Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Parking brake worn?

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
skmattwell

Parking brake worn?

Post by skmattwell » Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:46 pm

Had a full service and have been advised my parking brake is on the borderline of failing an mot. It should be holding a lot firmer. Have been advised to have the parking shoes replaced, but I thought these could instead be adjusted?

Is this wishful thinking on a car with 125,000 mikes or is it plausible I don't have to fork out? Seen as its an automatic it's not a huge deal to me.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Parking brake worn?

Post by enuff_zed » Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:48 pm

Well you'd need to start by getting the discs off and checking the shoes inside for wear.
It could just be that they're glazed, in which case a rough up with emery cloth, and the same to the inside of the drum, coupled with a tweak of the adjusters could essentially be a free fix.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

j3nks79

Parking brake worn?

Post by j3nks79 » Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:47 pm

A set of shoes is less than £30 and takes 45 mins to change.
Easy job done ✔️
2009 09 Carbon Black Cinnamon E86

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Parking brake worn?

Post by MikeyH » Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:51 pm

skmattwell wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:46 pm Had a full service and have been advised my parking brake is on the borderline of failing an mot. It should be holding a lot firmer. Have been advised to have the parking shoes replaced, but I thought these could instead be adjusted?

Is this wishful thinking on a car with 125,000 mikes or is it plausible I don't have to fork out? Seen as its an automatic it's not a huge deal to me.
That's a lot of Mikes for one car :rofl: :thumbsup:
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Parking brake worn?

Post by enuff_zed » Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:56 pm

MikeyH wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:51 pm
skmattwell wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:46 pm Had a full service and have been advised my parking brake is on the borderline of failing an mot. It should be holding a lot firmer. Have been advised to have the parking shoes replaced, but I thought these could instead be adjusted?

Yeah, but Mikes are known for being very short :D :D
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Parking brake worn?

Post by MikeyH » Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:02 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:56 pm
MikeyH wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:51 pm

Yeah, but Mikes are known for being very short :D :D
Very true :rofl: :thumbsup:
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.