Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Potential seat change

Discussing the current generation Z4
Dave 2 dogs

Potential seat change

Post by Dave 2 dogs » Mon Mar 06, 2023 3:49 pm

Does anyone know if G29 seats will fit in a e89 ?

Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Potential seat change

Post by Argyll Andy » Mon Mar 06, 2023 4:16 pm

Having come from an E89 to a G29 my automatic instinct is to say no as there’s much more room in the G29 seats.

More than happy to measure anything you want on the G29 if that helps :thumbsup:

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

Dave 2 dogs

Potential seat change

Post by Dave 2 dogs » Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:01 pm

Argyll Andy wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 4:16 pm Having come from an E89 to a G29 my automatic instinct is to say no as there’s much more room in the G29 seats.

More than happy to measure anything you want on the G29
    if that helps :thumbsup:
    hi Andy , it fine thanks. I’m just playing with ideas because I’m bored . I thought the mods I’ve done on the e89 would keep the demons away. Unfortunately, I’m still getting twitchy for a new car ( most that I wan , I can’t afford)
    But the f type v8 or the G 29 are options for me . So , that said, I’d like your opinion on the G 29 after owning the e89 yourself. I’m looking at the m40i if i jump, the other thing is trying to gauge what my car is worth with the mods I’ve done
    I know it won’t be to everyone’s taste and is a bit bespoke

Nanu
    Lifer
    Lifer

Potential seat change

Post by Nanu » Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:44 pm

I jumped for a G29 M30i after 7 years owning a 35is.

Yes mine is down a little on power and noise but not drastically. The M40i will more than make up for that.

The G29 handles much better and the Tech is also a lot better if your into that.

One thing I do miss is the 35is was a smoother ride as even in comfort mode I find the suspension a lot stiffer in the G29, but that's why the handling is better.

I would suggest test driving as many versions of the G29 as you can before you decide. Its a beautiful car, especially in SFR which everyone knows is the best colour. :poke:
    G29 M30i M Sport San Francisco Red

Previous
    E89 35is Valencia Orange
    E89 28i Crimson
    E89 25i White

Dave 2 dogs

Potential seat change

Post by Dave 2 dogs » Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:57 pm

Thanks Nanu
    I AM trying 😱 was up for test driving one last week, it was sold
    Another on Friday, got caught in kent so had to cancel
    Think that’s sold now too , not much locally to drive ATM 😂

Nanu
    Lifer
    Lifer

Potential seat change

Post by Nanu » Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:59 pm

Good hunting :thumbsup:
    G29 M30i M Sport San Francisco Red

Previous
    E89 35is Valencia Orange
    E89 28i Crimson
    E89 25i White

Dave 2 dogs

Potential seat change

Post by Dave 2 dogs » Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:24 pm

Thanks 👍

Argyll Andy
    Lifer
    Lifer

Potential seat change

Post by Argyll Andy » Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:13 am

Dave 2 dogs, a response and I’ve copied Boyo, in as he’s asked a similar question and it may be useful to him :thumbsup: I’m also happy to copy onto your thread if you want Boyo.

I’m probably not going to help your bank balance here, but hey ho, you did ask

As mentioned I had the 35iS before the M40i. I liked it, liked the power, acceleration, speed, etc and was perfectly happy. Until I got the M40i itch and started making enquiries (sounding familiar)

I genuinely mean from the minute we pulled out of the dealership on the test drive, too quickly and not in a straight line, I knew that it was a different car, and in a good way. It just seemed so much quicker though on paper very similar to the 35iS.

It’s much more spacious inside, which was really important for us. I’m 6’2 and built for comfort rather than speed and at times felt the E89 a bit snug.I never really seemed to get my seating position just right. Did this within 60 seconds of getting into the G29. Boot space was also important to us as we use this solely for our fun/weekend car. I think it’s just clicked 16k and every one of those miles have been on trips, runs, or our European trip last year. We had more than enough space for 18 day’s luggage.

I’m going to do a pros and cons list to see if that helps at all, and no doubt others will have differing opinions on some, or even all, of these but that’s what you’re looking for, others opinions to help you make your decision.

This definitely isn’t “I’m in the driving gods” criteria but this car has been driven VERY hard at times and I’ve absolutely NO doubt it flatters my driving abilities by being so good an all round package. We drive as part of a group very regularly with very good drivers and varying cars including ///M’s and heavily modded E89’s not once have I been left feeling I needed either more power or better handling.

Pros

The engine is fantastic, and imo perfectly matched to the gearbox. I don’t miss the manual at all. Always had manual fun cars before the Z4’s. If I want the full hooligan experience, which this will provide, it’s into sports + and paddles then hold on. The car thinks quicker than me so why interfere. The acceleration in this thing for overtaking is just madness.

The handling is fantastic, it doesn’t have the roll, weight displacement etc of the E89. It just sits so flat and keeps traction in all but the stupidness that is me that may provoke. My E89 had new suspension on it just before I got it so this wasn’t down to tired or worn units on the E89

The brakes are very good and capable, only once have they started to fade slightly and that was totally down to how hard it was being driven over a sustained period. (I’ll mention brakes below too)

The cabin is a fantastic place to be, seats are great, space is great seating position just all what I want. I tried a new Boxster GTS 4.0 and nice as it was it felt dated and cramped inside and made me appreciate the G29 even more and decide I no longer had a Porsche itch

The tech is great, best thing for me is HUD, hardly ever look at the dashboard especially not when shifting on. The active cruise is my next favourite thing. The car does many many things that I don’t even know about and find it quite funny when you see people waxing lyrical about all the fancy stuff that theirs does and I didn’t even know mine had that capability. That reflects on me not them btw. I find the stereo ok after playing around with it a bit.

I like the look and style of the car even the front that so many people don’t like but hey ho we’re all different.

The roof speed and being able to go up or down while moving. Road noise is better than the E89 too when the roof is down.

This one may seem odd since I’ve said how it’s usually driven but there’s an economy mode. This is rarely used but when it is it’s perfect. When going to the Chunnel last year, 750 miles, I stuck it in economy mode and was returning over 40 mpg. Yes it’s gutless and boring but I was just sitting in motorway traffic with cruise on and using about half the fuel I would normally. General fuel consumption is good too. When we’re out on a forum run etc a tank of fuel will get you through the day of 300 hard miles, fuel light normally on by the end but better than expected for the performance. On the Pyrenees trip I averaged 34 ish over 4K

Cons, and there aren’t many and no big ones

The exhaust sound is almost non existent from in the car, but this is where it’s a bit odd for me. People outside the car say the sound is amazing 🤷🏼‍♂️ I was on a forum run and someone was talking about travelling behind me and the exact words used we “when I hear the roar of that b@stard it gives me the heads up he’s taking off and I get ready” To me there’s no indication of that from within the car. As you’ve mentioned an exhaust change is an option, a one I’ve looked at but I could never quite justify the £3k as a must have, maybe on the next one.

At times it can be “too quick” the speed it approaches the horizon at times can be very deceiving. I got caught out a few times early doors when I had a few brown trouser moments cornering or trying to slow down to do something. I very quickly realised this wasn’t the cars fault but that I was doing maybe 20mph quicker than I would be in anything else. Once you get used to that all good. The following of course is on my private access roads or my trips abroad but one of the biggest indicators of this is my OH. She drives everywhere at 50 mph but if we’re out hooning and need to slow down when sitting around 80 she’ll regularly ask why we’re going so slow or if there’s something wrong. It’s also a standing joke in our group that she regularly falls asleep when other members OH’s are gripping the door handles as we bounce around the countryside.

I’ve mentioned how good the brakes are above but there’s also the well known issue with them about bad design and stones getting stuck. This has happened to me at least 3 or 4 times. I accept this as an issue and carry a 9 inch flat blade screwdriver in the car. Each time it happens I get the screwdriver and push the backing plate back all the way round and the stone has fallen out. I’ve never had to remove the wheel or call assistance. PITA, yes major issue, no.

There is a much bigger blind spot in the G29 over the rear of the seats but we don’t notice it too much as the roof is almost always down.

These points are neither in the pro or con sections just observations.

It is a wide car, but also very flat, I haven’t noticed it much driving the car but people travelling behind me have said things were tight and I’ve not realised. The car tech beeps furiously at me if it’s too close so it doesn’t bother me as much. I don’t feel it’s too big/heavy but I’ve never been one for a Lotus or MX5 etc. mainly because I wouldn’t fit in the bloody things

The standard Michelins were very grippy ONCE they’d heated up, it’s now on Conti 7’s and they’re a much better tyre all round, especially noise, and give slightly better steering feel.

On the tyres, driven the way I drive mine, the tyre life isn’t great BUT my driving style and the type of car makes this totally acceptable and why this isn’t in the con’s section. I’ll be on set 3 soon enough but hopefully rears only this time

I suppose to finish it off, the negatives are very minor and this is by far the favourite car I’ve owned. If I replace it it will be with a new M40i before the end of the production run

HTH

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)

Boyo

Potential seat change

Post by Boyo » Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:00 pm

Argyll Andy wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:13 am Dave 2 dogs, a response and I’ve copied Boyo, in as he’s asked a similar question and it may be useful to him :thumbsup:
      Thanks Andy for taking the time to do such a detailed and insightful write up which is music to my ears. How many miles are you getting out of your rear tyres? Also please could I take you up on your offer to copy your response on to my thread :thumbsup:
      Current:
      718 Cayman GTS 4.0 (PDK)

Previous:
      G29 M40i - Thundernight
      718 Cayman GTS 4.0 (Manual)
      987 Boxster 2.7
      E89 2.0i M Sport (Auto)
      E89 2.0i M Sport (Manual)
      718 Cayman GTS 2.5
      E89 35is
      E85 M Roadster

Argyll Andy
      Lifer
      Lifer

Potential seat change

Post by Argyll Andy » Tue Mar 07, 2023 2:44 pm

Boyo wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:00 pm
      Argyll Andy wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:13 am Dave 2 dogs, a response and I’ve copied Boyo, in as he’s asked a similar question and it may be useful to him :thumbsup:
      Thanks Andy for taking the time to do such a detailed and insightful write up which is music to my ears. How many miles are you getting out of your rear tyres? Also please could I take you up on your offer to copy your response on to my thread :thumbsup:
      No problem, and yes I’ll amend slightly and stick it in your thread too :thumbsup:

Re the rear tyres I’m probably getting 9-10k for the rears. I’ll need to change the current ones within the next few months. I want to caveat that with a few things.

The tyres are getting pushed and hot and with the power going through the rear wheels it’s inevitable that they’re going to wear reasonably quickly when being used on forum runs and the Pyrenees etc. That’s why I never included it in the negatives because I am the cause of the wear. People like Ori who use the car more as a daily and not firing around the Scottish highlands are getting twice what I am.

Also the legal limit and the change depth on this car I found are two different things :lol: anything south of 3mm and it starts getting a bit squirrelly!! This is most definitely not helped by the Conti’s starting life new at 6.8mm. Not sure what the Michelin’s start with. But the Conti choice was a lot to do with price point, £650 v £950 for Michelins (full set) at time of change so a few miles less if the Michelin start with greater tread will be offset by the cost difference

Anything else let me know :thumbsup:

Dave 2 dogs

Potential seat change

Post by Dave 2 dogs » Tue Mar 07, 2023 4:02 pm

ARGYLL ANDY
        started of giggling like a schoolboy as you described the test drive, and it just got more and more so , the more of your thread I read !! 😂
        I see you have THOUGHT about the exhaust change, and are aware of the pricing. I’ve just ALWAYS wanted an Akrapovic, shame they didn’t do one for the E 89 , I stuck an eisenmann on mine.
        You have done NOTHING at all to put me off here. If anything, after reading all that, I just can’t WAIT to test drive one, thank you so much for the explanation, I look forward to the upgrade in grin factor 😂

Dave 2 dogs

Potential seat change

Post by Dave 2 dogs » Tue Mar 07, 2023 4:10 pm

What model do i want if i want fully loaded?

Argyll Andy
        Lifer
        Lifer

Potential seat change

Post by Argyll Andy » Tue Mar 07, 2023 4:48 pm

Dave 2 dogs wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 4:02 pm ARGYLL ANDY
        started of giggling like a schoolboy as you described the test drive, and it just got more and more so , the more of your thread I read !! 😂
        I see you have THOUGHT about the exhaust change, and are aware of the pricing. I’ve just ALWAYS wanted an Akrapovic, shame they didn’t do one for the E 89 , I stuck an eisenmann on mine.
        You have done NOTHING at all to put me off here. If anything, after reading all that, I just can’t WAIT to test drive one, thank you so much for the explanation, I look forward to the upgrade in grin factor 😂
        Glad you liked it, yeah they were showing me how everything worked before we took it out for the test drive, they switched the TC etc off but not back on. I peeled away perfectly sideways tyres smoking along the front of the glass showroom including one of the directors office who’s car it was that they’d given me a loan of :oops:

I’ve had a few on my bikes so fancied one too but tbh it’s not too high up my priority list at £3k.

Re the model you want, the M40i comes with all the engine/suspension/wheel stuff as standard but then everything is an extra. They do packs, I ticked them all so there’s everything on mine. I understand that you can now get some things as a one off payment. One example is the adaptive lights, which I missed off above. Living rurally I love these. Keep the side of the road illuminated. It was part of a pack £750 or £900, I can’t remember, but now you can buy that feature for <£200 as a one off subscription that stays with the car. The tech packs give you HUD/updated stereo etc and you need the hardware for these so they’re not available as a single upgrade like the lights, same with cruise, it’s inbuilt to the car and wouldn’t think it’d be the easiest or cheapest to retrofit. Comfort pack is around £500 and includes wind deflector. Wind deflector retrofit is circa £470 but doesn’t include the other 3 or 4 things the comfort pack does.

Hope that all makes sense.

Dave 2 dogs

Potential seat change

Post by Dave 2 dogs » Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:19 am

Thanks for the info, great read , and making me laugh again
          I had a test drive booked for this afternoon, but I want the roof down when i take it out, it’s showing awful weather here for the next two days 🥲

PSQ777

Potential seat change

Post by PSQ777 » Thu Mar 09, 2023 12:10 am

Dave 2 dogs wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:19 am Thanks for the info, great read , and making me laugh again
          I had a test drive booked for this afternoon, but I want the roof down when i take it out, it’s showing awful weather here for the next two days 🥲
          Be careful on your test drive. I also had a small mishap. I'd just left the dealer's site, pulled on to a short stretch of urban dual-carriageway, and gave the loud pedal a prod. Let's say I accidently exceeded the relatively low speed limit by rather more than I expected in about 2 seconds. This car is very quick !