Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Heads up afe pro dry filter

"M" Specific discussion
Sajk

Post by Sajk » Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:59 pm

I bought one of these before I got the eventuri as part of a failed experiment to get some more intake noise from the stock system. I was cleaning out this weekend and noticed that with the airbox out the afe filter almost fits the box but not properly. The one I bought is just not quite the right shape.

Looks to be a decent filter but if you happen to buy one check the fit. I have let them know in case it was a bad batch or something. The filter seal ends up getting torn as it does not fit over the lip on all sides of the bottom of the air box and actually leaves a small gap where unfiltered air could get in.

XMetal

Post by XMetal » Sat Mar 11, 2023 6:51 pm

If you're talking about their drop-in filter replacement version (not their cold air intake), I have one for about 5 or 6 years now without issue. The seal fits perfectly over the bottom of the stock air box. You have to be careful when fitting the top side of the air box as part of the seal can get pinched when put on at an angle, but this is true for the OE filter as well. I clean the filter every year or so and I also do an annual oil analysis that shows no excess silicon (an indication of bad air filtration) with the aFe pro dry filter compared to the OE filter.

Sajk

Post by Sajk » Sun Mar 12, 2023 1:19 pm

I am indeed. Mine must be a dud. The angle of the line where the filter becomes smaller is slightly wrong meaning the filter sits proud of the bottom of the box. Good news on the oil analysis.
Attachments
eng_pm_aFe-Power-31-10144-Magnum-FLOW-Pro-DRY-S-BMW-Series-5-E60-E61-Z4M-Coupe-Roadster-E85-E86-N52-M54-S54-6734_1.jpg
eng_pm_aFe-Power-31-10144-Magnum-FLOW-Pro-DRY-S-BMW-Series-5-E60-E61-Z4M-Coupe-Roadster-E85-E86-N52-M54-S54-6734_1.jpg (67.77 KiB) Viewed 220 times