Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Possible Sticky Brake Caliper?

2003 - 2009, roadster, coupe, facelift
QUIKSTER

Post by QUIKSTER » Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:01 pm

HI Peeps!

So I've been away for a couple of weeks and my E86 has been parked up outside on the drive (handbrake off).

Went out today for a drive and noticed that there is a wobble from the steering wheel when building up speed, so pulled over and noticed there was that smell that something is heating up, and the drivers side wheel was warm to touch.

Am I correct in thinking that leaving the car parked for a long period, and due to all the recent rain has caused the caliper to stick.

I always thought leaving the handbrake off would avoid such issues.

Well if it is the caliper can it just be cleaned up or is a new one the only option

What's a good OEM quality brand and where's the best place to source one, ie: GSF, ECP?

Rockhopper

Post by Rockhopper » Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:07 pm

The handbrake doesn’t use the calliper, it’s got its own shoes. Seized rear callipers are quite common and not hugely expensive to replace.

plenty

Post by plenty » Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:09 pm

Hot wheel means sticky caliper. Handbrake operates on rear wheels only, and doesn't use the caliper.

Rebuilding calipers is straightforward but equally they're cheap to buy new/remanufactured. I wouldn't worry about brand - a Z4 sliding caliper is a simple item.

QUIKSTER

Post by QUIKSTER » Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:17 pm

Thanks guys,
Just found a PAGID item for £107.54 at Carparts4less.
https://www.carparts4less.co.uk/brake-caliper
Also you think its Ok to drive 20 mins to my mechanic the way it is at the mo' without causing any further damage.

pilch

Post by pilch » Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:21 pm

Unlikely needs a caliper, I'd remove the slider pins, clean and regrease and same with the pads. More often than not it will be them causing the binding and not a caliper piston :thumbsup:

plenty

Post by plenty » Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:27 pm

QUIKSTER wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:17 pm Thanks guys,
Also you think its Ok to drive 20 mins to my mechanic the way it is at the mo' without causing any further damage.
£35 here. Won't be a problem driving a short distance. https://www.spareshut.com/products/bmw- ... tsQAvD_BwE
Unlikely needs a caliper, I'd remove the slider pins, clean and regrease and same with the pads. More often than not it will be them causing the binding and not a caliper piston :thumbsup:
Totally agree if OP was DIYing, especially as this would not require bleeding. But as he's taking it to a mechanic, might as well fit a new one straight away.

QUIKSTER

Post by QUIKSTER » Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:53 pm

:thumbsup:

Zedebee
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Zedebee » Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:23 pm

QUIKSTER wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:17 pm Thanks guys,
That’s offensive. Pagid calipers for E86 are available from Halfords (who are supplied by ECP, whose “discount” brand is Carpart4less) for £51.36, rears are £35.04. Others maybe cheaper, e.g. AUTODOC, but you may have to wait.
2003 Maldives Blue 3.0i auto
Previously: Maldives Blue 2.5i manual (its back!) and another, and a Monaco Blue 3.0Si coupe