Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Brake disc recommendations

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
skmattwell

Post by skmattwell » Thu Mar 23, 2023 1:17 pm

Looking for recommendations on discs, going to get all four done in the near future but am a bit of a noob when it comes to brakes (I only know how to accelerate :rofl: )

coldel

Post by coldel » Thu Mar 23, 2023 1:20 pm

Put your money into the pads not the discs, thats where the gain is at. Any decent branded discs will generally do the job i.e. pagid/brembo/epc etc.
Currently BMW Z4 E85 3.0si
Previously
BMW Z4 E86 3.0si
Vauxhall VX220 Turbo
Toyota Celica ST205 GT4
Nissan R33 Skyline GTST
Vauxhall VX220 NA
Nissan 350z

skmattwell

Post by skmattwell » Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:06 pm

It's not so much that they are performing poorly, more that they've seen 125,000 miles now and probably in need of a refresh

SqerrNipz

Post by SqerrNipz » Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:29 pm

Halfords still have pagid front discs for 3.0 at £19.90 each! I generally go for pagid stuff, decent quality and perfectly adequate for my ‘relaxed’ driving style… :lol:
Proud owner of ‘Xavier’ - Maldive blue, 2004 3.0 auto. Heated/electric msports, style 107’s, gravity performance exhaust, E46 330i brakes, custom heated steering wheel, custom carbon intake, lots of other tweaks!

plenty

Post by plenty » Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:54 pm

skmattwell wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:06 pm It's not so much that they are performing poorly, more that they've seen 125,000 miles now and probably in need of a refresh
What he means is that's much more difference between different types of pads than different discs. You can't really go wrong with discs as they're all just circular chunks of iron :D

skmattwell

Post by skmattwell » Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:36 pm

Has anyone had any experience with Mtec brake discs?

True-Blue
Lifer
Lifer

Post by True-Blue » Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:04 pm

skmattwell wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:36 pm Has anyone had any experience with Mtec brake discs?
They get mixed reviews, some love them and have no issues others complain of discs warping. Drilled and/or grooved discs are technically a ‘modification’ which should be declared on insurance, and which add cosmetically to an E85 but not much else.

Textar are/were a BMW O.E. Parts supplier and make excellent quality disks.
Alpina Roadster S Lux no. 204 (1 of 15 uk cars in Alpina Blue)

Previous Z4’s :E89 30i, E89 20i, E85 3.0Si (X4) E85 3.0i, E86 3.0 Si, E85 2.5si, E85 2.5i

skmattwell

Post by skmattwell » Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:27 pm

True-Blue wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:04 pm
skmattwell wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:36 pm Has anyone had any experience with Mtec brake discs?
They get mixed reviews, some love them and have no issues others complain of discs warping. Drilled and/or grooved discs are technically a ‘modification’ which should be declared on insurance, and which add cosmetically to an E85 but not much else.

Textar are/were a BMW O.E. Parts supplier and make excellent quality disks.
Trust me there's plenty of other things the insurance don't know about :rofl:

Think I might pass on them anyway

TheDan

Post by TheDan » Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:05 pm

I had a set of these all round and on a track day they warped somewhat rotten! I don't blame them though as they were really quite cheap and almost definitely were not intended for aggressive track day use. For everyday driving, they'd cope fine I reckon.

However, I would echo the first comment which is you can't go wrong with some decent OEM spec name brands such as Pagid, Brembo, Bosch, ATE.

3gGT01

Post by 3gGT01 » Tue Mar 28, 2023 2:10 pm

Just my 2 cents. First question would be whether you plan to track the car or not.

If tracking, drilled rotors always crack at the holes, no matter what brand I have used. If you do enough track events drilled will crack, you are better off with non-drilled rotors for track use. Also my favorite track pads for any of my track cars are CarboTech. I've tried a lot of different pads and these wear the best. Also if tracking good rotors make a differences. If not tracking I really like the look of drilled rotors and it probably won't make that much difference if you don't buy the highest quality rotors. I know that CarboTech does make Z4M pads, but I'm not planning to track my M, so I have not used the CarboTech pads on this particular car. I have not used CarboTech for street pads either, on any of my cars.

If I drive my track car on the street, I switch to my street pads as track pads tend to squeal for street use and depending on how aggressive of track pad they require a warm up to work properly on the street.

Do you have a specific plan to street or track your car?
2007 Z4MC Interlagos Blue Metallic w/Light Sepang Bronze Nappa interior. 'Emma'

mmm-five
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mmm-five » Tue Mar 28, 2023 2:19 pm

3gGT01 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 2:10 pm Just my 2 cents. First question would be whether you plan to track the car or not.

If tracking, drilled rotors always crack at the holes, no matter what brand I have used. If you do enough track events drilled will crack, you are better off with non-drilled rotors for track use. Also my favorite track pads for any of my track cars are CarboTech. I've tried a lot of different pads and these wear the best. Also if tracking good rotors make a differences. If not tracking I really like the look of drilled rotors and it probably won't make that much difference if you don't buy the highest quality rotors. I know that CarboTech does make Z4M pads, but I'm not planning to track my M, so I have not used the CarboTech pads on this particular car. I have not used CarboTech for street pads either, on any of my cars.

If I drive my track car on the street, I switch to my street pads as track pads tend to squeal for street use and depending on how aggressive of track pad they require a warm up to work properly on the street.

Only ever had squeal from one specific track pad in any car I've had, and that was Ferodo DS3000 in my AP-Racing calipers on my Corrado VR6. Although the standard BMW pads in my F31 320D with it's M-Sport brakes do squeal a little at random intervals (haven't spotted a pattern yet).

I've gone through the road & track ranges from EBC (stay away from Orangestuff unless you drive like a BTCC nutter) and Pagid in my Corrado, M5s and Z4MC but have not had any squealing...current facourite is RS29 (or RSL-29 as I think they're now called). They're very expensive, and I keep wanting to try some of the alternatives, but worried I'd end up regretting it if they don't suit my driving style :P
Trigger’s Z4MC
Some bits now over 163,000 miles, some less than 1,000 miles.
Individual Ruby Black, Individual extended champagne leather, plus many options

skmattwell

Post by skmattwell » Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:51 pm

3gGT01 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 2:10 pm Just my 2 cents. First question would be whether you plan to track the car or not.

Everyday driving is what I use mine for, but a track day is definitely not out of the question in future. So I guess I'm looking for something that can handle a bit of abuse without breaking the bank

3gGT01

Post by 3gGT01 » Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:06 pm

Sounds like you should go with stock or aftermarket rotors and pads, if you actually need rotors. Check and see how much of a lip there is on the edge of the rotor. If there isn't much of a lip, then keep your rotors and go for a set of street pads. I'm sure others on here can recommend the best inexpensive pads for your Z. I know the previous owner put a low dust pad on my Z and brand new OEM rotors all the way around. My rims are staying relatively clean with the low dust pads. I have not researched street pads for the Z, so I'm sure others will chime in.

Let us know what you decide to go with. :)
2007 Z4MC Interlagos Blue Metallic w/Light Sepang Bronze Nappa interior. 'Emma'

skmattwell

Post by skmattwell » Wed Mar 29, 2023 5:53 pm

3gGT01 wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:06 pm Sounds like you should go with stock or aftermarket rotors and pads, if you actually need rotors. Check and see how much of a lip there is on the edge of the rotor. If there isn't much of a lip, then keep your rotors and go for a set of street pads. I'm sure others on here can recommend the best inexpensive pads for your Z. I know the previous owner put a low dust pad on my Z and brand new OEM rotors all the way around. My rims are staying relatively clean with the low dust pads. I have not researched street pads for the Z, so I'm sure others will chime in.

Let us know what you decide to go with. :)
Have been looking at the mintex range, apparently good quality and very competitive pricing. Can get all 4 discs for less than £80

chemical.equal277

Post by chemical.equal277 » Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:34 pm

I’d just get something cheap, assuming you need it soon.

The 330 brake conversion is the best thing. Cheap brake upgrade, then get good discs and pads to complement

Edit. The 300mm upgrade should be better on second thoughts. PM me? I’ve got the brackets. Direct upgrade without need to change calliper