Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Roof motor relocate in Staffordshire - STUCK!

How-To articles are in here. Please use sub-forum for requests
thomobigands

Post by thomobigands » Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:29 pm

Roof motor relocate - Lichfield Staffordshire

Hi all.

Just picked up a 2008 Z4 and have tried (and failed) to relocate the roof motor to the boot. Just cant get the top of the plastic housing off. The motor has been replaced before apparently and it looks like whoever did it put gaffer tape on the joint of the housing. Have managed to get some of it off but perhaps not enough as it still wont budge.

Dont want to break anything so was wondering if anyone knew of any garages local to Lichfield - North Birmingham - who knows the job and how to finish it?

Thanks

Andy

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bigwinn » Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:31 pm

Happy to help but I’m in Lincoln
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

EWS Delete PM me
Coding- airbags etc PM me

Rockhopper

Post by Rockhopper » Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:53 pm

I think tape is the factory way of doing it.

thomobigands

Post by thomobigands » Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:02 pm

bigwinn wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:31 pm Happy to help but I’m in Lincoln
Thanks anyway!

thomobigands

Post by thomobigands » Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:05 pm

Rockhopper wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:53 pm I think tape is the factory way of doing it.
I have seen posts about black tape but this is silver gaffer tape. I also have the previous owner's invoice for replacing the motor. About £700 in 2016. Why did he not get them to relocate to the boot then I have no idea. Frustrating!

I am not bad at DIY but this one just has me stuck.

Am heading to the classic car show at the NEC on Saturday so there may be someone there who can give me some tips.

PDJ

Post by PDJ » Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:14 pm

It is all done blind you need to remove the tape

Can you slide a small screwdriver between the plastic body and the tape then working it off and pull the tape off the top so you end up with a ring of tape, then you will be onto the next struggle of getting the top off.

PDJ

Post by PDJ » Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:15 pm

Also a sharp blade and cut the tape and try pulling the tape off

thomobigands

Post by thomobigands » Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:48 pm

Quick update:

Have just been hanging out the boot again and the top cover is finally off! It was held with a ring of gaffer tape but has eventually given in.

I have snipped the obvious cable clip that you can see but the other two are slightly trickier. I am working on my side so can only get one hand in. I think if i get in the boot on my back as suggested the roof motor will be irrelevant as the firemen will have to cut the top of the car off to get me out!

How on earth do I know that I am feeling a cable clip and cutting it rather than an important cable though????

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bigwinn » Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:52 pm

Get the motor out of the lower cup

Once it’s our the way you can then use brute force easier on the plastic
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

EWS Delete PM me

thomobigands

Post by thomobigands » Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:56 pm

bigwinn wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:52 pm Get the motor out of the lower cup
It doesnt seem to want to allow me to lift it out though. Is it tethered by the cable clips?

bigwinn
Lifer
Lifer

Post by bigwinn » Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:50 pm

The hydraulic cables run around it and through a clip system on the outside of the cup

Keep pulling the motor up and out

EWS Delete PM me

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:09 pm

You can get a finger down the side and unclip the pipes from the plastic retainer.
But the pipes also run underneath the casing and back up the other side.
Once they are unclipped at the top you get a bit move wiggle room so then see if you can get the motor out and rested on the ledge, before trying to pull the lower casing up further and getting the pipes out from underneath it.
First one I ever did I was in a Whatsapp video call with bigwinn, teaching him a whole new language as he tried to talk me through it.
Sounds like you've found an awkward one.
If a dealer or indy replaces the motor they have to put it back in the same place or you get no warranty.
Why they insist on taping it all up like that I have no idea.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

thomobigands

Post by thomobigands » Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:14 pm

Thanks for the comments all.

I will have another go tomorrow and see if I can get the motor and lower housing out using the above tips.

thomobigands

Post by thomobigands » Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:46 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:09 pm You can get a finger down the side and unclip the pipes from the plastic retainer.
Just nipped out and had another go and this tip was great thanks. Motor is now resting on the ledge so hopefully with some more wiggling I can get the cables free from under the bottom casing - which seems to be solid and not budging. I tried brute force on the bottom casing by twisting in the hope it snapped free but nothing so far.

This seems to have turned into some form of Z4 owner initiation task that I want to see through now. I just hope I havent damaged anything in the process.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:12 pm

thomobigands wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:46 pm
enuff_zed wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:09 pm You can get a finger down the side and unclip the pipes from the plastic retainer.
Just nipped out and had another go and this tip was great thanks. Motor is now resting on the ledge so hopefully with some more wiggling I can get the cables free from under the bottom casing - which seems to be solid and not budging. I tried brute force on the bottom casing by twisting in the hope it snapped free but nothing so far.

This seems to have turned into some form of Z4 owner initiation task that I want to see through now. I just hope I havent damaged anything in the process.
You’re winning! See if you can lift the casing a bit and wiggle the pipes out from under it. As long as you’re not pulling on the pipes you can give the casing some welly and it should break the ties. Then lift it out carefully as I did one today and found the pipes were tywrapped to the casing as well.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.