Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Lineker. Winner or Woketard w@nker?

Discuss anything non Z4 related here

Lineker. Winner or woketard?

Winner
30%
Woketard
70%

Total votes: 47

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:40 pm

sars wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:31 pm
coldel wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:00 am All that aside, that wasn't really the point of Linekers tweet. It is the 'panic the nation' language used by Braverman to dehumanise, to make them the enemy, to make all Tory voting nationlists who are potentially leaning away come back onside.
This
Nanu wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:25 pm To liken the current situation to 1930's Germany which resulted in 6 million Jews being exterminated was just ignorant. Many will object, yes but that comment was sick.
A few years ago, just after we voted to leave the EU, I was in Germany, talking to a German colleague, he couldn’t believe why we as a nation would want to leave the EU. Pretty much every German I’ve spoken to then and since, thought we were crazy to leave. Anyway, he couldn’t understand how we were convinced to leave, my response was similar to Gary Linekers, how did Hitler get his followers to massacre over six million Jews, it didn’t just happen overnight, it was a progressive, ever increasing rhetoric and the demonisation of the Jews during the 1930’s. We had years of the Conservatives and their press blaming everything that was wrong with this country on the European Union and the only way we can make everything better was to leave. Now that we’ve left, they need a new enemy to divert and distract from the realities of our economic issues and whom better that Asylum seekers who have no voice. I think that’s what Lineker was trying to say with the limitations of Twitter.
Oh ffs, seriously???!!! How to causal-deflect, whitewash, generalise and legitimise WOKEness and spurious immigration!
And if you haven't heard already, Twitter doesn't have many limitations these days.
Keep up!
:headbang:
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

sars
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sars » Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:31 am

“All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent”
We should then add, and vilify them that do speak up
:poke:
Gorgeous SFR Z4 M40i 8)
Gone 2017 Iridium SL400, 2015 435d xDrive Convertible, 2012 E350 CDi Convertible, 2010 DSB Z4 sdrive30i, 2008 Audi A4 Cabriolet, 2006 Phoenix Yellow Z4 2.5Si, 2003 Saab 9-3 Convertible

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:42 am

The same approach that Russia is using now with success to their population. The West is coming to get them so we have to attack before they do.

The German comparison in the run up to Hitler is something that is repeated by so many countries over the years, and entire population groups that will buy into it.
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

TitanTim
Lifer
Lifer

Post by TitanTim » Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:52 am

pvr wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:42 am The same approach that Russia is using now with success to their population. The West is coming to get them so we have to attack before they do.

The German comparison in the run up to Hitler is something that is repeated by so many countries over the years, and entire population groups that will buy into it.
You do wonder in this day and age how much news is censored in Russia and how seemingly the Russian population is being brainwashed and lied too with regime tosh. I'm amazed their isn't more backlash against Putin than there has already been, especially as he is now a signed up certified criminal.

Still hoping the day will come when Putin will be overthrown from within and him and his cohorts are handed over for a well overdue criminal trial. Can't wait to see this happen.

Tim.

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:57 am

I spent a year and a bit working in Russia, they are definitely brainwashed there and are not the most pleasant to be amongst. There is little hope that he would get overthrown from within and even if he suddenly died by falling from a hospital window, the next president is going to be the same type again.
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

coldel

Post by coldel » Sat Mar 18, 2023 2:34 pm

Nanu wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:17 pm You state quite correctly that over half arriving on small boats were granted asylum. You appear to be assuming that as a result, they are genuine asylum seekers. (Apologies if I am incorrect)

Just to put that into context however, when an Albanian national applies for asylum in EU countries, they have legislation that deem Albania to be a safe country and as a result have zero tolerance and they are sent back to Albania.

In 2022, just over 12,000 arrived in the UK with approx 55% of Albanians applying for asylum in the UK being granted with only a few hundred returned.

Just because the percentage of asylum claims being granted is high in the UK it doesn't necessarily prove they are genuine. More like we have a very poor immigration judiciary, exceptional lawyers or a very lax asylum system when compared with the EU. I suspect the latter.
And what empirical evidence do you have for this aside from your own disbelief and incredulity?
Just because you dont think the UK process is right, doesn't mean it isn't.
Currently BMW Z4 E85 3.0si
Previously
BMW Z4 E86 3.0si
Vauxhall VX220 Turbo
Toyota Celica ST205 GT4
Nissan R33 Skyline GTST
Vauxhall VX220 NA
Nissan 350z

Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nanu » Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:23 pm

You really must get over the Brexit issue sars!

We left so we could have sovereignty over our own country and let our elected politicians and judges make decisions on our behalf.

If we didn't like those decisions, then we can kick them out, unlike the EU officials who we didn't vote for.

If you really think this country is capable of demonising refugees, genuine or otherwise which will result in anything like the holocaust, then I feel sorry for you. As for them having no voice, try telling that to the people in towns and cities across the country who have had hotels taken over without being consulted or to the thousands of staff at said hotels who without any notice have been kicked out of their jobs as a result.
G29 M30i M Sport San Francisco Red

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White

Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nanu » Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:32 pm

And what empirical evidence do you have for this aside from your own disbelief and incredulity?
Just because you dont think the UK process is right, doesn't mean it isn't.
[/quote]
Try this graph, produced by the unbiased BBC
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-03-19 202922.png
Screenshot 2023-03-19 202922.png (114.98 KiB) Viewed 336 times

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White

coldel

Post by coldel » Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:43 am

...and wonderfully, that same article you pulled the chart from explains why this chart is not something you can use to just make a like for like comparison of, that Germany and France are processing refugees at an exponentially faster rate than the UK (as we are terrible at it and people are sitting in backlogs) - otherwise the chart above also ways that France takes in 10 times the amount of refugees than the uk on average, which we also know isn't true. Your assumption is not provable from this data, unless of course your pre-conceived biases want it to be so.
Previously
BMW Z4 E86 3.0si
Vauxhall VX220 Turbo
Toyota Celica ST205 GT4
Nissan R33 Skyline GTST
Vauxhall VX220 NA
Nissan 350z

Vornwend

Post by Vornwend » Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:54 am

Nanu wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:03 pm Re the reference to modern slavery. Why would someone pay thousands of pounds to people smugglers to come to this country to be then become trapped as “ slaves”. That is the point of the legislation, these people are not being forced to come here.

As for visa requirements, normally you only need a passport for departure, it’s upon arrival that you need to show a visa. Also you can apply for a tourist visa on line. If the country you’re in has access to the internet, say Albania, Pakistan or India where many are currently coming from, then you can apply.
Are you really saying you don't think modern slavery is a thing? It's the product of someone's imagination? People are not put under any duress or subject to any manipulation?

A combination of carrier sanctions and restrictive visa policies leave no other alternative than boats for many. Alternatively, and perhaps this is you view, they are all risking their lives because every single one of them is such a bad actor that they could never obtain a tourist visa as you have suggested is so easy to do?

It obviously salves your conscience to try and characterise all these people as illegitimate arrivals and I don't think I'm going to be able to convince you otherwise. Elsewhere people will continue to raise concerns about the immigration bill and it's indiscriminate effect on genuine asylum seekers or victims of modern slavery.
Now: 2004 Z4 3.0i - Merlot Red
Before: VW Corrado VR6 Storm - Classic Green

sars
Lifer
Lifer

Post by sars » Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:40 am

Nanu wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:23 pm You really must get over the Brexit issue sars!
Yes because it's going so well for us :thumbsup:
Gorgeous SFR Z4 M40i 8)
Gone 2017 Iridium SL400, 2015 435d xDrive Convertible, 2012 E350 CDi Convertible, 2010 DSB Z4 sdrive30i, 2008 Audi A4 Cabriolet, 2006 Phoenix Yellow Z4 2.5Si, 2003 Saab 9-3 Convertible

coldel

Post by coldel » Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:56 pm

Brexit has not yet manifested itself as its still in its infancy, I think we are all aware that it was always going to be a nightmare for trade in that time, again unless you stupidly believe Tory rhetoric about it being 'the easiest deal in history' - trade deals never are easy, and are highly complex.

But anyway back on topic though, again Nanu you misunderstand the point of Lineker's tweet. His original tweet was to simply state that the policy is awful, and certainly from a point of view of basic humanity, it is. It was only when another random user called him out of order did he state 'This is just an immeasurably cruel policy directed at the most vulnerable people in language that is not dissimilar to that used by Germany in the 30s, and I’m out of order?'

There is no reference to Nazi's or the Holocaust. What there is reference to is the rise of nationalism in 1930's Germany, of which there were many politicians involved in its growth along with a particular one that went on to lead the country into what we know as Nazi Germany. Where the leaders who were in positions of influence used language specifically to generate fear, and hatred, of a particular group of people. The idea that this policy is in some way a good thing for irregular immigrants is laughable.

Immigration has been a thing for centuries, its not new, its not an invasion. The issue here is that the government has been grossly at fault for managing it efficiently. Stop worrying about Lineker and point your ire at a government that has lurched from disaster to disaster and has taken its eye off the ball in terms of running the basics of a country in a diverse and connected world.
Previously
BMW Z4 E86 3.0si
Vauxhall VX220 Turbo
Toyota Celica ST205 GT4
Nissan R33 Skyline GTST
Vauxhall VX220 NA
Nissan 350z

Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nanu » Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:42 pm

sars wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:40 am
Nanu wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:23 pm You really must get over the Brexit issue sars!
Yes because it's going so well for us :thumbsup:
It is surprisingly. Germany on the brink of recession, Have you seen the riots in France because of what Macron has been forced to do with pensions.

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:48 pm

Heard on the lunchtime news that asylum seekers residing in the UK (vast majority in England), waiting for the Gov to sort them out, are costing us £6,000,000 PER DAY!

Just saying! :x
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nanu » Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:55 pm

Migration has been a thing for generations but economic migrants in their thousands being hosed in hotels at huge expense to the tax payer is a new thing. Try thinking of those ex employees who have been kicked out of a job in the same hotels when they are taken over.

Genuine asylum seekers seeking refuge in this country I am in favour of. Refugees from Poland in the 30s have married into my family so I understand what it means to flee from persecution especially in the era we are discussing.

Please don't conflate genuine asylum seekers with economic migrants. The two are very much not the same.

As for modern day slavery, why would someone pay gangs thousands of pounds to become their slaves in this country?

I suppose you think Emal Kochai is a genuine refugee or a victim and deserves to come to the UK as he states he will. Or the many others who have applied for asylum in other EU countries and been refused, so try their luck here?

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White