Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

My car saga continues....

Discussion of other cars non-Z4
sw4nny

Post by sw4nny » Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:02 am

sars wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:00 pm Sorry Pondrew, that’s just meh, it’s like you’ve given up :lol:
Just to but in on this private members club,if you cant find something more entertaining than that for for 16k you must be bored of looking.
I agree with Sars,Pondew its past your bed time ,or at least past your internet search time
E85 3.oi titan silver,Maldives blue E85 3.0i gone but not forgotten

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:08 am

I quite like the idea of an X150 XKR for if/when I ever become unable to use 3 pedals.

They look good to me Andrew, but maybe not in that colour combination!

Then again next week you'll be looking for a Wartburg or a Trabant. :lol:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:09 am

I was NOT expecting the hostility towards a classic British car TBH.

Not that I give a feck what anyone else thinks, thank God. :thumbsup:
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:11 am

Mr Tidy wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:08 am Then again next week you'll be looking for a Wartburg or a Trabant.
Always had a soft spot for a Moskvitch TBH. My uncle had one in the '70s! :D
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:12 am

Pondrew wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:49 pm
Chris_D wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:21 pm That's the car equivalent of a 'ten-to-elevener' (the type of bird usually seen through beer goggles left in the pub worth trapping off with before chucking out time)
You didn't need to elaborate, I think we all know what an 'eleven pinter' is...

An XK is not one of those, though! You can't educate pork! :poke:
Pondrew wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:49 pm
Chris_D wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:21 pm That's the car equivalent of a 'ten-to-elevener' (the type of bird usually seen through beer goggles left in the pub worth trapping off with before chucking out time)
You didn't need to elaborate, I think we all know what an 'eleven pinter' is...

An XK is not one of those, though! You can't educate pork! :poke:
Irriz tho Pondman. It's as fugly af.
But we know ur going to buy it whatever we say.
Can't wait.
:evil:
:lol:
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

IRD

Post by IRD » Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:17 am

Pondrew wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:15 pm So....it's been nearly a month since I have been carless (yes we have the Z4 and a daily but not 'mine'). I have bought a motorbike in the last few weeks which is in bits in the garage awaiting parts, but that is unimportant.

I thought I would quite like a 'modern classic' car, as I don't drive much these days and like to tinker with stuff..
I thought I would look at XJSs, Stags, etc. Well that hasn't worked, as prices are all over the shop and piles of rust are being touted for £10k plus.

So my search morphed into the Jag XK8 (even though my sister had an early XKR which was truly terrible). They are being bandied as the next 'big' modern classic, so my wallet thought they make sense.I have done a lot of reading about them and decided a later, 2002 onwards with the 4.2 engine, were OK. Then looking into them further found even later ones with low miles are utter rust buckets!

So I started looking at the later XK (X150) cars. Aluminium bodies, so rust on the surface not a problem. Parts are surprisingly cheap if you avoid JLR. So I thought an early 4.2 n/a would suit me fine. Then (me being me) thought "for a couple of grand more I could get the XKR version".

So as we stand today, I am going to look at the one in the link below next week!
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-detail ... sort=price

I must be getting old or mental, or both! :D
I wondered the other day when you were pleading poverty over tv costs how long before the search for a new car would resume. I think you will need deep pockets to run this one. Not sure how that colour would impact on resale either. But have to say I always enjoy reading about progress followed by the outcome and subsequent sale. I know you will keep us all informed. 👍

MikeyH
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MikeyH » Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:23 am

Pondrew wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:15 pm So....it's been nearly a month since I have been carless (yes we have the Z4 and a daily but not 'mine'). I have bought a motorbike in the last few weeks which is in bits in the garage awaiting parts, but that is unimportant.

I thought I would quite like a 'modern classic' car, as I don't drive much these days and like to tinker with stuff..
I thought I would look at XJSs, Stags, etc. Well that hasn't worked, as prices are all over the shop and piles of rust are being touted for £10k plus.

So my search morphed into the Jag XK8 (even though my sister had an early XKR which was truly terrible). They are being bandied as the next 'big' modern classic, so my wallet thought they make sense.I have done a lot of reading about them and decided a later, 2002 onwards with the 4.2 engine, were OK. Then looking into them further found even later ones with low miles are utter rust buckets!

So I started looking at the later XK (X150) cars. Aluminium bodies, so rust on the surface not a problem. Parts are surprisingly cheap if you avoid JLR. So I thought an early 4.2 n/a would suit me fine. Then (me being me) thought "for a couple of grand more I could get the XKR version".

So as we stand today, I am going to look at the one in the link below next week!
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-detail ... sort=price

I must be getting old or mental, or both! :D
How on earth can that be a classic it’s newer than my Z4. Nice though :thumbsup:
Now, Sterling grey Z4 2.2 with cup holders, stubby aerial and sport seats. Roadsters ‘cause they’re great with the roof down.
Ford Anglia, Red Sprite, a few MG midgets, MGB Roadster and yellow Ford Capri, all gone many years now.

skmattwell

Post by skmattwell » Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:42 am

Fair enough the rear end isn't great, but I honesty don't think it deserves all the hate. I like the overall shape and colour, although not for £16k personally

Won't say it too loud, but I think it looks better than any post 2016 z4 :fuelfire:
Last edited by skmattwell on Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:43 am

If nothing else this thread has livened the forum up a bit, cos it's been as dull as ditch water recently! :thumbsup: :P

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Chris_D » Sun Mar 12, 2023 1:06 am

Pondrew wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:43 am If nothing else this thread has livened the forum up a bit, cos it's been as dull as ditch water recently! :thumbsup: :P
you-must-feel-proud.jpg
you-must-feel-proud.jpg (52.27 KiB) Viewed 407 times
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Sun Mar 12, 2023 8:37 am

I don't think you need telling how to suck eggs Mr P but if a XKR is to be the next one i would sit tight at least 6 weeks & watch how long similar privately owned cars take to sell . I would suspect its a lengthy process .
Any car on £630 ved & a severe thirst for fuel = small pool of buyers .
Never having looked at any used Jag as a possible for me i was genuinely staggered at the ask price with your chosen one - a 57plate 57k 4.2 V8 at £17k :o i'm not going into what that can buy in todays car market , as you point out each to their own but i did have a brief look on AT & similar ( more appealing paint + trim combo ) cars albeit with more miles can be had for sub £10k
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-detail ... sed&page=2

it also cemented why i would never consider a Jaguar of any kind , in my eyes they don't age well in terms of styling , no doubt modern + appealing at the time but fastforward you have a car that actually looks its age :cry:

Assume you have seen the below one & discounted it for some reason ?

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-detail ... sed&page=4
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

craig3.2
Lifer
Lifer

Post by craig3.2 » Sun Mar 12, 2023 9:05 am

mr wilks wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 8:37 am I don't think you need telling how to suck eggs Mr P but if a XKR is to be the next one i would sit tight at least 6 weeks & watch how long similar privately owned cars take to sell . I would suspect its a lengthy process .
Any car on £630 ved & a severe thirst for fuel = small pool of buyers .
Never having looked at any used Jag as a possible for me i was genuinely staggered at the ask price with your chosen one - a 57plate 57k 4.2 V8 at £17k :o i'm not going into what that can buy in todays car market , as you point out each to their own but i did have a brief look on AT & similar ( more appealing paint + trim combo ) cars albeit with more miles can be had for sub £10k
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-detail ... sed&page=2

it also cemented why i would never consider a Jaguar of any kind , in my eyes they don't age well in terms of styling , no doubt modern + appealing at the time but fastforward you have a car that actually looks its age :cry:

Assume you have seen the below one & discounted it for some reason ?

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-detail ... sed&page=4
The one in the bottom link,Silver at 13.5k, looks decent,and better choice/nicer colour than the funny Light mint green colour of the one Pondy put p.
Interlagos Blue M RDSTR,2008. Logic7 dsp Hifi;satnav,stubby,htd seats,etc,etc.
Black 2005 3.0i NOW SOLD(and missed)

Sludgepump

Post by Sludgepump » Sun Mar 12, 2023 9:12 am

Well it's the car I would go for if I was letting the Z4 go. Got real presence, big V8, bit of wood (I like wood as well). I think they look great and getting to the bottom of the depreciation curve by No I would have thought. The early ones are in the low tax bracket as well.
03 3 Litre Auto in Maldives Blue with beige interior

deltasierra

Post by deltasierra » Sun Mar 12, 2023 9:18 am

The problem with Jag XKs is rust, good rust free examples are not easy to find and are expensive. You will need to be good with DIY repairs but plenty of S/H spares available, most have gearbox problems at 70k+, check for a clunk changing from forward to reverse. I’ve had a couple and originally wanted another, then saw a Z4, tried it, a lot of fun for little cash.

biZ4rreMids

Post by biZ4rreMids » Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:48 am

Stay strong Ponders and this desire to buy British will soon pass. Then buy a 911.

Photos of your zed thou would be much appreciated.
Speed Yellow Porsche Boxster S
Previous:
Melbourne red 2016 20i MSport with a few subtle mods
Titanium Silver 2004 3.0SE with run flats