Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

New to the forum.

First port of call for new members
DronePilot

New to the forum.

Post by DronePilot » Sun Mar 12, 2023 11:54 pm

I just purchased a 2005 z4 with 61,000 today. The guy I got it from parked it because the top would not go down. He had the cargo shelf halfway down. I put the other side down and the top works great. I didn't do this in front of him. I currently have 3 light on the dash and no clock function after battery replacement. Air bag light, yellow brake light and dynamic stability control. Any ideas??
IMG_4041.jpg
IMG_4041.jpg (66.12 KiB) Viewed 557 times
IMG_4040.jpg
IMG_4040.jpg (78.3 KiB) Viewed 557 times
IMG_4039.jpg
IMG_4039.jpg (62.13 KiB) Viewed 557 times

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

New to the forum.

Post by MikeyH » Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:07 am

Welcome to the forum DronePilot, great colour car. Good luck with the dash lights, someone on here is bound to know what is wrong. :thumbsup:
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

New to the forum.

Post by Mr Tidy » Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:20 am

Hi and welcome to the forum. :thumbsup:

With that roof "problem" hopefully you got a good deal on a low-mileage Z4!

Random warning lights often seem to appear when the battery is dying/dead. A good starting point might be to get the fault codes read and cleared then see if any return.
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Zedebee
Lifer
Lifer

New to the forum.

Post by Zedebee » Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:35 am

Welcome to the forum. If you use the search function to search for “trifecta”, you will get lots of threads on 3-light combinations. With no ABS light, it could be a steering angle sensor fault. But, as Mr Tidy says, better to get your codes read / reset and see what stays on.
2003 Maldives Blue 3.0i auto
Previously: Maldives Blue 2.5i manual (its back!) and another, and a Monaco Blue 3.0Si coupe

paddy wright
Lifer
Lifer

New to the forum.

Post by paddy wright » Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:48 am

Welcome- nice looking Z!
Z4 2.2 sterling grey,Msport seats,retrofit cupholders,cruise,footwell lights,sound gen and mfsw,18"ellipsoids,xenons+light washers,ZHPknob,folding mirrors,3"stubby,update wheel caps,gateway300 ipod, wind deflector to keep the wife happy!

DMike

New to the forum.

Post by DMike » Mon Mar 13, 2023 5:20 am

Welcome to the forum, you have found a good looking classic with an intact whippy and all! Love how the front looks without a licence plate.
2005 Z4 3.0i Sterling grey

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

New to the forum.

Post by MikeyH » Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:01 am

DMike wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 5:20 am Welcome to the forum, you have found a good looking classic with an intact whippy and all! Love how the front looks without a licence plate.
Don’t worry the whippy problem can be sorted :rofl: :thumbsup:
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

New to the forum.

Post by enuff_zed » Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:16 am

Hello and welcome to the madhouse.

The clock is simple to reset. Hold the button with the clock on it, between the dials until the clock flashes 12:00. Then use the S/R button beside it to set the hours. Press the clock button again to select minutes and repeat the process. Finally press the clock button a third time to finish the setting.
If you have had a new battery fitted then that is not quite so likely to be the cause of the three lights you have.
If it were one of the wheel sensors you would usually expect to see the tyre pressure light on as well.
So we are looking at either one of the two sensors on the side of the brake master cylinder, or the yaw sensor which is mounted under the seat on the right-hand side (assuming the same layout as the UK).
Looking at your photos, this seems highly unlikely :D ), but check the carpets aren't wet under the seats as this can cause the yaw sensor to fail.

Potentially it could also be the actual DSC unit playing up, but lets keep fingers crossed for the cheaper options first. :roll:

As already mentioned, before you go any further though, you need to get the codes read.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

DronePilot

New to the forum.

Post by DronePilot » Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:10 pm

Here’s the good news. I fixed the top by putting the package shelf in the correct position. Once I replace the pads and rotors I’ll take it up a shop and have it scanned. All of this for $5,000. And it is a 3.0

N4LLY

New to the forum.

Post by N4LLY » Mon Mar 13, 2023 6:38 pm

Most excellent ! :thumbsup: Congrat's

2014 20 M sport Valencia Orange

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

New to the forum.

Post by enuff_zed » Mon Mar 13, 2023 6:46 pm

DronePilot, I have just re-read your post and we may have mis-read which lights you have. Airbag light is not one of the 'trifecta'.
If you get a chance post a photo of the actual lights please.
Plus the results of your code reading. :thumbsup:

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

DronePilot

New to the forum.

Post by DronePilot » Mon Mar 13, 2023 6:56 pm

I have the yellow brake light and dsc lights on. The air bag light might be sensor. I want to get as many lights off prior to taking look at the airbag issue.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

New to the forum.

Post by enuff_zed » Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:26 pm

DronePilot wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 6:56 pm I have the yellow brake light and dsc lights on. The air bag light might be sensor. I want to get as many lights off prior to taking look at the airbag issue.
OK, back to the basics again then.
Come back to us with codes for more accurate guidance.
Nothing is insurmountable though. :thumbsup:

DronePilot

New to the forum.

Post by DronePilot » Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:37 am

I scanned and cleared the following codes. P1446 evap code. P0700 Tells the pcm the tcm has a code. BMW specific code P0963 Transmission solenoid A high. Transmission is shifting well and think it might have been a sticking solenoid.

Billbob10

New to the forum.

Post by Billbob10 » Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:45 am

Welcome to the forum ,nice car identical to mine ,you must be a person of great taste!
Stirling grey 3.0 bog standard apart from DLV back box