Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Android Auto Coolwalk

Specific discussion about the E89 2009 Z4 (sDrive35is, sDrive35i, sDrive30i, sDrive23i)
AnubisZed

Android Auto Coolwalk

Post by AnubisZed » Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:54 am

For those of you with an MMI box attached to your iDrive system and are running Android Auto, I thought I'd share a few photos of the new Coolwalk screen and how it looks. Mine is runing through my Mr12volt box, so I'm not sure if it's supporting all mmi boxes yet.

I'm quite impressed with the new layout but it's a bit different in how it works so I'm getting used to it, alas I've not been out in it recently since it apperared on mine.
Attachments
IMG_2238.JPG
IMG_2238.JPG (91.27 KiB) Viewed 185 times
IMG_2237.JPG
IMG_2237.JPG (101.73 KiB) Viewed 185 times
IMG_2236.JPG
IMG_2236.JPG (98.04 KiB) Viewed 185 times
IMG_2235.JPG
IMG_2235.JPG (98.73 KiB) Viewed 185 times
IMG_2234.JPG
IMG_2234.JPG (97.07 KiB) Viewed 185 times
Dave
2011, 23i, Grey with Red leather. 8)

My E89 YouTube channel - BMW Z4 Mods
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCttNBt ... UQnoEvKB2Q

Christopher72

Android Auto Coolwalk

Post by Christopher72 » Sat Mar 18, 2023 3:10 pm

There's a lot of Love in those pictures Dave. :erm:
Can't wait to install mine, currently queued 4th in weekend project lists...
Christopher
2011 E89 Sdrive35i - Deep Sea Blue, Beige Kansas Leather
'fits in progress - PDC, Cameras, Comfort Access, Respray/Correction - all queued for poor weather.
(9) E46 convertibles; (1) E39 540i; (2) E36 Z3 roadsters; (1) Pre-prod E36 Z3- all gone

Silverstar

Android Auto Coolwalk

Post by Silverstar » Sat Mar 18, 2023 6:36 pm

The layout looks very similar to Apple Car Play.
2009 sdrive30i auto Sapphire Black / Coral Red

AnubisZed

Android Auto Coolwalk

Post by AnubisZed » Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:59 pm

Christopher72 wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 3:10 pm There's a lot of Love in those pictures Dave. :erm:
Can't wait to install mine, currently queued 4th in weekend project lists...
There's always love in my work :thumbsup:
Dave

AnubisZed

Android Auto Coolwalk

Post by AnubisZed » Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:10 pm

Silverstar wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 6:36 pm The layout looks very similar to Apple Car Play.
I've always prefered the look of Apple's CarPlay layout, but not that you can't skip from one section to another, instead you have to scroll all the way. With AA you can skip sections which is much easier, IMHO :thumbsup: For instance in the last picture above, if I had the play button highlighted (which is what I do all the time while driving anyway), if I wanted to go over to the menu button (multiple dots, far right, bottom one) then in CarPlay i'd have to scroll to the Skip Forward button, then onto the map and the Search button, then the Newark would be highlighted, then Work, then Settings, then it would go to the Google Map icon (on the side bar), then down to Apple Music, Phone, Hey Google and then finally onto the Menu option. Now with AA you simply flick to the right twice (Map and then right side bar) and scroll down, or if you'd been there previousley it would highlight the Menu straightaway. It's the little things that make all the difference :thumbsup:
Dave

Silverstar

Android Auto Coolwalk

Post by Silverstar » Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:23 pm

AnubisZed wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:10 pm
Silverstar wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 6:36 pm The layout looks very similar to Apple Car Play.
I've always prefered the look of Apple's CarPlay layout, but not that you can't skip from one section to another, instead you have to scroll all the way. With AA you can skip sections which is much easier, IMHO :thumbsup: For instance in the last picture above, if I had the play button highlighted (which is what I do all the time while driving anyway), if I wanted to go over to the menu button (multiple dots, far right, bottom one) then in CarPlay i'd have to scroll to the Skip Forward button, then onto the map and the Search button, then the Newark would be highlighted, then Work, then Settings, then it would go to the Google Map icon (on the side bar), then down to Apple Music, Phone, Hey Google and then finally onto the Menu option. Now with AA you simply flick to the right twice (Map and then right side bar) and scroll down, or if you'd been there previousley it would highlight the Menu straightaway. It's the little things that make all the difference :thumbsup:
That's interesting although for various reasons you will never pry me away from my Apple devices no matter how much easier scrolling on AA is :rofl:

For me if I am in the same position as you mentioned I just hit the menu button on the iDrive controller and hey presto I am there or I just use Siri and say open Waze e.g. Also I find it easier with the layout set to LHD cars rather than for RHD in CarPlay.
2009 sdrive30i auto Sapphire Black / Coral Red