Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Roof not working

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Wenty69

Roof not working

Post by Wenty69 » Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:48 pm

I have had the usual problem with the roof not working due to a corroded motor on my 2004 Z4. Hubby has replaced the motor and hydrolic pipe but the roof still doesn't work. It unlatches at the front but won't go down. He says the motor can be heard so it is working. Does anyone have any suggestions.
Thank you

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Roof not working

Post by bigwinn » Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:02 pm

Where you based- there are roof experts in the 4 corners of the country
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

EWS Delete PM me
Coding- airbags etc PM me

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Roof not working

Post by enuff_zed » Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:16 pm

Hi, yes, I'm in Norfolk and happy to help if you're nearby.
If the motor is running and you are sure it's not leaking from the pipe he replaced, or anywhere else, then it's likely to be either:
1. The red lever was pulled and now the bypass is stuck open.
2. The hydraulic pump is on it's way out.
3. The oil level is too low - has he put it in the boot now? If so it may be at such an angle it is uncovering the inlet ports. Stand it upright and add jack oil until it spills out the top.
4. It could simply be air in the system. If it had a leak before air will have got in and it has to bleed itself. You may find if you give it a little push as it is running that after a couple of goes it will be fine. However, if this is the case you will likely need to top up the oil again once the air is out.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup: