bowden cable might be somehow getting snagged in the top when coming down releasing all of the pressure need to move the top. Well, I hope this is the issue.
The Black plastic doesn't need to be screwed on to see if it actually works right? I have it unscrewed as we speak. I really don't know what else to try...should I just buy a new hydraulic pump just in case that may be the issue? Eliminating part by part?

If anyone on this forum who has done the job before is coming at all in summer to Cyprus for holiday and wants to make some money that would be amazing :D :D I feel like i am out of options. There is no one here(country-wide), not even the authorized bmw dealerships who know how to fix it, or at least diagnose it properly.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:09 pm

AlexP, the pumps tend to fail in one direction first.
I assume you have filled the reservoir right to the very top first, and that the level is not dropping?
You need to be sure of this as it is possible for one of the ports to be uncovered if not full right up and placed at an angle.

To test the pump, swap the pipes from side to side, making sure you keep 11/13 and 12/14 together.
Then also swap the electrical connections over.
If it is a weak pump then you may find it will go up better and not be so good going down (though gravity helps it that way)

You may also need to get a friend to help it up the first time or two as there will be air in the pipes that it needs to force out.

It would be helpful if you could prove it was the pump as it may then be possible to source one on its own, though they are quite hard to find.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:12 pm

Just thought of one final thing to check too.
The plastic rotor that fits on the motor spindle has a flat side that mates with the one on the motor spindle. There should be a small metal piece that wedges in there. If it is missing, the spindle will wear away the plastic and it won't spin. However, if yours still works ok in one direction I doubt it could be that.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

AlexP

Post by AlexP » Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:20 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:09 pm I assume you have filled the reservoir right to the very top first, and that the level is not dropping?
Yes i've filled the reservoir to the very top and the level has not dropped at all.
enuff_zed wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:09 pm To test the pump, swap the pipes from side to side, making sure you keep 11/13 and 12/14 together.
Sorry just to clarify, which pipes are we talking about? I have tried changing the electric connections either way and the motor was still running without any movement of the roof.
enuff_zed wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:12 pm The plastic rotor that fits on the motor spindle has a flat side that mates with the one on the motor spindle. There should be a small metal piece that wedges in there. If it is missing, the spindle will wear away the plastic and it won't spin. However, if yours still works ok in one direction I doubt it could be that.
I think i need to double check this, probably i could take a video and post it to give more insight in case I am missing something or I am assembling it incorrectly.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:59 pm

AlexP wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:20 pm Sorry just to clarify, which pipes are we talking about? I have tried changing the electric connections either way and the motor was still running without any movement of the roof.
The four pipes coming out of the pump head are in pairs.
Keep the pairs together but swap them over to the opposite ports in the pump head. This will mean the up and down are the opposite way round when the motor runs. You need to swap the electrical connections at the same time.
If you have already swapped the electric and not sure which way they should go, then swap the pipes first and see what happens. Then try swapping over the electrical leads as well.
Fingers crossed, you may find that the roof now goes up ok if it is a pump failing, as the stronger side will now be pushing the roof up.

DMike

Post by DMike » Fri Jun 09, 2023 7:47 pm

OP, did you solve the problem?
2005 Z4 3.0i Sterling grey

AlexP

Post by AlexP » Sat Jun 10, 2023 9:00 am

Not yet, I still need to try enuff_zed's suggestion, just been out of the country for work so once I get back this week ill give it another go.