Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

G29 brake pads figment issues

KcM Z4 30i

Post by KcM Z4 30i » Sat Mar 11, 2023 1:38 pm

Hi all, I own a 2022 Z4 G29 30i with the OEM performance brake kit. I decided to try other brake pads since I did not really like the feel of the OEM brakes. So I ordered Tarox strada pads, specific for the G29 Z4. The rear pads fitted juist fine, the front pads did not. The holes for the caliper pens did not line up with those in the pads. So I thought it was a Tarox issue. I then ordered EBC pads, again specifically for the G29. Rear fitted well, front pads had the exact same fitment issues as the Tarox.

So…two reputable brake companies have pads for the G29 that do not fit my brake caliper. Bmw is baffled since they ordered both pads themselves using the cross reference to the oem parts numbers. They are still investigating. So, now I’m wondering….is it just my car or have other owners experienced the same issue? I can’t believe that I’m the only one that have tried aftermarket pads on my Z4 G29. Sorry for the long post, wanted to describe the context.

Regards

Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Argyll Andy » Sat Mar 11, 2023 2:23 pm

Firstly hello and welcome :thumbsup:

Maybe stating the obvious her but by any chance have the front brakes been upgraded, to maybe M40i ones, if they’re different sizes and if that’s even possible?

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

KcM Z4 30i

Post by KcM Z4 30i » Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:23 pm

Hi, thanks!

Well, according to BMW the brakes are the same across the z4 range, no difference between the M40 and the 30 performance brakes. Yes, there is a difference between the performance and standard brakes, offered in some countries with the 18” wheels. But for the performance brakes there is no difference, all the same Brembo calipers and 348 diameter front rotors, 345 in the rear. Moreover, te same setup is used across a number of 3 serie and 4 serie BMW’s. Supposedly there has been no changes in the calipers or pads according to BMW, that would have been signaled with a alert of some sort…understandably since aftermarket suppliers would have to modify their parts as well. So neither BMW, nor Tarox or EBC received any form of notice…

So…is it just my car? I’m sure more G29 owners have upgraded to aftermarket brake pads, wonder what their experience is and what brand they choose.

q96169we

Post by q96169we » Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:14 pm

I think the front pads in a set are inside/outside or nearside/offside specific. So maybe wrong installing position?