Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Brake light bulb replacement.

TONYMOR

Post by TONYMOR » Thu Mar 09, 2023 7:51 pm

My offside brake light bulb intermittently goes out, warning light on dash. Can anyone tell me the bulb removal procedure and how to check the intermittent issue?

sw4nny

Post by sw4nny » Thu Mar 09, 2023 8:19 pm

Never had to replace a rear light bulb in 10 years of zed ownership,but when you remove the bulb i would check the contact points are free from rust and clean and ensure the bulb is seated correctly when replacing.
E85 3.oi titan silver,Maldives blue E85 3.0i gone but not forgotten

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Thu Mar 09, 2023 9:06 pm

Just un-clip the oval cover back of light, they twist and pull out......
But stupid design, reinventing the wheel, the bulbs push into holder and can easily fall out again when reinserting.
Whatever was wrong with the old bayonet fitting..................good enough for the army.

matsmith749

Post by matsmith749 » Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:19 am

Worth checking for water in the rear light cluster whilst you are in there.

Only problem I ever had with rear light bulbs was due to water that I had never noticed - a common issue on the e89.

I noticed mine after the indicator started flashing really quickly - ended up having to replace the unit.
From Jan 2023 2016 e89 Z4 35is / mineral white / coral red interior / all the extras
SOLD 2010 e89 Z4 35is / space grey / coral red interior / all the extras
SOLD 2007 e85 Z4 3.0 si sport / midnight blue / champagne interior

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Post by B21 » Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:12 am

On the intermittent fault…the light bulb as stated push mounts in a carrier that then fits as a twist lock in the reflector..

The carrier’s internal or external contacts on older cars can be the issue as opposed to the bulb itself..

Had this issue myself..in the end due to this plus the usual indicator strip corrosion / water ingress replaced said units..
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup: