Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Weird brake warning

Jasonn

Weird brake warning

Post by Jasonn » Mon Mar 13, 2023 6:40 pm

Afternoon all,

Bit of a weird one.

Got in the car, red ramp light and brake pads "worn" no prewarning (yellow ramp) - looking through the spokes, loads of wear left, looked on idrive/service indicator around 7k miles left on the front, 30k on the rears. Stopped car and went indoors for a browse on the Internet to see if its a known problem, got back in car and all normal, warning gone no exclamation mark.

Next morning, it did it again, so squeezed the sensor block connectors under the bonnet, all nice and tight, started car all clear again. Went out earlier and its done it again, had a new battery fitted and coded just before Christmas (it's my daily so doesn't sit around for any time).

Has anyone got any ideas?

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Weird brake warning

Post by Pondrew » Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:25 pm

It could be that your front pads are low enough for the wear sensor to be intermittently touching the disc, so making a circuit and showing the lights up.
The way the sensor is located in the cut-out groove on the pad is not exactly 'high precision' and they can move around a bit.
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

Jasonn

Weird brake warning

Post by Jasonn » Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:34 pm

Cheers Pondrew, I'll see if my local indy can stick it on the ramp (he's pretty decent like that)

Jasonn

Weird brake warning

Post by Jasonn » Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:28 pm

Interesting... Nothing unusual under the car but decided to follow the sensor cables the black plastic clip that holds both of the connectors to a bracket near the suspension strut was more than a little loose - I've bodged it with a bit of gaffer tape and (so far) I haven't had the warning light come on again - it it stays off for the next week I'll do a more permanent fix

Jasonn

Weird brake warning

Post by Jasonn » Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:34 am

Pondrew wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:25 pm It could be that your front pads are low enough for the wear sensor to be intermittently touching the disc, so making a circuit and showing the lights up.
The way the sensor is located in the cut-out groove on the pad is not exactly 'high precision' and they can move around a bit.
My error - it's the back brakes showing 6k left with 30k on the front.

Gave the back sensor a wiggle but seems solid driving home hit another f*king pothole and it came on after parking up - think it'll be worth changing them out now

Jasonn

Weird brake warning

Post by Jasonn » Sat May 13, 2023 4:06 pm

OK - now I'm getting the warning on the front brakes, loads of meat on them - last month the I drive said I had 34k miles left, now 500 back brakes say 5k left.

I'm convinced these f**king potholes are knackering the sensors

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Weird brake warning

Post by Pondrew » Sat May 13, 2023 7:07 pm

Jasonn wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 4:06 pm OK - now I'm getting the warning on the front brakes, loads of meat on them - last month the I drive said I had 34k miles left, now 500 back brakes say 5k left.

I'm convinced these f**king potholes are knackering the sensors
The sensors are not linked to the i-drive, apart from when they 'trigger'.
The i-Drive miles to change figures are preset in the computer and then it monitors the number of wheel rotations, to start counting down. It can't tell how you use your brakes, so is a 'generic' estimate.
The sensors are a piece of metal surrounded in a plastic shroud. When the pads wear down to where the sensor is, the plastic is worn off by the disc and then exposes the metal which touches the steel disc. This creates a 'dead short' in the sensor and puts the light on and overrides the i-Drive distance estimate.
Disconnecting the sensors, or even cutting them off and terminating the two wires in a small terminal block will stop the light, permanently.
Sensors are designed as a 'last line of defence', installed for people who never check their brake pads for wear and rely on the 'estimate' of the computer.
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Weird brake warning

Post by Nictrix » Sat May 13, 2023 10:12 pm

From what I have seen brake pad sensors are all set wrong and trigger far too early, often with more than half of the pad material left.
What this means though is that people who cannot check the brakes themselves rely on garages once the sensor has triggered and the garage will change out the pads. More money for the garages, instead of one set of pad changes per x miles they get two.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

Jasonn

Weird brake warning

Post by Jasonn » Sun May 14, 2023 12:41 pm

I'm a bit retentive on brakes, I give them a visual check every couple of weeks rather than rely on any sensors.

Had a TR7 and went down to the metal on the fronts once - now I check my brakes regularly

Jasonn

Weird brake warning

Post by Jasonn » Sat Nov 11, 2023 1:10 am

Update, I had the sensors swapped out a couple of weeks ago - touch wood it's all been good since, so it must've been a dodgy sensor

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Weird brake warning

Post by B21 » Sat Nov 11, 2023 10:30 am

Jasonn wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 1:10 am Update, I had the sensors swapped out a couple of weeks ago - touch wood it's all been good since, so it must've been a dodgy sensor
Good to know so many times these systems cry wolf..
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Weird brake warning

Post by flybobbie » Sat Nov 11, 2023 8:00 pm

Jasonn wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 12:41 pm I'm a bit retentive on brakes, I give them a visual check every couple of weeks rather than rely on any sensors.

Had a TR7 and went down to the metal on the fronts once - now I check my brakes regularly
Brakes on my TR7 were dreadful, surprised you wore them out.

Jasonn

Weird brake warning

Post by Jasonn » Sun Nov 12, 2023 5:47 pm

B21 wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 10:30 am
Jasonn wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 1:10 am Update, I had the sensors swapped out a couple of weeks ago - touch wood it's all been good since, so it must've been a dodgy sensor
That's why I posted, just in case anyone else experiences the same - I don't trust the electronic thingymajiggs

Jasonn

Weird brake warning

Post by Jasonn » Sun Nov 12, 2023 5:48 pm

flybobbie wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 8:00 pm
Jasonn wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 12:41 pm I'm a bit retentive on brakes, I give them a visual check every couple of weeks rather than rely on any sensors.

Brakes on my TR7 were dreadful, surprised you wore them out.
It's a skill I possess - managed to kill the diff on the TR as well

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Weird brake warning

Post by B21 » Sun Nov 12, 2023 7:30 pm

Jasonn wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 5:47 pm
B21 wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 10:30 am
That's why I posted, just in case anyone else experiences the same - I don't trust the electronic thingymajiggs
I guess the good news is that providing you don’t skimp and fit fresh sensors each time you change the pads and reset the mileage / time counters it’s likely to save you from scored discs … :thumbsup:
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup: