Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Key Fob Battery Change

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
Validwarlord

Key Fob Battery Change

Post by Validwarlord » Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:42 am

Morning All

Got a key fob low battery icon on my 2015 Z4 yesterday so it could either need a charge or the battery in the key fob is on its way out, on checking the fobs they look like the original ones so likely the batteries are getting ready to be replaced.

So on reading up on this seems you have to gently cut around the key fob then ease it apart so you can get access to the PCB to remove the soldered battery, my soldering skills are good so no issue there.

Looking to replace the key fob housing instead of gluing the old one back together there are a load of replacement key fobs on E Bay has anyone brought from a seller whose products are good and fit perfectly into the ignition hole in the dash?

On to my next question does the key fob lose the memory when replacing the battery linked to locking/unlocking and starting the car?

I will be using an Anti-Static Mat with a wrist strap attached whilst doing the handling of the pcb etc.

Any thoughts and tips?

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Key Fob Battery Change

Post by flybobbie » Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:24 am

Simple job, don't need any mats.
Get the case and battery.
Cut open the old case. Replace battery. Fit inside new case.
Done.
Retains info.

Rucky

Key Fob Battery Change

Post by Rucky » Sun Mar 26, 2023 2:06 pm

Try this guy, hes quick and reliable
https://www.themasterlocksmith.com/prod ... pairs/bmw/
04 2.5i Titan silver - 1st Z4 now sold on
07 3.0si Silver Grey M Sport pak.
X5 and assorted motorbikes

Christopher72

Key Fob Battery Change

Post by Christopher72 » Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:13 am

And.. if you're cutting the keyfob apart, wear a hardy workglove to prevent accidentally cutting yourself. I'm er.. sharing a friend's experience :wink:

I've done the exercise as well for both of my keyfobs -- easy, just time and a few cheap ebay parts.
Christopher
2011 E89 Sdrive35i - Deep Sea Blue, Beige Kansas Leather
'fits in progress - PDC, Cameras, Comfort Access, Respray/Correction - all queued for poor weather.
(9) E46 convertibles; (1) E39 540i; (2) E36 Z3 roadsters; (1) Pre-prod E36 Z3- all gone